Wonder what the players make of our supporters?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Exactly this, I sit in the North Stand, and you can hear the Albion fans plenty well enough, and so can the players, it's nothing to do with well placed radio mikes.

The BIG problem is, the singing section DON'T sing enough. We can see you and hear you when you do, you just don't keep it going for any length of time (in enough numbers). I think the people on hear constantly moaning about this need to adress their own performance before they perpetuate a myth that 95 Yeovil fans out-sung Brighton. You just need to sing more, FFS, you're in the f***ing singing section, so f***ing sing. You'll probably enjoy it more than winding up the staff, and complaining that no-one else is singing.

Oh, and if the laughably named 'singing section' improved its perfomance, then the G, F, E, D (etc) Blocks might also join in, just like they do at away games when the singers get going so well. Plenty of those who attend our away games are STH, and they possibly sit in an area of Withdean away from H & J blocks, but they join in on the road, they would at Withdean too if there was something to join in with..

Why did the singing block get stuck in H? Cos its close to the away fans?

If thats the case then thats the most pointless positioning in the world. We're a mile away from them for f*** sake!

I think G or F would have been better IMO.

It doesn't help that the block is divided with the "goons" and the snobs.

The snobs sing more than the rest of the ground and the "goons" try to sing more than the snobs but there is a bit of a mix so when one set of goons start to sing and the snobs don't, then the sound fizzles out too quickly.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

If thats the case then thats the most pointless positioning in the world. We're a mile away from them for f*** sake!

The singing section was H Block long before the new away stand was opened.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex

I think G or F would have been better IMO.

It doesn't help that the block is divided with the "goons" and the snobs.

The snobs sing more than the rest of the ground and the "goons" try to sing more than the snobs but there is a bit of a mix so when one set of goons start to sing and the snobs don't, then the sound fizzles out too quickly.

The away stand wasn't positioned there at the time H Block was designated as the singing section.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Withdean is like a woman you have been with for 12 years but never really fancied in the first place. She came along when things were a bit desperate, so you were happy with it for the first couple of years. Now 12 years on she is fat, ugly and always f***ing moaning. You see her for what she is and you cant be bothered, because you know in the back of your head you will have the love of your life in less than a year and once a fortnight you get to play away from home anyway.

I would have said more like the tart you initially fancied from far away (Priestfield) but from up close always has an open top, blows hot and cold and has a long track record before you got there.

Plus an old neighbour banging on the wall, after you have scored...

I've always considered myself an 'awayer' as although I go to Withdean a few times a season I generally go to away games. No one who regularly travels could ever say they prefer going to Withdean. At the Brentford game, we were all on our feet celebrating the goal, next thing I know everyone has sat down again in silence before the game has even restarted! What is that all about? At every away game we are all jumping around celebrating for a couple of minutes and then the singing breaks out as soon as the cheers start to fade.

As I started supporting Albion in 97, all my home games used to be at Gillingham which was great as they all felt like away games do now. A committed bunch of fans, same faces each week, piled into a terrace behind the goal and making a noise all game long.

Peterborough on Sat should be the same, the away terrace there has always been a great atmosphere. If we can create the same noise as at Charlton or better the players will know about it. Having the players applaud the fans after the match means we've done our job!

My voice has only just recovered from Charlton, hope to ruin it again!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What a sanctimonious load of bollocks.

Not at all.

What makes you think that the away support aren't season ticket holders? Oh I get it-season ticket holders don't make any noise do they?:facepalm:
The season-ticket holders I sit with are, on the whole (not all, obviously), mute. So I speak from experience of where I sit. Most just sit there in silence. It's an observation that you cannot make from the North Stand.

There will be between 3000 and 4000 at Peterborough. It will be loud for the whole game. The majority will be season ticket holders. The only difference is the stadium.
The 3000+ at Peterborough will be making a noise, singing, clapping and getting behind the team. No way do 3000+ people make a noise at Withdean. And that's a crying shame, because when they do, we turn Withdean into a fortress.

It's also very difficult to generate real intense atmosphere at Withdean when the visitors bring less than a hundred.
And yet for lengthy periods of the game, the only singing I could hear on Saturday was coming from the 100 Yeovil fans.

You do what you like to do at Withdean, enjoy the games(s) and stop criticising others for doing what they like to do. We're having our best start to a season in over 80 years and what do we get? "Boo Hoo, not everybody sings when I want them to". FFS, grow up-not everybody considers you to be the unofficial choirmaster.
That's a bit rich. I am thoroughly enjoying this amazing season, thanks, but find it sad that so many sour faces at Withdean continue to sit in silence despite the quality football we're being served. The old argument used to be that "we'll sing and make an atmosphere in response to the football" - but that doesn't appear to be happening. Withdean was a cauldron of noise in the early days - let's make it so again. As you say, we're having the best start to the season in over 80 years, so let's celebrate it!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've always considered myself an 'awayer' as although I go to Withdean a few times a season I generally go to away games. No one who regularly travels could ever say they prefer going to Withdean. At the Brentford game, we were all on our feet celebrating the goal, next thing I know everyone has sat down again in silence before the game has even restarted! What is that all about? At every away game we are all jumping around celebrating for a couple of minutes and then the singing breaks out as soon as the cheers start to fade.

As I started supporting Albion in 97, all my home games used to be at Gillingham which was great as they all felt like away games do now. A committed bunch of fans, same faces each week, piled into a terrace behind the goal and making a noise all game long.

Peterborough on Sat should be the same, the away terrace there has always been a great atmosphere. If we can create the same noise as at Charlton or better the players will know about it. Having the players applaud the fans after the match means we've done our job!

My voice has only just recovered from Charlton, hope to ruin it again!

:clap:

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Wonder what they think. At home our support is woeful, you can hear a pin drop sometimes, even hear the wind whistling threw the trees. When I see players laughing I often think, are they saying - ‘did you hear that fart in the crowd’.

Then on our travels the away end seems to explode with a wall of noise, players can’t hear themselves. Do they think we have two sets of fans?

We have the home crowd that never travel and the away fans never watch us at home. Has anyone ever found out what the players think and if they prefer playing away than at home, just like many of our fans who prefer to travel than visit shitdean?

Just wondering like.

Cheers.

Sorry, but has this not been done to death over the last 10 years or so ??

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The atmosphere at Withdean was much better before the singing section was brought in - when the singers were scattered throughout the South Stand people were much more inclined to join in (I suspect having just two stands for home support, rather than five, helped too).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Plucking a few attendances from this weekend out the air:

Tranmere took 370 to Walsall
Oldham took 409 to Southampton
Charlton took 313 to Carlisle
Exeter took 606 to MK Dons

Quite simply, we're in a different LEAGUE to 95% of this division.

That is actually quite impressive given the historical size of their support and the distance involved.

Oh, IMHO, the lack of a roof and crappiness of Withdean aren't really excuses for the quietness of our fans at home.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Our away support is excellent, no doubt about it.

I agree and it has been for the past 10 years or more... exile at Gillingham followed by Withdean almost prompted a much greater (and noisier) away folllowing than we ever had while at the Goldstone (except perhaps our glory years between 79 and 83 and the last few Bellotti years). There is a camaraderie in adversity.
I remember us playing Sunderland at the Stadium of Light about 5 years ago and we almost filled the away end and out sung the Mackems for the whole game - even though we lost 2-0.
I then remember the SFC forum the day after praising us as 'doing' what they used to do and being the best away support at the SoL for two years. And look at the reputation Sunderland have always had for creating noise behind their team!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I would have said more like the tart you initially fancied from far away (Priestfield) but from up close always has an open top, blows hot and cold and has a long track record before you got there.

Plus an old neighbour banging on the wall, after you have scored...

:lolol::lolol:
Excellent!
Image of Mad John C**t comes straight to mind.

How many more times:shrug:

It's Withdean - no roof, no atmosphere! Simples!

I'm sure the players understand the problems with Withdean more than anyone. There's not long left now - only 16 more games to go

Absolutely NOT true!

Come out to a game at Cádiz.

No roof but the best atmosphere you are likely to get anywhere.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Absolutely NOT true!

Absolutely. We've had plenty of good atmospheres at Withdean over the years. The lack of roof etc etc is just a tired excuse. The problem is, sadly, that most mouths remain firmly clamped shut until we score. Then after a brief gasp of excitement, they're glued together again. :shootself

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Absolutely NOT true!

You're not allowing for away fans being 50 yards from anything at Withdean-away fans play a part in creating atmosphere at most grounds. At Withdean they're barely in the bloody place and need us to tell them that they've scored ffs. Factor in the Family Stand being almost as far away and it's no surprise that the noise seems less than it actually is. There always seems plenty of noise in D and E and if you leave the stands part way through a game you'll notice that the noise coming from the South Stand is actually pretty good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports