Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Working alone in a factory.....

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Spongy - putting aside the working alone issue, it appears that you are very unhappy in your job. If I were in your shoes I’d be doing everything that I possibly could to find alternative employment. In the meantime, as to whether or not you should agree to the requested change in your hours, I’d suggest that you need to take a view on the likelihood of them dismissing you if you don’t agree to the change. In a worst case scenario you may need to dance to their tune until you find another job.

I really do wish you all the best for the future.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You beat me to it! Also ask to see the generic task risk assessments for what you believe are the two or three most risky tasks, look at the risks and control measures to see if any of those state that you can't operate those alone?

TBF the OP did say he was under a trial period and is worried about being terminated. So not a good idea to make too many waves.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TBF the OP did say he was under a trial period and is worried about being terminated. So not a good idea to make too many waves.

This. Job's don't grow on trees, for now or for any time in the near foreseeable. WAY better to keep your eye on the ball of the job you're lucky enough to have right now, cos the next one may well be a long time coming

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Join a Union. Tell them no. I am also saving for a mortgage and lone work through the night but not in a place where accidents are that much of an issue.
I’m fine with it but Unite have got involved in couple of other matters and sorted it out in my favour. Invaluable.

You cant just join any union, the union will have to be reconised by the employer.

As for Lone working there must be lone worker procedures in place, they could also ask you to use a lone worker app.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/lone-working/worker/index.htm have a read of this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've ****ing had it with this ****ing place. Bunch of utter utter ****ing *****.

Only God knows how I havent chinned that ****ing ****. I want to quite literally stove the back of his ****ing head in with a ****ing hammer.

With my mental state I could quite happily just forget buying a house and just walking away from everything.

Hi.

If you left tomorrow, will you and your family be able to survive financially for a period?

After working for an unhappy, shit stirring loon for many years, my rule is .... if you can afford it, leave as soon as possible. Life’s too short, it really is.

No one in my life gave me that sage advice, but I firmly believe that as a rule and will tell my kids the same one day if they end up in irreparable unhappy working environment.

If yes, leave mate.

And don’t beat yourself up about it. There will be decent employers out there, imho the economy will pick up.

Health and happiness always comes first.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What an absolute hate-filled dick you are.
To say all Polish people are arrogant and look at us with disdain is completely bollox. I have worked with many Polish people over the years and none of them are like that, most try to integrate despite morons like you.
I had a Polish mechanic when in Sussex and now again in Reading, this is out of choice because of their honesty and workmanship.

I hope nobody listens to the shit you are spouting.
The only arrogance and disdain I see is from stereotypical troglodytes like yourself.
I bet you don’t eat curry’s or Chinese food because it’s foreign muck, right?
Get yourself back to the 60’s you ignorant c*nt.
I can’t stomach your intolerance!

I have never put anyone on ignore on here because I believe in freedom of speech, but you are testing my limits.
Name one country Spongy could work in for a couple of years and buy himself and his family a house fully paid for in cash? Nope their isn’t one. Something like £3b is sent to Poland yearly no contribution to our economy whatsoever.

Site work is ****ed in this country good British tradesmen can no longer make a living due to the influx of European labour. Financially it obviously doesn’t effect you as you have come out with the standard response, you have cheaper car repairs so all good :thumbsup:

Dec 29, 2011
Name one country Spongy could work in for a couple of years and buy himself and his family a house fully paid for in cash? Nope their isn’t one. Something like £3b is sent to Poland yearly no contribution to our economy whatsoever.

Site work is ****ed in this country good British tradesmen can no longer make a living due to the influx of European labour. Financially it obviously doesn’t effect you as you have come out with the standard response, you have cheaper car repairs so all good :thumbsup:

Are you a parody account?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You cant just join any union, the union will have to be reconised by the employer.

As for Lone working there must be lone worker procedures in place, they could also ask you to use a lone worker app.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/lone-working/worker/index.htm have a read of this.

Afraid you're wrong. If you were expecting a union to negotiate your conditions, pay etc then maybe but there is nothing to stop you joining a union. There are benefits, especially from support in respect of any legal action although, from my experience when I joined Unite back in the 99, the legal cover doesn't kick in until you've been a member for 6 months.

