Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wouldn't want to see any clubs wound up for the reasons expressed above, namely the loyal and dedicated fans. But I make an exception in Portsmouth's case.

The fans bought completely into the succession of dodgy owners from Mandaric onward, and whenever anyone in the media (including myself) pointed out that it was all built on sand and bound to end in tears, all we got was abuse and accusations of an anti-Portsmouth agenda. NOT ONE of the self-styled best fans in England wondered whether the fact that every single national paper was asking the same questions might mean they were onto something - despite the fact that everyone in the Portsmouth area seemed to know someone who was owed money by that despicable outfit.

None of the fans demanded answers to the media's questions from Gaydamak, al-Fahim, al-Faraj and the rest. All we got was "You don't know what you're talking about, [fill in name of owner] loves the club, my mate met him in the pub and told me so." Of course, that would have been tricky in the case of al-Faraj, who didn't actually exist.

Okay, they didn't have an Attila, a Paul Samrah, a Lenny Rider to hold them up to scrutiny, just a set of head-in-the-sand cheerleaders. But that doesn't mean I have any sympathy for them. Especially when I remember posters on their local paper website when the fire-sale of players began, asking how this was going to get them back into Europe 'where a club of our size needs to be.' Hilarious, but not as funny as what's happened to them since.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I wouldn't want to see any clubs wound up for the reasons expressed above, namely the loyal and dedicated fans. But I make an exception in Portsmouth's case.

The fans bought completely into the succession of dodgy owners from Mandaric onward, and whenever anyone in the media (including myself) pointed out that it was all built on sand and bound to end in tears, all we got was abuse and accusations of an anti-Portsmouth agenda. NOT ONE of the self-styled best fans in England wondered whether the fact that every single national paper was asking the same questions might mean they were onto something - despite the fact that everyone in the Portsmouth area seemed to know someone who was owed money by that despicable outfit.

None of the fans demanded answers to the media's questions from Gaydamak, al-Fahim, al-Faraj and the rest. All we got was "You don't know what you're talking about, [fill in name of owner] loves the club, my mate met him in the pub and told me so." Of course, that would have been tricky in the case of al-Faraj, who didn't actually exist.

Okay, they didn't have an Attila, a Paul Samrah, a Lenny Rider to hold them up to scrutiny, just a set of head-in-the-sand cheerleaders. But that doesn't mean I have any sympathy for them. Especially when I remember posters on their local paper website when the fire-sale of players began, asking how this was going to get them back into Europe 'where a club of our size needs to be.' Hilarious, but not as funny as what's happened to them since.

Very much THIS. As Brighton fans, we're all very aware of the importance of a football club and fans united. But Pompey fans didn't give a crap when the media were pointing out how iffy the owners were, all they cared about winning stuff paid for on the never, never by the worlds only skint Arabs, sheik ma booty or whatever he was called.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another VITAL point for Pompey on Saturday, they've dropped a place but now have a 2 point BUFFER above the relegation zone.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I wouldn't particularly want see the club go out of existence but I would love to see them relegated-after all, that is where they should be had the Football League not allowed them to continually get away with financial irregularities and mismanagement.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Relegation would see them where they should rightfully be , non league. The FL bottled out so many times dishing out a meaningful punishment I lost count.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another VITAL point for Pompey on Saturday, they've dropped a place but now have a 2 point BUFFER above the relegation zone.
Morecambe away on Saturday is now MASSIVE.

Portsmouth away to Morecambe (9th)
Bristol Rovers at home to Newport (8th)
Torquay away to Oxford (7th)

A Bristol Rovers draw and Pompey defeat will drop them another place. Add a Torquay win to that and it's :cheers: :cheers:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Morecambe away on Saturday is now MASSIVE.

Portsmouth away to Morecambe (9th)
Bristol Rovers at home to Newport (8th)
Torquay away to Oxford (7th)

A Bristol Rovers draw and Pompey defeat will drop them another place. Add a Torquay win to that and it's :cheers: :cheers:

I reckon this will be:

Portsmouth away to Morecambe (9th) Morecambe Win
Bristol Rovers at home to Newport (8th) Bristol Win
Torquay away to Oxford (7th) Draw

Leaving LL Pompey ONE place and ONE point above the relegation zone.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The only reason they now have a two point "buffer" is because last Saturday's six pointer between the two sides currently occupying the bottom places (Northampton and Torquay) was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Thus it was the ideal opportunity for Pompey to take advantage.

Ah well :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last edited:

Dec 3, 2012
I used to work with a bloke who was a Pompey fan and he'd bang on about them being sleeping giants. Half of that is true I used to say. He didn't get it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I used to work with a bloke who was a Pompey fan and he'd bang on about them being sleeping giants. Half of that is true I used to say. He didn't get it.

I work with one now.

He's gone very quiet on the footy talk at the moment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here