Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Draw

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I will try and switch of now until last 16 to avoid the months of media hype of how tough opponents Iran and USA are

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
France/potentially Argentina or Poland in the quarters on 10th December, that will be the day that England go out

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Who might Brighton have at the World Cup then?

Caicedo, Sanchez, Mitoma, Mac Allister, Moder, Trossard, Zeqiri

and old boys Ali J, Maty Ryan, Ben White

Anyone I've missed?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Group H looks exciting as well as the odd individual meeting in some other grous but generally speaking I could see myself basically ignoring the whole group stage. Englands group is fun in some kind of world politics perspective but on the pitch... very meh. England will probably grab 9 points, 1-0 victories against Iran, the US and Wales (Scotland is shite, Ukraine probably the best of the lot but fair chance two thirds of their squad will go to playoffs not having played a game in many months).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
England's group is - and forgive me for straying off message here - superbly amusing.

You have the Axis of Evil derby.

You either have us against the Sweaties, us against the Sheep Botherers or us against a team that literally everyone else in the world will want to win that game and the World Cup. You have the potential for the Welsh or Scots to come unstuck against Iran, for England to hand Jahanbaksh his backside (or vice versa) and for some serious US hubris to be ripped to pieces.

Yes, World Cups should be played in civilised countries that don't murder their cheap labour and, ideally, in the European summer, but surely no one can deny the absolute binfest potential in England's group?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
What's interesting is that England's group does look straightforward at first glance, but in the worst case scenario (in terms of FIFA ranking) and Wales qualify, the average rank of our group opponents is 18; the highest of any Pot 1 team. The next toughest being Group D, which has an average of 23, for comparison. Portugal's Group H has an average of 34.

Interestingly, you could replace the Iran and USA with Senegal and Croatia (not withstanding the rules of the draw) and end up with a lower average ranking. Would you take that swap? I wouldn't personally.

Ultimately, I think this is an England side which should consider itself a genuine contender to win the tournament. Avoiding the big European sides in Pot 2 was the main thing, and having done that I see nothing in Iran, the States or any of the 3 potential qualifiers that should unduly trouble us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Who might Brighton have at the World Cup then?

Caicedo, Sanchez, Mitoma, Mac Allister, Moder, Trossard, Zeqiri

and old boys Ali J, Maty Ryan, Ben White

Anyone I've missed?

Jeremy Sarmiento was included in the last Ecuador squad so could well go.

Kacper Kozłowski could make the Poland squad too.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
So once we qualify! We will beat England, draw vs USA and lose to Iran going out on goal difference

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last 16

Winner of England's group v Runner Up of Qatar's group (could be Senegal)
Runner Up of England's group v Winner of Qatar's group (could be Netherlands)

Quarter Final

If England win the group and their last 16 game, they'll face either Winner of Argentina's group or Runner Up of France group
If England finish Runner Up and win their last 16 game, they'll face either Winner of France's group or Runner Up of Argentina's group

That has not only saved me reading a shed load of NSC pap, but also a few days of life watching shit football in a dusty hell hole.

AJ top scorer in Ingurland group?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Statistically the toughest group, so we're in the group of death with the Yanks and Iran. Yikes.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here