Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Third/Fourth Place Play-Off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
VAR can Eff off, nailed on Croatian penalty not picked up on. What a joke

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hahahaha. This officiating is woeful

I don’t think our refs are perfect, but they are miles better than most other nations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What are these commentators on about ? Clear dive by the Croation yet they call it a clear penalty.
Having your leg kicked and trying to keep your balance before falling is not a dive. If tripping someone in the box is not a penalty then you are quite right.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What are these commentators on about ? Clear dive by the Croation yet they call it a clear penalty. The way he trailed his leg was just embarrassing.
091B4C82-0FA0-43BF-929D-2A8C12087A3E.jpeg

Getting his back leg kicked out

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having your leg kicked and trying to keep your balance before falling is not a dive. If tripping someone in the box is not a penalty then you are quite right.
He tried to go down and achieved it. The giveaway is straightening his trailing leg. So commonplace in the PL that people have forgotten it is actually cheating. See the Harry Kane handbook for winning penalties.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good game, could have gone either way. Third medal for Croatia in just six World Cups... pretty impressive.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Enjoyable first half
Good game, could have gone either way. Third medal for Croatia in just six World Cups... pretty impressive.
Yep, for such a young 'nation' too, it's really impressive.

Enjoyed this game, except Morocco's behaviour towards the ref near the end and after the final whistle. Let themselves down a bit there after having such a fantastic tournament.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’s about opinions I guess. I saw the so called contact as a dive as well. Then followed by exaggerated losing balance of his other leg,
I too thought - initially - it was a dive as it looks like he has performed the classic tumble, but after seeing it from a number of angles it is clear the defender simultaneously caught his leg and pulled his arm.

For me the problem with 3rd / 4th place match isn't the relevance or even the motivation of each team, it is the fact the officials are mailing it in and putting their feet up. The ref missed a load of yellow cards and VAR went walkabout.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s all kicking off again in French cities with Moroccan fans fighting locals and rioting in the streets….videos on the net showing police and Moroccan fans clashing and cars being set ablaze

happened when they lost in the semi final

luge

Dec 18, 2010
For all those saying that no one gives a shit about 3rd place... I made a film about the Croatian 98 side which showed that it made all the difference in the world for a new country - helping to shape it's identity in the world.

From the videos i'm seeing from Zagreb/Split/Istria tonight, 3rd place still means the world to this country... as it did to Belgium in 2018.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For all those saying that no one gives a shit about 3rd place... I made a film about the Croatian 98 side which showed that it made all the difference in the world for a new country - helping to shape it's identity in the world.

From the videos i'm seeing from Zagreb/Split/Istria tonight, 3rd place still means the world to this country... as it did to Belgium in 2018.

Yup... same here with the bronze in 1994. Ask pretty much any 40+ year old Swede about their best/happiest summer, pretty much everyone is going to say 1994.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Obv
Yup... same here with the bronze in 1994. Ask pretty much any 40+ year old Swede about their best/happiest summer, pretty much everyone is going to say 1994.
Obviously first place and then a final is better. But many other sport team competitions have this structure and i think it is worth celebrating. Should it be for every competition? No.

But WC is rare enough to do so, and it should be Euros too IMHO. - especially as there's always a team that you don't expect to get to a semi, do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here