[Misc] Working alone in a factory.....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Nice idea in theory, but all the signs suggest they're out to maximise profits and **** the employees.

Indeed. It's the old adage 'If you don't ask you don't get'. I have no idea what the employment market in [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] line of work is, but I am sure that it would be more hassle and cost to find a replacement employee and ask them if they would be willing to single man and getting a suitable replacement quite quickly.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've ****ing had it with this ****ing place. Bunch of utter utter ****ing *****.

Only God knows how I havent chinned that ****ing ****. I want to quite literally stove the back of his ****ing head in with a ****ing hammer.

With my mental state I could quite happily just forget buying a house and just walking away from everything.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've ****ing had it with this ****ing place. Bunch of utter utter ****ing *****.

Only God knows how I havent chinned that ****ing ****. I want to quite literally stove the back of his ****ing head in with a ****ing hammer.

With my mental state I could quite happily just forget buying a house and just walking away from everything.
Take a few minutes out.

My advice from what I've read is to just step back from the house buying dream for a few months. It seems to be putting you under a lot of pressure and stress.

Just focus fully on finding an other job first. Once that is settled, then return to thoughts of house buying.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Take a few minutes out.

My advice from what I've read is to just step back from the house buying dream for a few months. It seems to be putting you under a lot of pressure and stress.

Just focus fully on finding an other job first. Once that is settled, then return to thoughts of house buying.

I'm 42. If i want a 25/27 year mortgage I'm running out of time.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
It sounds like this has to be a temporary job for you whilst you find a better one and maybe put the mortgage plan on hold until you do. If it is a temporary job then look at what benefits switching hours gets you. Less time with people you don't like, a few hours every morning to job hunt and attend interviews, an improved CV since you were immediately trusted with the responsibility of being self supervised. Also since they are changing your contract this is a perfect time to say you are happy to accommodate them but that you are also struggling financially and so really need to be earning a minimum of £?k a year which is why you were doing all this overtime anyway. The worst thing they will do is say no and give some reasons why not. It sounds like they value you at least a little if they consider your work hours to be important enough to change.

P.S. I only got my first mortgage at 40 so know that feeling of the world passing you by!

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This is a public forum, it worries me a bit you treat it a bit as Dear Diary. It's not a criticism but be a bit careful what you post I would suggest. Maybe post when you are a bit calmer. Hope things work out ok for you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As [MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION] says....

I've followed your situation over the months. Don't take any more risks. The employer will see you as desparate and will take advantage. Best of luck.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

For the sake of your mental health [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] I would strongly advise decoupling your mortgage situation from your emplyment situation. Sorry to be blunt, but your mortgage aspirations won't be scuppered by the loss of two hours overtime a day. It could just as easily be scuppered by an unexpected big car bill. You don't seem to be in a good place at the moment my friend, and I wish you nothing but good things, but your mortgage obsession seems to be taking over your life. It's not the be all and end all mate, I'm sure your family and friends (including those of us on here) would far rather see you having your head in a better place. Take care mate, and **** having a mortgage for now. Cheers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm 42. If i want a 25/27 year mortgage I'm running out of time.
I am sensitive to the fact that it is important to you and you can't delay for ever.

But from reading your posts I really advise you just to take a handful of months out from the stress and pressure of house buying. An extra 3 month delay on getting a 25 year mortgage isn't worth the stress you are under.

Sort out the job first - that is enough stress. Then look at the house buying once that is stable.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Take a few minutes out.

