Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The easy answer is its an anomaly, or the exception that proves the rule, or that it's a different country, league, culture.

I'm not overly familiar with their structure. A quick skim over a couple of articles suggests it is a rather unique situation due to the history of the club, that it isn't possible to "own" shares, simply sign up as a membership scheme, and that there are factions within that membership already. The club is hundreds of millions of euros in debt and how much to "sell out" to face growing costs is a point of contention within the group, with the shirt sponsorship deal being quite controversial.

How about Bayern Munich? They seem to be doing OK for a fans-owned club

gavind

Banned
Jul 2, 2013
What happened to Balram Chainrai? Did he get his cash yet?
smile2.png

Good grief, they just don't learn do they.

Speculate to accumulate, have they forgotten already what happened last time they adopted this business model.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

That itemised list of debts to each player (eg Kitson :eek:) is eye watering and hopefully other Clubs won't lose sight of the downside of spraying money around you don't have.

Scary that a Club that was enjoying the fruits of the Premiership only a few years ago (albeit on a raft of debt) can still find itself in such a hellish position. I still don't have much sympathy for them but all the time the new owners are still servicing those sort of debts it is difficult to see how they can claw their way back. Plus the FA and Football League still have some questions to answer too for allowing Pompey and their sequence of owners to continue themselves into an abyss.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Reading that reminded me of Holloway signing Dindane last season, immediately stating he was desparately unfit and never playing him. Some similarities with this seasons transfer 'plan' with that French defender.

Perhaps Dindane only signs for f#cked up clubs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quite funny reading the Pompey board at the moment.

Bit of dissatisfaction around that they keep throwing away leads (presumably their divine right to win L2 on account of them being a Big Club hasn't kicked in yet). Lots of debate on whether Whittingham is the man for the job.

Anyway, they are agreed on one thing: John Sullivan is a terrible keeper :lolol:

Poor old John, I always thought he'd probably be OK in L2, but seemingly he's had a dreadful start to his Pompey career. They hate him.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
"The current team has "GM Vauxhall Conference" or whatever it's called these days written all over it.... Another relegation won't help us pay off the debts!"

:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite funny reading the Pompey board at the moment.

Bit of dissatisfaction around that they keep throwing away leads (presumably their divine right to win L2 on account of them being a Big Club hasn't kicked in yet). Lots of debate on whether Whittingham is the man for the job.

Anyway, they are agreed on one thing: John Sullivan is a terrible keeper :lolol:

Poor old John, I always thought he'd probably be OK in L2, but seemingly he's had a dreadful start to his Pompey career. They hate him.

That's a shame. He put in the single best performance I've ever seen from an Albion keeper, in a 0-0 draw away to Leicester. I guess confidence and probably a bit of luck, are important things in a young keeper's career.

It's a shame he's ended up at Pompey at all tbh. I'd like him to do okay, but at the same time, every goal they concede is a cause for celebration.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/opinion/how-parachute-payments-can-halt-pompey-s-plummet-1-5467474

Bankrolling such hefty payouts was the arrival of around £5.5m in the form of the scheduled August parachute payment.

The final parachute payment totals about £9M , so they have enough to pay off the players who are owed wages , the £1.4M city council loan was also paid back at the end of August and the bill from the administrators will swallow up what is left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here