Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sasha Gaydamak began asset stripping the club when he and his much richer father (who it is rumoured was actually the money behind the club) experienced financial difficulties related to their other business interests. Gaydamak pocketed much of the parachute payments since they were relegated from premiership. There are several articles on the bbc website (and others) which claim this. The club was then sold to various parities before chanrai loaned the club a significant sum to keep afloat. Chanrai then took control of club when it became obvious that he was never going to see his money again. So YES the club are in despute with Chanrai. BUT the house of cards which is pompey began to fall due to Gaydamak's actions. Had Pompey been able to stabilise by actually using some of the parachute payments it could be a different story.

The caveat to that, is that once promoted they would have never have the success that had without Gaydamak's money.

Yes.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
A new or old Portsmouth, a dangerous precedent has been set. The authorities are bending over backwards to accommodate a club whom set about buying a place in the top flight and couldn't cope with the finances after relegation. The rules seem to have changed to protect those that get relegated.

Parachute payments are bollocks. They protect the usual suspects.

How about a fairer spread of the cash and proper punishments for those that seek to gain advantage by spending stupid amounts.

I'm fast losing interest in football.

Come and join the cycling geeks then BoF. :-D

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bad news for any of you who fancied popping down to Fratton to pick up a Pompey ash tray today.....

THE two official Pompey shops have closed their doors to customers.

The Pompey Megastore, in Fratton Way, and the shop within Cascades Shopping Centre have stopped trading.

The shops are not owned or operated by Portsmouth Football Club, but instead are operated by Scotland-registered firm Frogmore Retail Limited, known formerly as Kappa Retail Limited.

Pompey spokesman Neil Weld said the club could not comment at this early stage, but confirmed the shops had closed.

The News understands the company is on the brink of administration, but no official notice has yet been published.

Customers said they had been told the stores would be closed temporarily, and the shops’ website would be back to taking orders soon.

One said: ‘I was just told there were legal problems that need sorting out, but they wouldn’t tell me what they are.’

There is a notice on the site saying internet orders cannot currently be processed.

No-one from the shops could be contacted on either of the stores’ lines, or on the general enquiries number when The News attempted to contact the company.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bad news for any of you who fancied popping down to Fratton to pick up a Pompey ash tray today.....

The Pompey Megastore, in Fratton Way, and the shop within Cascades Shopping Centre have stopped trading.

The shops are not owned or operated by Portsmouth Football Club, but instead are operated by Scotland-registered firm Frogmore Retail Limited, known formerly as Kappa Retail Limited.

Pompey spokesman Neil Weld said the club could not comment at this early stage, but confirmed the shops had closed.

The News understands the company is on the brink of administration, but no official notice has yet been published.

Customers said they had been told the stores would be closed temporarily, and the shops’ website would be back to taking orders soon.

One said: ‘I was just told there were legal problems that need sorting out, but they wouldn’t tell me what they are.’

There is a notice on the site saying internet orders cannot currently be processed.

No-one from the shops could be contacted on either of the stores’ lines, or on the general enquiries number when The News attempted to contact the company.

How apt. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Did customers keep going in and offering 2p in the pound for purchases?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Running 2 shops must cost a fortune in rent , power and wages. I wonder if they know the writing is on the wall and going into administration is pre-empting the inevitable when it all goes tits up.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From SkySports today:

The City financier Keith Harris is lining up a bid to take control of the struggling League One football club Portsmouth a year after it fell into administration for the third time.

Sounds like Orville isn't too keen on getting involved though, and who can blame him?

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
From SkySports today:

The City financier Keith Harris is lining up a bid to take control of the struggling League One football club Portsmouth a year after it fell into administration for the third time.

Sounds like Orville isn't too keen on getting involved though, and who can blame him?

If I said he wanted to DUCK his responsibilities, you would only groan. Maybe he will be hoisined by his own canard.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
PST are dismissing any rival bid from this consortium as speculation. Another interested party after the final parachute payment ? The company that ran the two club shops was only paying Pompey 4% commission on merchandise sold , other football clubs outsourcing to a third party normally take a 33% to 50% commission.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If I said he wanted to DUCK his responsibilities, you would only groan. Maybe he will be hoisined by his own canard.

The new board would be nothing more than a puppet regime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here