Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Oh my... Alvarez! 🥅 ⚽🏃‍♂️...... 🏃‍♂️...............🏃‍♂️

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Croatia's meaningless tippy-tappy around midfield won't help them now hurrah
Yep, going to be an uphill battle for them now. That midfield three are absolutely mustard!, but unfortunately what compliments them is pure class from Gvardiol at the back and an outstanding keeper. They have very little going on up top.

Will be very interesting to see how they approach this second half now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think that was a penalty, the forward had hit the ball, the keeper couldn’t just evaporate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never a penalty. Had played the ball and went over keeper who obviously had come out. Goals so hard to come by far to many penalties
I'm team Peter Walton, not Keane/Neville/Wright on this one.

if that was in the middle of the pitch and one player pushed the ball past another but was blocked by an opposing player just standing in the way, it would be a free-kick every single time.

As such, it was a penalty for me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

if that was in the middle of the pitch and one player pushed the ball past another but was blocked by an opposing player just standing in the way, it would be a free-kick every single time.

Where was the keeper supposed to go? No way should that penalty have been given imo

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where was the keeper supposed to go? No way should that penalty have been given imo
He didn't have to run out and block the attacker, having failed to make any kind of save.

I don't get this, which is a variation of "what else was he supposed to do?" on some other contentious decisions. If you put yourself in a stupid position such that you cause a foul, then the response is clearly "you shouldn't have been where you were in the first place".

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I thought it was a clear penalty. Yellow card also correct. Idiot commentators saying Croatia on top - “Argentina had two kicks and scored them both” - which is utter bollocks.

Argentina are deliberately sitting deeper to invite Croatia further upfield, leaving Alvarez/Messi/De Paul in particular more space to run into, rather than passing it sideways/backwards in the final third when facing a low block.

Their ceding possession is very intentional - look at their shape with and without the ball. Four ahead of the ball when Croatia attack at their highest vertical point; the four quickest and most dangerous players they have. This is no coincidence.

In short, the first half was a superbly planned and executed counter attacking game plan by Argentina who have been in control of the whole match, even if the possession statistics tell a different story.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I agree. Anywhere else on the field, it’s a foul.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will I be able to buy an Albion branded waterpolo cap, when we return.

They look so cooooolio.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He didn't have to run out and block the attacker, having failed to make any kind of save.

I don't get this, which is a variation of "what else was he supposed to do?" on some other contentious decisions. If you put yourself in a stupid position such that you cause a foul, then the response is clearly "you shouldn't have been where you were in the first place".
Can’t agree that coming out to challenge a player rather than standing on the line like Maty Ryan is unacceptable. The forward got his shot away and ran into the keeper, it was a 50/50 by that stage. Never a penalty :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports