Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Twenty Four - The First Semi Final

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I agree. Anywhere else on the field, it’s a foul.
I don't agree. If it was, then no winger would ever have to beat his man; all he would have to do would be to klck it past him and run into him.

I just don't see the school of thought that says a goalkeeper must not get between the forward and the goal because it will be a foul if he doesn't make the save. If you're saying that a keeper must save it or it's a penalty, then it makes saving anything pretty hard to do. Presumably if the second goal hadn't gone in, that would have been a second penalty and a second yellow for the Croatia keeper, because that forward ran into him as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't agree. If it was, then no winger would ever have to beat his man; all he would have to do would be to klck it past him and run into him.

I just don't see the school of thought that says a goalkeeper must not get between the forward and the goal because it will be a foul if he doesn't make the save. If you're saying that a keeper must save it or it's a penalty, then it makes saving anything pretty hard to do. Presumably if the second goal hadn't gone in, that would have been a second penalty and a second yellow for the Croatia keeper, because that forward ran into him as well.
The keeper got nowhere near the ball, let alone make a save.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

As explained by Peter Walton last night, if the keeper had actually played the ball (i.e. got a touch), then there'd be no foul because he'd just be standing his ground thereafter. As he instead just ran infront of Alvarez and flapped his arms about, he's impeding and thus caused a foul - that he *tried* to play the ball saved him from receiving a red card.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As explained by Peter Walton last night, if the keeper had actually played the ball (i.e. got a touch), then there'd be no foul because he'd just be standing his ground thereafter. As he instead just ran infront of Alvarez and flapped his arms about, he's impeding and thus caused a foul - that he *tried* to play the ball saved him from receiving a red card.
I suppose the thing is, he's not 'impeding' as such - because the attacker had already got his shot off (such as it was) - so he hasn't changed the flow/outcome, etc.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It's weird how everyone is so split on the penalty. I didn't think it was a penalty in real time and I was certain it wasn't after watching the replay.

The ref is obviously in the penalty camp but I guarantee that if it was an England attack it wouldn't have been given.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's weird how everyone is so split on the penalty. I didn't think it was a penalty in real time and I was certain it wasn't after watching the replay.

The ref is obviously in the penalty camp but I guarantee that if it was an England attack it wouldn't have been given.
Poor England only got two penalties in the quarter-final

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just don't see the school of thought that says a goalkeeper must not get between the forward and the goal because it will be a foul if he doesn't make the save.
He impeded the player though. That’s a penalty. The attacker was running in a clear path and the goalkeeper got right in front of him and with no, or little, attempt to play the ball.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn’t think reds were given now, as a penalty and a yellow is sufficient punishment?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I didn’t think reds were given now, as a penalty and a yellow is sufficient punishment?
Reds are given if there is no attempt to play the ball, when it's a penalty offence that denies a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Yellow card if they are clearly going for the ball, but outside the box it's a red regardless.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He impeded the player though. That’s a penalty. The attacker was running in a clear path and the goalkeeper got right in front of him and with no, or little, attempt to play the ball.
That's what goalkeepers do. They get between the man and the ball and try to stop the ball. If they aren't to be allowed to do that, what's the point of them?

The keeper didn't move after the ball had been kicked. If it was a foul, the foul was done when the goalkeeper moved in front of the man in hopes of blocking the shot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's what goalkeepers do. They get between the man and the ball and try to stop the ball. If they aren't to be allowed to do that, what's the point of them?

The keeper didn't move after the ball had been kicked. If it was a foul, the foul was done when the goalkeeper moved in front of the man in hopes of blocking the shot.
It’s my view, from viewing replays last night, the player was impeded by the actions of the ‘keeper. He got his shot in, then was impeded. That’s a pen.

Happy to review this position if someone can post a replay.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The eventual rather slow shot is cleared off the line. If not impeded by the keeper I think he had a chance of poking it in ahead of the defender.
Anyhow ref gave it and there's definitely not enough to overturn the original decision.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly, and as Albion fans we know when that happens a free kick is pretty well never given to us, let alone a booking. Burnley players we know would run over the defender like a tank :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here