[Misc] Working alone in a factory.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not really.

My supervisor is a complete nob. He's Polish. Rude, arrogant and shouty. I've already had to bite my lip several times because of the way he's spoken to me and we've already had several disagreements.

The next one up is the manager who wants me to change shift, then I'll be at director level.

They used to sub out all their laser work but wanted to bring it "in house" so spent nearly £500k on one. Then realised they didn't know how to use it. So brought the Polish guy in in November. I was approached by an agency about the same job but the Polish guy got it ahead of me.

Then they contacted me 2 days after losing my last job in Jan as they needed more experience as its not efficient enough. (It is but you can't measure a purely linear process in square metres).

Their idea is to prolong the day. Everyone else does overtime by starting early. But I won't be able to.

In your first post you say that everybody else starts at 6am and are gone by 4pm. The core shifts you quote for your own circumstances are 30 minutes longer than that 9.30am - 6pm). I'm puzzled as to how your colleagues manage to fit in any overtime when from what you say they're already working a shorter day than you are

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's all about the risk assessment, you could ask to have a look at it? Alone in an office, security gate, light cleaning, very little risk, operating machinery, working at height, working with higher risk chemicals or naked flame, very different.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I would think First Aid would be an issue should anything happen - is this the Horsham company?

D

Deleted member 22389

Would you?

I'm not just talking about being on your own in an isolated part where there are colleagues still on site. ...

I'm talking about literally on your own. Everyone else has gone home, everything bar one door is locked up so I can get out and lock up.

There no procedures in place other than text my twunt of a supervisor to say I'm going home. I operate machinery and also use a forklift constantly.

When I started in Jan they said they wanted someone to work a bit later so extend their working day so I managed to negotiate a 9.30-6 shift.

Everyone else there is in at 6am and gone by 4pm.

As people are aware I'm desperate to get a mortgage so I've been doing overtime until 8pm then heading home.

They want to change my shift to 11am-7.30pm.

Basically stopping me doing overtime and thus destroying my mortgage hopes as I'm still short on the earnings front to get what I want.

There is literally no support for me if I have a programming issue on the machine or god forbid I have any kind of accident.

I think its an unfair request. And I think I'm within my rights to tell them to jog on BUT.....

I'm on a 6 month probationary period, if I get too arsey then they can just get rid of me.

Don't really know what to do.

Well you shouldn't be operating machinery on your own. What happens if you have an accident? Who's responsible for first aid.

As for the shift change consult your contract of employment.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I wouldn’t join a union , they often just wind business owners up by unreasonable demands . However working alone in a factory is clearly potentially dangerous and I would suggest you speak directly to the owner or manager .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tell the media, could be the next campaign of theirs.

Seriously though , yes would do it. No nagging bosses , no office politics . Sounds perfect

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Would you?

I'm not just talking about being on your own in an isolated part where there are colleagues still on site. ...

I'm talking about literally on your own. Everyone else has gone home, everything bar one door is locked up so I can get out and lock up.

There no procedures in place other than text my twunt of a supervisor to say I'm going home. I operate machinery and also use a forklift constantly.

When I started in Jan they said they wanted someone to work a bit later so extend their working day so I managed to negotiate a 9.30-6 shift.

As people are aware I'm desperate to get a mortgage so I've been doing overtime until 8pm then heading home.

Basically stopping me doing overtime and thus destroying my mortgage hopes as I'm still short on the earnings front to get what I want.

There is literally no support for me if I have a programming issue on the machine or god forbid I have any kind of accident.

I think its an unfair request. And I think I'm within my rights to tell them to jog on BUT.....

I'm on a 6 month probationary period, if I get too arsey then they can just get rid of me.

pretty sure as part of oh&s it is illegal to be working alone in just about any situation.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Unless the law has changed it is illegal to work on your own unless it is a one man business.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

This is my understanding . . . I never employed anyone in my workshop which has all sortsd of potentially lethal machinery, but it was just me. . . .

You're being shafted Spongy . . . keep looking, something will turn up, in the interim joining the union should at least offer you some protection, although if they're exploiting/employing Polish guys you're possibly on a hiding to nothing.

Edit, just had a quick chat with our H&S QA guy at work . . . more than 5 employees and it's illegal to be working alone on machinery, they're on very thin ground, there are loop holes but generally its a no no.

If you're brave enough I'd suggest a confidential chat with a director or the owner. Tell them straight. or just start early!

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
In your first post you say that everybody else starts at 6am and are gone by 4pm. The core shifts you quote for your own circumstances are 30 minutes longer than that 9.30am - 6pm). I'm puzzled as to how your colleagues manage to fit in any overtime when from what you say they're already working a shorter day than you are

8 hour day with 30 min unpaid lunch. Others work 6am-4pm through lunch so get 2 hours o/t a day.

They want me to start 11.30am-8pm. An 8 hour day. No overtime before shift to stop doubling up the labour on the machine. (Even though it's a 2 man job in reality).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
8 hour day with 30 min unpaid lunch. Others work 6am-4pm through lunch so get 2 hours o/t a day.

They want me to start 11.30am-8pm. An 8 hour day. No overtime before shift to stop doubling up the labour on the machine. (Even though it's a 2 man job in reality).

They're pushing it, and arguably/probably breaking the law.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Absolutely no.

When people attend our data centres, they have to notify us when they are arriving, the security guards let them in, check them for temperature and make sure they are tracked through the building.

We 100% do not allow people in if there are no other people on site( like the guards) and I am sure there are H&S laws around backing this up.

If you fall or injure yourself, have a medical episode and there is no one around, the company owe you a duty of care to protect you and they will be taken to the cleaners by HSE

So short answer...No

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Probably the correct answer but could put the spanner in the works to completing the probationary period!! Catch 22!

This is why people need to be with a union. So many companies are out for themselves now, with scant regard for employees. Add to this the accelerating erosion of worker's rights since our departure from the EU and in my humble, you're taking a great risk nor being a union member.

You wouldn't have to worry about asking to see risk assessments etc, plus you find employers mysteriously start treating you better when they know you're union.

Obviously some things they can't do for you, they can't get you overtime etc but as I say, they take a weight off your shoulders. Although, if they are denying you the opportunity to fairly earn as much as your colleagues, you could have a case. Join a union.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Use it as a lever for a pay rise. Explain that you will be worse off financially due to the loss of overtime and see if they will come to a compromise. Point out that they obviously have your trust and believe in your ability to carry out the job requirements while single manning and say that you would be more than happy to carry on and agree to the new hours if a new wage reflected the position. Also, explain why you are doing it (mortgage etc) and they can see that you are asking for a reason and not trying to push your luck. After all, it seems that working on your own may be to your benefit and proving yourself In your 6 month probation may give you a jump ahead of Mr Shouty! Good luck.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Somethings gone wrong when the natives are taking orders from Poles, personally I couldn’t stomach it.

I’m probably biased as I constantly repair their absolute shite workmanship on a regular basis. Arrogant people who look at us with disdain.

el punal

Would you?

Keep a diary of everything you do. If there are any problems make sure you have a record of any incident, inform your supervisor in writing and keep a copy yourself. As and when the shit hits the fan you will have a full dossier of all that has gone on before - arse covering if you like. Hopefully it won’t come to that but definitely a case of forewarned is forearmed.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Use it as a lever for a pay rise. Explain that you will be worse off financially due to the loss of overtime and see if they will come to a compromise. Point out that they obviously have your trust and believe in your ability to carry out the job requirements while single manning and say that you would be more than happy to carry on and agree to the new hours if a new wage reflected the position. Also, explain why you are doing it (mortgage etc) and they can see that you are asking for a reason and not trying to push your luck. After all, it seems that working on your own may be to your benefit and proving yourself In your 6 month probation may give you a jump ahead of Mr Shouty! Good luck.

Nice idea in theory, but all the signs suggest they're out to maximise profits and **** the employees.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed - get rid of the overtime element. Not to be a dick as I have sympathy with your situation, but if you're relying on 30 minutes overtime for a mortgage it doesn't set you in good stead in the future in case that overtime disappears etc.

Also I believe mortgage companies review regular overtime / bonuses etc as exactly that - not guaranteed, so may only take 50% of that into account not the full lot.

I know you have been, but definitely get something in place to get a permanent salary for the full hours in place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports