Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We're losing 8 million a year and spunking out 2 million on a new striker, bidding 2.5 million for a centre-back. Are you going to lead the Bloom out campaign?

Exactly. I want to see Blooms bank balance or I'm starting a Bloom out campaign. Where are the QPR fans demonstrations this weekend and all the other clubs that have spunked too much cash. Our case was entirely different. I don't remember Albion fans demonstrating when we were putting our players in the early eighties on ridiculous 10 year contracts which made the conditions perfect years later for those two cnuts to come along and f*** us over.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Fans United??? I was trying to make the point that most of them don't seem to give a toss! If you have spent anytime amongst Pompey fans then you will get what I am trying to get at.

I do know some Pompey fans, through work and family, and they all have different levels of commitment to their club, just like our fans. Quite a few of the so-called Albion fans who currently sit around me in the upper west do not even have the Albion as their first club, and they'll disappear like last month's snow when our fortunes dip.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I do know some Pompey fans, through work and family, and they all have different levels of commitment to their club, just like our fans. Quite a few of the so-called Albion fans who currently sit around me in the upper west do not even have the Albion as their first club, and they'll disappear like last month's snow when our fortunes dip.

Your last sentence is a little worrying. I sit in the Upper West and the fans that sit around me are all commited Albion fans. Would be interesting if you could find out who these fans support as their first club, if they are season ticket holders, and why they they actually bother to come to The Amex.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Your last sentence is a little worrying. I sit in the Upper West and the fans that sit around me are all commited Albion fans. Would be interesting if you could find out who these fans support as their first club, if they are season ticket holders, and why they they actually bother to come to The Amex.

Next to me in WSU are two lads who support(ed) Liverpool and Arsenal. They now turn up in their stripes and the (ex-ish)Gooner was supporting us on Saturday. I suspect their supposed Prem League allegence was shallow rooted and arm-chair by nature so the passion of watching a team in the flesh several times a year probably holds sway sooner or later.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Next to me in WSU are two lads who support(ed) Liverpool and Arsenal. They now turn up in their stripes and the (ex-ish)Gooner was supporting us on Saturday. I suspect their supposed Prem League allegence was shallow rooted and arm-chair by nature so the passion of watching a team in the flesh several times a year probably holds sway sooner or later.

This is so true. They will slowly or quickly morph into being Albion fans - afterall if you go regularly and want the albion to win, what else are you?

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
I agree with you 100%. Why didn't they protest when the kept entering administration, when the club kept changing hands, to even more dodgy and overseas ownership and when the continued to try and buy players when it was continually pointed out that there attendances couldn't sustain.

Thats why there is a difference between them and us.

Your right of course, nobody can be certain that Bloom knows what he is doing, although given his track record with his own businesses and how he has supported and
developed the Albion to date it does not give any reason for concern at the moment. Lets see where we are in another year or so but the way it has been explained by Barber and others, it looks like there is a plan to make us fully sustainable sooner rather than later.

You seem to be saying that pompey fans do not deserve ANY sympathy for the shambles that currently surrounds their club because, in your eyes, the fans do not meet YOUR arbitrary levels of activism in light of the situation. Despite 2000 fans signing up to pledge £1000. Despite ave attendances in league 1 being around 12000. I was living in Portsmouth (for uni) at the time Gaydamak 'pulled the plug' on financing the clubs losses and there were many protests and campaigns started by the pompey supporters trust (or what became the pompey supporters trust). I dont buy what your saying (although it appears that im in the minority on here). In my opinion you just dont like pompey and there is nothing the fans could do to make you believe that the fans deserve even the slightest bit of sympathy. Even if pompey did arrange a mass walk out or pitch invasion you would probably be moaning that they had copied what we had done all those years ago.

Should pompey now give up the ghost and start again? Probably. This has gone on long enough without any resolution in sight. But me, I feel some sympathy. Not a lot, but a little at least.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
You seem to be saying that pompey fans do not deserve ANY sympathy for the shambles that currently surrounds their club because, in your eyes, the fans do not meet YOUR arbitrary levels of activism in light of the situation. Despite 2000 fans signing up to pledge £1000. Despite ave attendances in league 1 being around 12000. I was living in Portsmouth (for uni) at the time Gaydamak 'pulled the plug' on financing the clubs losses and there were many protests and campaigns started by the pompey supporters trust (or what became the pompey supporters trust). I dont buy what your saying (although it appears that im in the minority on here). In my opinion you just dont like pompey and there is nothing the fans could do to make you believe that the fans deserve even the slightest bit of sympathy. Even if pompey did arrange a mass walk out or pitch invasion you would probably be moaning that they had copied what we had done all those years ago.

Should pompey now give up the ghost and start again? Probably. This has gone on long enough without any resolution in sight. But me, I feel some sympathy. Not a lot, but a little at least.

I'm not quite sure why your trying to pick an arguement with me. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what you perceive my attitude to Portsmouth is without a lot to back it up.

For the record I do feel sympathy for the genuine Portsmouth fans which I have acknowledged do exist. What I still find difficult to fathom is why protests and campaigns wern't started some time ago, perhaps after administrations one or two might have been a better idea. You mentioned that there were protests by the pompey supporters trusts but nobody outside of Portsmouth seems to have heard of these. Perhaps if they had taken there protests to a wider audience, (such as we did), they might have been a little more succesful.

Finally you say that you think its gone on too long, (agreed), Probably best to start again, (agreed), and that you have some sympathy but not a lot, (agreed), so I'm still not sure why you seem to think my comments are out of order.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
I'm not quite sure why your trying to pick an arguement with me. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what you perceive my attitude to Portsmouth is without a lot to back it up.

For the record I do feel sympathy for the genuine Portsmouth fans which I have acknowledged do exist. What I still find difficult to fathom is why protests and campaigns wern't started some time ago, perhaps after administrations one or two might have been a better idea. You mentioned that there were protests by the pompey supporters trusts but nobody outside of Portsmouth seems to have heard of these. Perhaps if they had taken there protests to a wider audience, (such as we did), they might have been a little more succesful.

Finally you say that you think its gone on too long, (agreed), Probably best to start again, (agreed), and that you have some sympathy but not a lot, (agreed), so I'm still not sure why you seem to think my comments are out of order.

I have made assumptions about your attitude towards pompey, based on your comments. Just like you made assumptions about me, my age and knowledge of albion history based on my comments. Reviewing the last few pages of this tread, the error I have made is wrongly attributing one or two comments made by others, to you. For that i apologise. It appears that we may be singing from the same hymn sheet about this anyhow- it just didn't appear that way a few pages ago.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE

They are season ticket holders, although one seems to be shared. One 'supports' Liverpool, the others London clubs. They're local lads, and like many others, they've jumped on the Albion bandwagon - for now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps if they had taken there protests to a wider audience, (such as we did), they might have been a little more succesful.
They wouldn't have been. Gaydamak is making money from destroying pompey, and a demo isn't (and wasn't) going to make him feel bad and walk away.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Just as an aside regarding Portsmouth I see that Channel 4 are screening a 7 minute documentary in the Shooting Gallery programme at 12:15 am Tuesday morning featuring no less a person than John Westwood , otherwise known as the Twat with the Bell.
This particular segment is titled "The smell of Football" which anybody who has had the pleasure/misfortune to travel with the said gentleman on the train to the Amex will agree is more than apt.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hmmm now doesn't that sound familiar? Didn't stop us did it.
Archer was not Gaydamak. Archer's reputation in this country at least meant something to him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A new or old Portsmouth, a dangerous precedent has been set. The authorities are bending over backwards to accommodate a club whom set about buying a place in the top flight and couldn't cope with the finances after relegation. The rules seem to have changed to protect those that get relegated.

Parachute payments are bollocks. They protect the usual suspects.

How about a fairer spread of the cash and proper punishments for those that seek to gain advantage by spending stupid amounts.

I'm fast losing interest in football.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Yes. Balhram Chanrai is the owner they are in dispute with.

Gaydamak is long gone, apart from an ownership dispute concerning a small strip of land outside Fratton Park.

Sasha Gaydamak began asset stripping the club when he and his much richer father (who it is rumoured was actually the money behind the club) experienced financial difficulties related to their other business interests. Gaydamak pocketed much of the parachute payments since they were relegated from premiership. There are several articles on the bbc website (and others) which claim this. The club was then sold to various parities before chanrai loaned the club a significant sum to keep afloat. Chanrai then took control of club when it became obvious that he was never going to see his money again. So YES the club are in despute with Chanrai. BUT the house of cards which is pompey began to fall due to Gaydamak's actions. Had Pompey been able to stabilise by actually using some of the parachute payments it could be a different story.

The caveat to that, is that once promoted they would have never have the success that had without Gaydamak's money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here