Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Third/Fourth Place Play-Off.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
qatar 2022.jpg
1.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've never seen the point of these. Who remembers who finished third?

As much as the Moroccan fans have provided a great atmosphere I suspect I will be getting on with some jobs round the house with Giles Peterson on in the background.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've never seen the point of these. Who remembers who finished third?

As much as the Moroccan fans have provided a great atmosphere I suspect I will be getting on with some jobs round the house with Giles Peterson on in the background.
Lots of people :shrug:

The bronze is usually celebrated just as much as the gold.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the Olympics, yes. The World Cup, I don't think many give a shiny shite.
Well, you're wrong. Why would it mean more in the Olympics than in the World Cup?

Thats how it normally looks. Tens of thousands of people celebrating the third place.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Well, you're wrong. Why would it mean more in the Olympics than in the World Cup?

Thats how it normally looks. Tens of thousands of people celebrating the third place.

I've never watched a 3rd place playoff game. Not even England's last year.

I'm sure more than a couple of the players can't be f***ed with it either.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've never watched a 3rd place playoff game. Not even England's last year.

I'm sure more than a couple of the players can't be f***ed with it either.
Based on?

Its like in the Olympics... third place isn't shabby at all, something worth celebrating. Hence why players and fans celebrate their bronze medals, usually every bit as much as if it was a gold medal.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Based on?

Its like in the Olympics... third place isn't shabby at all, something worth celebrating. Hence why players and fans celebrate their bronze medals, usually every bit as much as if it was a gold medal.
I’ve never heard anyone, from any country, say that they finished 3rd in the World Cup. Everyone refers to reaching the semi-final. It’s a completely pointless game, which should be done away with!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ve never heard anyone, from any country, say that they finished 3rd in the World Cup. Everyone refers to reaching the semi-final. It’s a completely pointless game, which should be done away with!
I have :shrug:

Its only pointless if your from a nation that every single time bottles your final game in a tournament. Massive for Moroccans and Croatians today. Looking forward to it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No that's Belgium celebrating their semi final achievement. No way would that have been any different whatsoever if they'd finished 4th IMO.

Although maybe you're right and it's just a mindset that belongs to nations with smaller populations, which would be understandable. But Germany, Brazil, Argentina and even England or Turkey absolutely do not celebrate winning the 3rd place play off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Based on?

It is absolutely NOT like the Olympics though. Bigger nations don't care about finishing 3rd in the WC, whereas they do in the Olympics as a) it contributes towards the nation's tally and b) a bronze in the Olympics means something, because to behave as if it doesn't simply disrespects all competitors in the other sports who work their nuts off to attain bronze.

As I say, it might mean a lot to some, but you're not providing any evidence of it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No that's Belgium celebrating their semi final achievement. No way would that have been any different whatsoever if they'd finished 4th IMO.

Although maybe you're right and it's just a mindset that belongs to nations with smaller populations, which would be understandable. But Germany, Brazil, Argentina and even England or Turkey absolutely do not celebrate winning the 3rd place play off.
Semi-final... no medal in that. Never seen people celebrate 4th place while 3rd place is usually celebrated as much as a gold is.

Of course people celebrate it. Maybe not those with a bunch of gold medals, I'll give you that.

Turkey: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/turkey/newsid_2077000/2077163.stm

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Semi-final... no medal in that. Never seen people celebrate 4th place while 3rd place is usually celebrated as much as a gold is.

Of course people celebrate it. Maybe not those with a bunch of gold medals, I'll give you that.

Turkey: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/turkey/newsid_2077000/2077163.stm
Not many are interested in a 3rd place medal at the World Cup, as you can see by the response to you from literally everyone else on this thread, and posting a second picture of a semi-finalist country returning home isn't proof of your point.

After all, thousands welcomed 4th placed England home in 1990 - and here are the scenes in Montevideo when 4th placed Uruguay returned home in 2010:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is absolutely NOT like the Olympics though. Bigger nations don't care about finishing 3rd in the WC, whereas they do in the Olympics as a) it contributes towards the nation's tally and b) a bronze in the Olympics means something, because to behave as if it doesn't simply disrespects all competitors in the other sports who work their nuts off to attain bronze.

As I say, it might mean a lot to some, but you're not providing any evidence of it.
a) A third place contributes towards the nations tally in the World Cup as well, in a historical sense. b) a bronze in the World Cup means something, because to behave as if it doesn't simply disrespects all competitors who work their nuts off to attain bronze.

Evidence?

Belgium 2018:

Not sure if the Dutch celebrated in 2014. Guessing not since they were in the final a year before. Same with Germany in 2010.

Germany celebrating:

2002: Turkey celebrating

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/turkey/newsid_2077000/2077163.stm

1998: Croatia celebrating

1994: Sweden celebrating

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not many are interested in a 3rd place medal at the World Cup, as you can see by the response to you from literally everyone else on this thread, and posting a second picture of a semi-finalist country returning home isn't proof of your point.

After all, thousands welcomed 4th placed England home in 1990 - and here are the scenes in Montevideo when 4th placed Uruguay returned home in 2010:

English people aren't interested. Others are.

No reason why a game is "pointless" or "should be removed" just because one not particularly successful football nation doesn't care about it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Our players didn't even celebrate coming second - they rather churlishly took off their medals at the Euros.

I must say, in the two play-off's we've been involved in (1990, 2018) it has been a very muted and lukewarm occasion - by both fans and players. The last one against Belgium in particular - the players just looked as though they didn't want to be there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
English people aren't interested. Others are.

No reason why a game is "pointless" or "should be removed" just because one not particularly successful football nation doesn't care about it.
You'd think a "not particularly successful football nation" would celebrate it though. If you were right, which doesn't appear to be the case.

And for the third time, posting videos of returning semi-finalists does not prove your point. I've already given you two examples of two 4th placed teams receiving a heroes welcome in the same way as your 3rd placed teams did. Let's see who loses this play off today and watch what happens to the 4th placed team when they return home shall we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here