Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Third/Fourth Place Play-Off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh look, it's yet another thread derailed and taken over by some bore in Sweden. Is his post count near 100k yet?
No the thread about the third place game was derailed by those coming in to say "I don't care about third place games".

I look forward to the game.

Every bit as interesting and nearly as glorious as the final.

Hoping for Morocco, but believe Croatias international experience will win it for them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Our players didn't even celebrate coming second - they rather churlishly took off their medals at the Euros.

I must say, in the two play-off's we've been involved in (1990, 2018) it has been a very muted and lukewarm occasion - by both fans and players. The last one against Belgium in particular - the players just looked as though they didn't want to be there.
Very few celebrate losing a final. The happiest in a tournament are usually the ones in first and third place as they end the tournament on a positive note, winning the final game.
You'd think a "not particularly successful football nation" would celebrate it though. If you were right, which doesn't appear to be the case.

And for the third time, posting videos of returning semi-finalists does not prove your point. I've already given you two examples of two 4th placed teams receiving a heroes welcome in the same way as your 3rd placed teams did. Let's see who loses this play off today and watch what happens to the 4th placed team when they return home shall we?
It depends on the nation.

Posting videos of fourth places teams getting a heroes welcome also does not prove that no one gives a shit about the bronze medal :shrug: If you look at the faces on those who won the 3rd place game and those who lost it, it will usually show you that someone indeed cares.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Very few celebrate losing a final. The happiest in a tournament are usually the ones in first and third place as they end the tournament on a positive note, winning the final game.
Yes - obviously the happiest teams are the winners. But did you watch the medal ceremony in the Euros? Our players ripped their medals off straight away. It was not a good look.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes - obviously the happiest teams are the winners. But did you watch the medal ceremony in the Euros? Our players ripped their medals off straight away. It was not a good look.
Not a good look maybe but I think it is understandable when you get so close to that win and still lose it.

Probably they'll be proud of the silver one day, bragging to their grandkids about it. Not that many English players are able to say they took a medal in a major tournament.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure that in some sports the Olympics just gives bronze medals to both the losing semi finalists (boxing for one, I think?) - much better idea.
Third place play-offs are just rubbish - of course third place teams get welcomed home. especially if they weren't expected to get that far; they would have been celebrated and welcomed home just the same had they just got to the semis. Imagine the fury of a club whose star player picked up a serious injury in a mickey mouse unwanted match. Hopefully FIFA will see sense (an unlikely concept, I agree) and ditch these matches in the future.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Imagine the fury of a club whose star player picked up a serious injury in a mickey mouse unwanted match. Hopefully FIFA will see sense (an unlikely concept, I agree) and ditch these matches in the future.
Hundreds of millions are going to watch it, most of them won't think its a "Mickey Mouse" match because they don't share the Anglicized view that the World Cup is some kind of slow pathway to the Grand-Mega Super Bowl where the winner takes it all and nothing else matters. It is indeed unlikely that FIFA will make a decision based on that, similar to how it is unlikely that they will make England auto-forfeit penalty shootouts just because it would save us all a bit of time and the players a bit of energy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
English people aren't interested. Others are.

No reason why a game is "pointless" or "should be removed" just because one not particularly successful football nation doesn't care about it.

Hundreds of millions are going to watch it, most of them won't think its a "Mickey Mouse" match because they don't share the Anglicized view that the World Cup is some kind of slow pathway to the Grand-Mega Super Bowl where the winner takes it all and nothing else matters. It is indeed unlikely that FIFA will make a decision based on that, similar to how it is unlikely that they will make England auto-forfeit penalty shootouts just because it would save us all a bit of time and the players a bit of energy.
It might 'stun' you to know that we're not all massive national team fans on here, many of us more club than country, but lay off the anti England bit eh? We get it, England are shit and England fans are entitled and deluded, no need for the repeat snidey asides.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
behave - I’ve been to a 3rd/4th at a World Cup & nations league and the atmosphere is crap and usually players can’t be bothered either

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
behave - I’ve been to a 3rd/4th at a World Cup & nations league and the atmosphere is crap and usually players can’t be bothered either
I'm guessing sometimes the atmosphere is crap and sometimes it isn't.

Are you comparing the World Cup and Nations League by the way..?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm guessing sometimes the atmosphere is crap and sometimes it isn't.

Are you comparing the World Cup and Nations League by the way..?
I’m saying any 3rd/4th game is lacking

Will be interesting to see how many Moroccans & Croats stayed out for it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m saying any 3rd/4th game is lacking

Will be interesting to see how many Moroccans & Croats stayed out for it
That is obviously one opinion.

Indeed. The biggest game in the history of Morocco, would imagine they'll have good support today as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here