That said, if there is no recognized union at the place of work then I'd keep quiet about being a member until you need to use them.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I visited a soft fruit farm a little while ago, full of men and women from Eastern Europe fruit picking. It is monotonous hard work. Six day weeks. Minimum wage. Living in makeshift dorms.
The boss said they’d have loved to have employed English people but none fancied it.
Many sent the cash back to their families, less tax of course. One guy hadn’t met his young daughter (who was in Poland) once as he was working, so she had a future. What a scumbag, eh,
Enjoy your strawberries this Summer, and this classic sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a17duTUK6qw

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Afraid you're wrong. If you were expecting a union to negotiate your conditions, pay etc then maybe but there is nothing to stop you joining a union. There are benefits, especially from support in respect of any legal action although, from my experience when I joined Unite back in the 99, the legal cover doesn't kick in until you've been a member for 6 months.

That said, if there is no recognized union at the place of work then I'd keep quiet about being a member until you need to use them.

And if the company don't recognise the union they wont talk to them,

No point in being the only person in a factory in a union....Unite or whoever wont go storming in for one person.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I have Anglo-Saxon family, friends and associates still earning very good money from building trades including site work, they don’t complain about Poles.

It’s true that there was an undercutting issue a long time ago, even the Guardian covered the effect on natives with day rates slashed.

But there’s so been so much building including refurbs going on in SE England, that there’s lucrative work for everyone.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I visited a soft fruit farm a little while ago, full of men and women from Eastern Europe fruit picking. It is monotonous hard work. Six day weeks. Minimum wage. Living in makeshift dorms.
The boss said they’d have loved to have employed English people but none fancied it.
Many sent the cash back to their families, less tax of course. One guy hadn’t met his young daughter (who was in Poland) once as he was working, so she had a future. What a scumbag, eh,
Enjoy your strawberries this Summer

Are you for real?

Of course no English people fancy it. Why should someone work 6 days week doing a back-breaking job just so they can live in a makeshift dorm with zero free time or disposable income? The reason eastern european folk come here and put up with shit pay and conditions is because it is still way above what they could earn at home. Unfortunately, this has driven down wages here, way below what they should be. Someone working as a farm labourer, should, as a minimum, be able to support a family and have a basic standard of living - not live in a frigging portacabin with 16 other people forever because wages have been undercut. What sort of lfe is that?

So you enjoy your strawberries this summer - at £2 a punnett, when the real cost of producing them should be at least double that, if you want to enable the people picking them 6 days a week to get a fair wage for a fair day's work and actually have any quality of life at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

good British tradesman are constantly in work, its the shite ones that get crowded out by better foreign labour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you for real?

Of course no English people fancy it. Why should someone work 6 days week doing a back-breaking job just so they can live in a makeshift dorm with zero free time or disposable income? The reason eastern european folk come here and put up with shit pay and conditions is because it is still way above what they could earn at home. Unfortunately, this has driven down wages here, way below what they should be. Someone working as a farm labourer, should, as a minimum, be able to support a family and have a basic standard of living - not live in a frigging portacabin with 16 other people forever because wages have been undercut. What sort of lfe is that?

So you enjoy your strawberries this summer - at £2 a punnett, when the real cost of producing them should be at least double that, if you want to enable the people picking them 6 days a week to get a fair wage for a fair day's work and actually have any quality of life at all.

I thought the power of wholesalers and supermarkets had long driven down the prices of fruit and veg. Farmers operate in that squeezed market place. Fruit picking at a market garden farm would represent a tiny proportion of the sector.

https://theconversation.com/the-real-reasons-why-british-workers-wont-pick-fruit-80152

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Would you?

I'm not just talking about being on your own in an isolated part where there are colleagues still on site. ...

I'm talking about literally on your own. Everyone else has gone home, everything bar one door is locked up so I can get out and lock up.

There no procedures in place other than text my twunt of a supervisor to say I'm going home. I operate machinery and also use a forklift constantly.

When I started in Jan they said they wanted someone to work a bit later so extend their working day so I managed to negotiate a 9.30-6 shift.

Everyone else there is in at 6am and gone by 4pm.

As people are aware I'm desperate to get a mortgage so I've been doing overtime until 8pm then heading home.

They want to change my shift to 11am-7.30pm.

Basically stopping me doing overtime and thus destroying my mortgage hopes as I'm still short on the earnings front to get what I want.

There is literally no support for me if I have a programming issue on the machine or god forbid I have any kind of accident.

I think its an unfair request. And I think I'm within my rights to tell them to jog on BUT.....

I'm on a 6 month probationary period, if I get too arsey then they can just get rid of me.

Don't really know what to do.

Join a Union [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here