Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Twenty Four - The First Semi Final

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
These are very uninspiring semi finals, I think.

Croatia are one of the dullest teams out there. Very solid but nothing up front so they just dick around with it in midfield and cause all the pundits to purr about Modric (an admittedly excellent player). They did the same in the last World Cup: ground their way to the final with a few penalty shoot outs and scraped wins.

France aren't nearly as exciting to watch as they should be with the players they have. Morocco have been fun but only in the sense that they keep beating established teams so there's a novelty factor. Their gameplan is basically Roy Hodgson's. Keep it tight at the back, and hope to strike the opposition on the break or via a set piece.

So it's probably #TeamArgentina for me, purely for Alexis. But this does also mean we'll have to watch that utter nause Martinez in goal shithousing his way to the trophy too. He's one of the most unlikeable players in a Premier League which contains Bruno Fernandes, Wilfried Zaha, Anthony Gordon and, until recently, Cristiano Ronaldo, which takes some doing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Game over!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems a bit unfair that Man City have Haaland and a bloke who could yet win the Golden Boot at a World Cup.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I take issue with the commentary suggesting introducing Alvarez was key to their improvement post Saudi. At least mention that other player that worked his way into the starting XI
I'm surprised they found time to mention anybody, they're so busy fawning over Messi. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest of all time. But I do think they fluff up some of the stuff he does to a quite ridiculous extent. Sometimes you get the feeling he could stand there doing his bootlaces up and they'd all be telling us that his lace-tying skills are something other players can only dream of.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm surprised they found time to mention anybody, they're so busy fawning over Messi. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the greatest of all time. But I do think they fluff up some of the stuff he does to a quite ridiculous extent. Sometimes you get the feeling he could stand there doing his bootlaces up and they'd all be telling us that his lace-tying skills are something other players can only dream of.
Like Pele or Maradona, we’re watching a true genius of the game. I for one would enjoy watching him doing his shoelaces up, and I bet he does them with a bit of panache.:smile:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Has he broken into a run yet?
Not really. He's one of those very tidy, intelligent, but unspectacular players. Just blends into the match.

He's clearly very comfortable on the highest stage, yet I don't think there will be a massive offer for him. Which is good for us as I'd be happy for him to stick around in our midfield for years to come.

Mind you, the minute Chelsea see him holding the World Cup aloft...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just now - 'no surprise (that Modric is coming off), the man in front of Modric, Mac Allister, has had an excellent game' - Lee Dixon.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not really. He's one of those very tidy, intelligent, but unspectacular players. Just blends into the match.

He's clearly very comfortable on the highest stage, yet I don't think there will be a massive offer for him. Which is good for us as I'd be happy for him to stick around in our midfield for years to come.

Mind you, the minute Chelsea see him holding the World Cup aloft...
I agree. It wasn’t a criticism he has controlled the centre without needing to rush around. Could have scored twice as well

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I can't believe they never mentioned in commentary who played the long ball that released Alvarez to win the penalty (or even at half 1/2 time when talking about the challenge) but if Messi had played it, then they would have mentioned one or 2........ hundred times by now

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
It’s nauseating and lazy isn’t it? Just makes Dixon sound very, very amateurish. They’re supposed to be pointing out things the average joe can’t see or spot. Ali Mac has been superb and not a word about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here