[Albion] Will the ticket exchange open? - yes it will!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some recent excellent posts (Nick, Bozza, etc) are in danger of derailing those intent of keeping this thread going round in circles.

PB has explained why we can’t share tickets, not least because STs are sold at a discount so why should “friends” get cheaper tickets when they are not even members?

Two things : 1) I don’t know but claims of “the majority of fans disagree” and 2) “I’d be happy to give my ticket away without any recompense” don’t quite stack up, esp when the same people complain about not being allowed to take their sandwiches into the stadium. Yes, I’d be happy to give a friend or neighbour a spare ticket every now and again but if I knew they could afford it I would expect them to chip in. On the contrary a friend who couldn’t afford to buy a ticket probably wouldn’t continue to accept a freebie for too long

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Business contact. He can give tickets to who he likes. Like 1901 then?

We can all claim to find examples of how other clubs treat their fans better than we do. You know the answer

Absolutely nothing like 1901. Has 2 tickets in his name in a general stand.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It is looking like my wifes once a year trip to Amex is gone.

If this critical ticketing issue isn't on the top of Barb's in-tray today, then I would like to know why not.

I am now convinced that this is a parody account and and I am kicking myself for not realising this was the case sooner.

Well played. :clap2:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You make a point about us accepting that its no longer our club, well frankly IT ISNT and never has been. The current admin of the club have a duty to the owner to do what the owner wants them to do. We are incredibly lucky that we have an owner who is a fan, who obviously loves the club and runs it as well as he does. The fans are part of the club, the fans make the club what it is, but we simply do not, and never have had a god given right to tell the club how to conduct itself, and what decisions to make.

I think some people forget this point. We own the memories rather than the club. We are integral to the experience and we will still be here if it all goes wrong just like we were in the 90s. However that does not entitle us to make day to day operational decisions. In fact there isn’t an ‘us’ because what these threads clearly show is that different people have different opinions on this subject. Every time I read a post claiming the club is ‘clearly wrong’ I think to myself that’s a big claim on a subjective issue and that person is not speaking on my behalf.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I agree with a lot of what has been said but ultimately a Season Ticket is brought by one person so they can attend every league match (in Brighton's example, other clubs include cup matches). I think it a pity the facility for someone who has to miss a handful of games a year to be able to transfer the ticket to someone they know is quite expensive but ultimately groups of people sharing season tickets and going on a rotation basis isn't what they are for.

As for people who haven't been to a game this season, I fully understand if you are immune suppressed or similar but that aside it isn't really the club's fault you can't get to games.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Absolutely nothing like 1901. Has 2 tickets in his name in a general stand.

If Southampton allow this, thats great for him, and I would love that facility, but ticketing is an arrangement for the individual club to decide on. I am sure there are aspects from most clubs that are better than ours, and similarly there will be aspects of our club that are better than others. Do Man Utd/Liverpool/City etc allow (even for the stupidly expensive and prohibitive sum of a whole £20 for the season ) people to share tickets with anyone who is a club member? They may do, I dont know

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If Southampton allow this, thats great for him, and I would love that facility, but ticketing is an arrangement for the individual club to decide on. I am sure there are aspects from most clubs that are better than ours, and similarly there will be aspects of our club that are better than others. Do Man Utd/Liverpool/City etc allow (even for the stupidly expensive and prohibitive sum of a whole £20 for the season ) people to share tickets with anyone who is a club member? They may do, I dont know

Agree clubs are free to do what they like. Some better some not. I only mentioned Southampton because PB has quoted Chelsea and Spurs several times allowing sharing because they charge more for STs. Always thought this was a poor comparison to Albion 2 of few clubs along with Arsenal. who can get away with charging what they like. I just heard what they do at Southampton which as similar size club and is a better comparison.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Out of curiosity I’ve just scanned Southampton’s ST terms and conditions. It doesn’t say if they are transferable or not but I did note:

Ticket exchange facility for sold out fixtures
The ability to upgrade Season Tickets for Juniors and Enablers who cannot attend matches
Window to purchase additional tickets on matches ahead of general sale

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Out of curiosity I’ve just scanned Southampton’s ST terms and conditions. It doesn’t say if they are transferable or not but I did note:

Ticket exchange facility for sold out fixtures
The ability to upgrade Season Tickets for Juniors and Enablers who cannot attend matches
Window to purchase additional tickets on matches ahead of general sale

They probably aren't transferable, but only in the same way that our STs weren't strictly transferable in any seasons prior to this year.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
They probably aren't transferable, but only in the same way that our STs weren't strictly transferable in any seasons prior to this year.

Last time I went to Brighton game at Southampton he could not go and gave me both tickets which were both in his name. We didnt cheer when Murray equalised in the last minute

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last time I went to Brighton game at Southampton he could not go and gave me both tickets which were both in his name. We didnt cheer when Murray equalised in the last minute

A great example for not making STs transferable to anyone you like, as you just end up with away fans in the home areas in an uncontrolled way.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Unless I'm looking at the Man City ticket availability incorrectly, it currently only has 13 wheelchair seats on sale and nothing else.

