Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be buying anyone in January?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From the sounds of it, the main signing being looked at is a long term replacement for Murray, and given how replacing Murray has gone previously(!), it's one we don't want to rush and get wrong, so it may be in the summer rather than January.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From the sounds of it, the main signing being looked at is a long term replacement for Murray, and given how replacing Murray has gone previously(!), it's one we don't want to rush and get wrong, so it may be in the summer rather than January.

There will be far more options available to us in the summer anyway, and at not so inflated prices too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Especially if we are in the Championship

What have you seen about us that makes you think we're about to go on a huge slump in form, as we did towards the end of Hughton's reign?

This season feels nothing like last season - this time last season we were fortunate to have the points we had. This season, we arguably deserve to have quite a few more.

We're currently on course for 43 points, if our continued underachievement continues results wise.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
What have you seen about us that makes you think we're about to go on a huge slump in form, as we did towards the end of Hughton's reign?

This season feels nothing like last season - this time last season we were fortunate to have the points we had. This season, we arguably deserve to have quite a few more.

We're currently on course for 43 points, if our continued underachievement continues results wise.

My fear are the current teams in the relegation places look far more capable of climbing out than those last year and we are 6 points closer to them than last year

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Right on cue, from a few hours ago in Germany. This one was kicking about a few weeks ago. Maybe not so much long term but medium term replacement. Or of course, as with many 'gerüchte' could be a load of bollards.

https://sport-90.de/sebastian-ander...yaS9phlVoOLg3OnxVU1e0Qg7TQ5GdYKV9slBOXLBZSjbY

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My fear are the current teams in the relegation places look far more capable of climbing out than those last year and we are 6 points closer to them than last year

Fair point - however do you not also think that sides such as Bournemouth and Newcastle look very much capable of going on bad runs themselves? Also, if those bottom 3 keep picking up points, it will most likely be at the expense of other sides in the bottom half - so that balances things out a little.

I see us only improving as the season goes on, as the players become more and more bedded into Potter's football philosophy. I don't think we're safe yet, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident in our survival chances than I did last season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

But we’re also significantly better - we can get results against the top 6, it’s a much improved squad, there’s variation in tactics, we now have resolve when trailing, plus Mooy and Maupay.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Fair point - however do you not also think that sides such as Bournemouth and Newcastle look very much capable of going on bad runs themselves? Also, if those bottom 3 keep picking up points, it will most likely be at the expense of other sides in the bottom half - so that balances things out a little.

I see us only improving as the season goes on, as the players become more and more bedded into Potter's football philosophy. I don't think we're safe yet, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident in our survival chances than I did last season.

Bournemouth are in a false position at the moment with a crippling injury list, get those players back and I think they will be ok. Norwich I don’t think will escape but the likes of Villa Watford and West Ham will I think strengthen in the window. That could make us vulnerable if we don’t
Even Palace who don’t look in a vulnerable position are talking of strengthening by 4/5 players

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

It's a reasonable point. Last season, Fulham & Huddersfield were so dire, realistically after Christmas there was only one relegation place up for grabs. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't take that last spot. We won't get away with it this season if we go into a similar slump. Many below us are showing signs of improvement. The one that may go into freefall is Bournemouth. Hopefully. Having said all that, the mood, confidence and style of the team this season suggests we should be okay.*

* Comes with the caveat of I think.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If we get beaten in our next three league games, two against teams below us, I think we will be in the bottom three or close This at least will give us ten days of the window to strengthen before it closes

Whatever happens will happen and not a jot can we do about it, unless you fancy putting banners out telling Barber to stop being a skinflint (sic)! .
We may be fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your pov) that we might be safe by the end of March - or more to the point NEED to be safe by then as we have an extremely tough run of matches in April and May.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If we get beaten in our next three league games, two against teams below us, I think we will be in the bottom three or close This at least will give us ten days of the window to strengthen before it closes

I very much doubt our recruitment strategy is to wait and see what happens in three matches before buying. They will be thinking much more long term than that. I expect they have targets identified, and if they become available at the right price, we will buy. If they don't, we won't.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I will be very concerned if we don’t get a striker in.

All very well saying blah blah we have Murray, but for whatever reason the guy does not fit Potters style. So we therefore have a lot of reliance on Maupay and Connolly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I see a medium term replacement coming in for Murray, this month.

No one fancy, not excessively big money (for the Albion) not a good prospect.
Just a unit of a striker with a half decent goal ratio.

I couldn't begin to fathom starting February with only 2 recognised strikers, I'm amazed the team has made to January in that situation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Striker considerations :

1) When the last window slammed shut we had 4 - Maupay, Connolly, Murray and Andone.

2) At this point we had already sent Gyokeres and Mlakar out on loan.

3) Andone's departure was clearly unplanned.

4) So, we are a striker down on what we want.

5) If Murray is allowed to leave then we are 2 down...

6) If the club's line via Owen is that the chances of a striker singing is "very, very slim" then it can only mean that 1 or both of Gyokeres and Mlakar is being recalled.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Striker considerations :

1) When the last window slammed shut we had 4 - Maupay, Connolly, Murray and Andone.

6) If the club's line via Owen is that the chances of a striker singing is "very, very slim" then it can only mean that 1 or both of Gyokeres and Mlakar is being recalled.

Mlakar almost certainly being recalled. This has been reported all over the QPR press. Though not sure he is up to what we need if he has been bench warming for QPR all season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Striker considerations :

We must be 2 down just now - can’t believe Locardia was a planned out either. 3 down if GM moves on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here