Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

world cup final: what channel?

what channel will you be watching it on?

• BBC

Votes: 236 97.9%
  • ITV

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
It's not entirely clear cut for me - both channel have a range of pundits whose only job seems to be to state the bleedin' obvious.

I don't dislike Adrian Chiles although his accent does start to grate after a while and I think Glenn Hoddle adds some good tactical insight plus there is always the chance to play Andy Townsend Bingo (Not for me Clive, He should be making the goalkeeper work, Not good enough at this level, He's better than that, I'm just wondering there, Clive: could he have hit that first time? etc).

However, the ad breaks are a big factor for me and this year the added annoyance of the ITV music means that providing Alan Hansen doesn't use the word 'sensational' too often and that buffoon Jonathan Pearce isn't doing the commentary, I shall at least be starting with the BBC!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Without looking at the poll results I thought "This'll be close", voted for the Beeb, making it 146 - 3.

This could explain why I'm always near the bottom of the predictions league, and never gamble.

Also I'm a bit daft.

When I voted I made it 181 - 3, so the 3 has been fairly static for a while.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
ITV will get a worse drubbing in the ratings than Brazil did V Germany. Probably more like 70:1 than 7-1.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Quite astonishing how consistently inept ITV is with sports coverage, and that's before considering being beset by the stultifying avalanche of ads.
BBC not perfect but as stated above a 10 World Cup goal former golden boot winner hardly needs to break sweat to dribble it round a podgy morose dull Brummie.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
hmmm 190/3. If this is representative of the whole nation, then ITVs advertisers wont be happy with only 1.5% of people watching the show seeing their commercials.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Quite astonishing how consistently inept ITV is with sports coverage, and that's before considering being beset by the stultifying avalanche of ads.
BBC not perfect but as stated above a 10 World Cup goal former golden boot winner hardly needs to break sweat to dribble it round a podgy morose dull Brummie.

I recall when F1 was on ITV, they would go to an advert break at the most crucial point in a race. Absolutly shocking, whoever produced the show had no idea.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Few things on the subject:

BBC for me - Can't stand Clive and Andy - bland, nonsensical nonsense from both of them.

The anchors on both sides are pretty awful, in my opinion, for different reasons. Gary just has the air of "I'm better than you" and Chiles just seems intent on arguing the toss for no apparent reason.

The radio isn't much worse. As "Official radio broadcaster" or whatever it is, I listened to the build-up and actual game of France v Germany as I drove up North last Friday. Adrian Durham's opening was something like "Two Euro stars, but one will be getting off at Semi-Final Central" or something equally as bad. (Now THERE is an organisation excited about the 3rd-place play-off, according to the adverts every other minute).

Having discovered/remembered that 5Live seemed to have most/all of the matches too, I listened to Brazil v Germany, where Alan Green was ridiculing people left, right and centre, including laughing at the 4th official who made a simple mistake by putting the wrong number up for a substitution.

There used to be an option for no commentary at all - just the noise from the stadium. Is this still available?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I blame the wretched curse of having to have a co-comentator, for most of the drivel we are subjected to.

I was in Canada for a few of the group games, and they were broadcast on US channels with both Spanish and English commentary. The English version was commentated by John Helm (Ex BBC?) with NO summariser / co-commentator / ex-pro in the Andy Townsend 'role'.

Without an accomplice to verbally spar with, there were no inane questions, no stating of opinions, no lame jokes and cringeworthy chuckling at them (yes, I'm looking at you, Lawrenson). Helm simply sat there by himself, presumably in a studio somewhere, and commentated on the game, which pretty much consisted of identifying the players, and little else.

With just him there, when there was nothing that needed to be said, he didn't speak. It was EXCELLENT.

Shoot Townsend. Its the way forward.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I blame the wretched curse of having to have a co-comentator, for most of the drivel we are subjected to.

I was in Canada for a few of the group games, and they were broadcast on US channels with both Spanish and English commentary. The English version was commentated by John Helm (Ex BBC?) with NO summariser / co-commentator / ex-pro in the Andy Townsend 'role'.

Without an accomplice to verbally spar with, there were no inane questions, no stating of opinions, no lame jokes and cringeworthy chuckling at them (yes, I'm looking at you, Lawrenson). Helm simply sat there by himself, presumably in a studio somewhere, and commentated on the game, which pretty much consisted of identifying the players, and little else.

With just him there, when there was nothing that needed to be said, he didn't speak. It was EXCELLENT.

Shoot Townsend. Its the way forward.

THIS... in SPADES. :thumbsup:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Who are the three people who say they are going to watch on ITV? Probably just larking about. I cannot think of anyone anywhere who could find one single reason to watch the event on ITV.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I will admit now to snorting dismissively at the prospect of pausing live football on telly when I first encountered the technology. What a FOOL I was.

Pausing live TV in general STILL amazes me. I don't think I'll ever quite get used to it.
Its PERFECT for football. Go for a leak, make a cup of tea, tidy the shed. Return to sofa and you've missed nothing. Then fast-forward the timewasting and the injuries and the Chiles, and you have a pure uninterrupted sporting experience.

You can even pause on the FITTIES in the crowd and knock a sly one out, whilst softly murmering "I'd paint her face for her..."

Everyones a winner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I saw the thread title and thought 'what a pointless poll', as I knew what the result would be. I was wrong though. The result is exactly what I thought, but it's not pointless, it's funny seeing it confirmed.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Indeed - Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Neville, Danny Murphy - all dreadful/dull and employed off the back of the success of Gary Neville at Sky. His excellence has a lot to answer for!! Have to say I don't actually mind Savage - at least he is brainlessly funny at times.

No mention of our very own Martin Keown. I think he makes a very good pundit but best as a Co - commentator off camera because he has a head like a witchdoctors rattle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here