I agree, get yourself in a better place and the rest will come. It's not something to force and there is still a lot of uncertaintly for the country. It's not your fault the country is bobbing around in a cess pit.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
For the sake of your mental health [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] I would strongly advise decoupling your mortgage situation from your emplyment situation. Sorry to be blunt, but your mortgage aspirations won't be scuppered by the loss of two hours overtime a day. It could just as easily be scuppered by an unexpected big car bill. You don't seem to be in a good place at the moment my friend, and I wish you nothing but good things, but your mortgage obsession seems to be taking over your life. It's not the be all and end all mate, I'm sure your family and friends (including those of us on here) would far rather see you having your head in a better place. Take care mate, and **** having a mortgage for now. Cheers

Probably the best advice you'll hear on here today. I think you really need to decouple from the mortgage desire too. Also, I'd be very cautious about slagging off your employer, in all likelihood they don't read this, but someone always knows someone, who knows someone.

best of luck

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
try and stay calm mate , it really seems like they are trying to ride you , only you know wether you really want the job or not but physical confrontation in the workplace is a massive no no these days and won't do you any good in the long term or short , sounds like the Pole is a bully ........i hope you can work yourself through the next few days and try and remain calm .....good luck mate and all the best.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Somethings gone wrong when the natives are taking orders from Poles, personally I couldn’t stomach it.

I’m probably biased as I constantly repair their absolute shite workmanship on a regular basis. Arrogant people who look at us with disdain.

What an absolute hate-filled dick you are.
To say all Polish people are arrogant and look at us with disdain is completely bollox. I have worked with many Polish people over the years and none of them are like that, most try to integrate despite morons like you.
I had a Polish mechanic when in Sussex and now again in Reading, this is out of choice because of their honesty and workmanship.

I hope nobody listens to the shit you are spouting.
The only arrogance and disdain I see is from stereotypical troglodytes like yourself.
I bet you don’t eat curry’s or Chinese food because it’s foreign muck, right?
Get yourself back to the 60’s you ignorant c*nt.
I can’t stomach your intolerance!

I have never put anyone on ignore on here because I believe in freedom of speech, but you are testing my limits.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Pretty much.

It has been to my benefit. But I'm not going to take the risk for no benefit whatsoever. Its effectively a pay cut. But everyone else has the opportunity to earn extra.

For the last 20 years I've always been an early start-early finisher working 12 hour shifts 6am-6pm after overtime.

This change is killing me as it is as I'm still waking up at 5am and if I do manage to sleep in a bit the kids are up at 6am.

I left the last job to earn more and try to improve my work life balance and I've managed to end up poorer and even worse as far as work life balance goes.

Number 1 priority is mortgage, this change will effectively kill that chance as I'll be losing nearly £7k a year.
Can you explain this to your supervisor/manager , he may well turn you down but at least you will know how much you are being valued . Is there a possibility he could help with a workable solution , you obviously do a valuable job for them that currently no one else is willing or able to do . Having someone willing to work late must be of some value to them , it`s hard to see why they would choose to mess that up when you both share the same goal but for different reasons , you for your mortgage them for high work rate and profitability . Either way good luck .

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Wonder what the insurance payout would be on a lone working accident. Quite hefty i would imagine...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Somethings gone wrong when the natives are taking orders from Poles, personally I couldn’t stomach it.

I’m probably biased as I constantly repair their absolute shite workmanship on a regular basis. Arrogant people who look at us with disdain.

And don't get me STARTED on Afrikaners :rant:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf

Is it legal to work alone and is it safe?
You are responsible for the health, safety and welfare at work of all
your workers, and this applies to any contractors, volunteers or selfemployed people. These responsibilities cannot be transferred to
any other person, including to those people who work alone.
It will often be safe to work alone. However, the law requires you to
think about and deal with any health and safety risks before people
are allowed to do so.
Establishing a healthy and safe working environment for lone
workers can be different from organising the health and safety of
other workers. Some things to consider in ensuring lone workers
are not put at risk include:
■ assessing areas of risk including violence, manual handling,
the medical suitability of the individual to work alone and
whether the workplace itself presents a risk to them;
■ requirements for training, levels of experience and how best to
monitor and supervise them;
■ having systems in place to keep in touch with them and
respond to any incident.
Employees and some self-employed workers also have
responsibilities to take reasonable care of themselves and other
people affected by their work activities and to co-operate with their
employers in meeting their legal obligations. See the ‘Responsibilities
of workers’ section towards the end of this leaflet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here