If that is the case, why hasn't the ticket exchange opened yet?

Or am I missing something?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Unless I'm looking at the Man City ticket availability incorrectly, it currently only has 13 wheelchair seats on sale and nothing else.

This is pretty much the question all the STH that have listed their tickets are asking too!

Little adjustments to the Exchange system like opening nice and early when so few tickets left could make it work better for everyone; or at least for those selling and those buying.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield

The Club are still waiting to see if they have any ticket returns themselves (the ones they give sponsors, WAGS etc) before they start to allow STHs to sell their tickets on the system - it's to protect their interests.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree clubs are free to do what they like. Some better some not. I only mentioned Southampton because PB has quoted Chelsea and Spurs several times allowing sharing because they charge more for STs. Always thought this was a poor comparison to Albion 2 of few clubs along with Arsenal. who can get away with charging what they like. I just heard what they do at Southampton which as similar size club and is a better comparison.

Not sure any club can get away with charging what they like. Albion like Southampton froze season ticket prices this season.
And they are different in some ways...
Southampton have a bar / cafe - a bit like Dicks Bar. But it costs £99 a season to gain entry.
Seat transfers - when renewing STs cost £10. They like an admin fee to do virtually anything at St Marys.
Their equivalent to Albion + membership is £40 a season
They don't offer free bus and train travel.
They do like Albion have a ticket exchange scheme, ability to upgrade u18s tickets, shop discounts etc.
and they do unlike Albion offer you the chance to pass on tickets without a one off admin fee.
But you have to watch Southampton.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure any club can get away with charging what they like. Albion like Southampton froze season ticket prices this season.
Southampton have a bar / cafe - a bit like Dicks Bar. But it costs £99 a season to gain entry.
Seat transfers - when renewing STs cost £10. They like an admin fee to do virtually anything at St Marys.
They do like Albion have a ticket exchange scheme, ability to upgrade u18s tickets, shop discounts etc.
and they do unlike Albion offer you the chance to pass on tickets without a one off admin fee.

always a catch somewhere

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Really good post. Thanks. Re your penultimate point about passing on tickets, is this an implied permission or is it actually stated that ST can be “lent” (or does the club administer the transfer so they know who is using the ticket) ?

I wonder if the teams that have been in the PL much longer than the Albion are finding it more difficult to unwind some of the established practices that don’t comply with new requirements.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think some people forget this point. We own the memories rather than the club. We are integral to the experience and we will still be here if it all goes wrong just like we were in the 90s. However that does not entitle us to make day to day operational decisions. In fact there isn’t an ‘us’ because what these threads clearly show is that different people have different opinions on this subject. Every time I read a post claiming the club is ‘clearly wrong’ I think to myself that’s a big claim on a subjective issue and that person is not speaking on my behalf.

You could turn that argument on its head though.

Unlike regular consumers, the club has a captive market. Like you say, we will always be here. I'm not suddenly going to support another club because I don't like the ticketing policy. As you say, different opinions and we aren't entitled to make operational decisions but I do wonder how much the club really cares about different views.

I don't know if the empty seats were a result of weather, health concerns, transport or ticketing. But there's no doubt fewer people are visiting the Amex than pre Covid - in our best ever season to date.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Really good post. Thanks. Re your penultimate point about passing on tickets, is this an implied permission or is it actually stated that ST can be “lent” (or does the club administer the transfer so they know who is using the ticket) ?

I wonder if the teams that have been in the PL much longer than the Albion are finding it more difficult to unwind some of the established practices that don’t comply with new requirements.

Its my reading of their Terms
via https://www.southamptonfc.com/season-tickets/ticketing-terms-and-conditions
how you do it with mobile tickets - i've no idea. They don't make it very clear on their website.
I'd have to rely on a Saints fan to come on here and tell us how it actually works.

"In the
event that you and/or your Guest(s) are unable to use any Ticket then you may transfer that
Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally and who would be entitled (under
the Terms & Conditions of Entry and otherwise) to purchase such Ticket and attend such Match
PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess
of the face value of the Ticket, and such transfer does not take place in the course of any
business or for the purpose of facilitating any third party’s business. Such transfer will be subject
to the Terms & Conditions of Entry which will (save for any rights to transfer under this clause
or any rights to a refund under paragraph 15) apply to and bind the transferee as if he were the
original purchaser of the Ticket (and you must inform the transferee of this). You will provide
the name and address of the transferee when asked to do so by any official, steward or
employee of the Club and/or any police officer. "

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
But you have to watch Southampton.[/QUOTE]

always a catch somewhere

To be fair not many grounds out in sticks like Amex. Can you imagine if all spectators apart from those using cars had to use public transport. Would be interesting to watch the 1000s buying and having tickets checked at stations and on buses

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports