Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why has Shane Duffy's return gone so well?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I honestly think that there isn't a huge amount of difference in talent between the average player in the top flight any more, the mental side of the game is far more important when it comes to performance levels.

Ultimately, Duffy's return has gone well because the club have treated him well, focussed him and got him wanting to play again. The interviews he has given after the first two games are one of the biggest endorsements you will ever hear of a football club and we should all be very proud.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Think he said it himself in his post match interview. He is happy here. Most likely the biggest reason of all. Footballers are human after all. Think the whole squad would have been happy to have Duffy back here as well he was certainly a character everyone seemed to like. He looks fitter than before he went on loan and has worked hard. I think the club knew a decent season from white would lead to him being sold for good money. Roberts and Leo are not quite ready although I think both will have opportunities from next year onwards and Duffy is as good as any stop gap CB we may bring in for a year or 2. Has most likely saved the club £10-15 million and allows the other 2 to develop their skills even more

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I reckon the difference to him between thousands signing his name and him being constantly slated is huge.

Shane is incredibly popular with the fans and players here

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Possibly playing in the centre of the three helps him out as he isn't expected to play out so much from there and is looking to make short passes to others better suited to it.

I think I saw a post saying that Lallana is also helping to direct Duffy where to play the ball.
This may be true, but I didn't notice it myself.
It probably goes along with his statement that he is listening more now than he was willing to previously.

The other and most important factor, is that he is a class act.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Potter has placed him in the centre of 3 CB's where his main responsibilities are to win headers, make blocks and and double up on centre forwards to support the other CB's. He does all these things very well and allows Webster & Dunk to be more adventurous. However I'm expecting Dunk to return to the centre position as soon as another competitive CB option becomes available

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Duffy hasn't changed one little bit, it's Potterball that's changed. Dunk'n'Duffy is exactly as effective as it ever was. And now with added Webster! And Sanchez behind them! It's an enviable combination that Potter's lucked into, and one that he casually tosses aside at his peril before seeing how far it can take us

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Actually think the question is more "why did Duffy's loan to Celtic NOT go so well?" His dad had died suddenly and he was in a new city during lockdown(s). Scottish lockdown restrictions were stricter then English ones too I believe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Actually think the question is more "why did Duffy's loan to Celtic NOT go so well?" His dad had died suddenly and he was in a new city during lockdown(s). Scottish lockdown restrictions were stricter then English ones too I believe.

Indeed.

Also, it’s a little different playing for the club you have always loved. I suspect he put a different (not more) pressure on himself.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Burnley was a roll your sleeves up battle. Watford decided to sit back and let us play out, particularly in the first half. Both played to Duffy's strength and the headed goal was superb.

However even teams visiting Withdean knew how to play a non ball playing centre back. Basically you press every other player, leaving the one player free, you then try and force them to play the ball using their weaker foot, until you force the error. This is horrible as a player as you know you are being targeted, which just adds to the pressure.

I still haven't properly sussed Potter. I expected Connolly to start tonight, but now it looks like he will be saved for the weekend. What I think happened against Burnley, was that Veltman's late withdrawal was an unexpected set back. Starting with Gross at left back seemed bizarre except he is the most trusted in possession. I think this also equates to him being the player that best understands the training drills for keeping possession.

For Duffy to continue to thrive and bring his strengths to the game, the rest of the team need to work their nuts off to make themselves available for a pass. I reckon they will have been focussing on this in training. Strangely the same goes for Sanchez, who has looked less assured than he did last season with his distribution. I think this is a very under rated skill and something we have made huge progress with under Potter.

Exactamondo I expect any half respectable press to do this, its so easy and effective. Should have Velts back after Everton.

SeagullB

Jul 4, 2021
I know we all see Duffy as a traditional defender, and I'm not denying this is where his strengths lie, but I feel as if some people are under estimating some of his ball playing capabilities. Just because he can't ping a perfect 50 yard pass under pressure, doesn't mean he can't beat the press with a simple ball into midfield. Some if his balls against Watford (albeit not a great side) were brilliant so I don't feel his inability to beat the press is as big a problem as some make it out to be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed.

Also, it’s a little different playing for the club you have always loved. I suspect he put a different (not more) pressure on himself.

Also he was asked to play in a high press and pass out from the back, which never suited him anway - and especially not in a team where his team mates were not well suited to the system either. Basically, he didn't play well, but he wasn't used properly either. Write off the year and put it down to experience.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
hard work and determination has got him back to his best in my opinion.

He looks fitter, he looks healthier and he has said he has made changes to his lifestyle.

So pleased for him when he scored on Saturday.

I hope he continues the hard work and becomes an integral part of what could be our best season in our clubs history!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I know we all see Duffy as a traditional defender, and I'm not denying this is where his strengths lie, but I feel as if some people are under estimating some of his ball playing capabilities. Just because he can't ping a perfect 50 yard pass under pressure, doesn't mean he can't beat the press with a simple ball into midfield. Some if his balls against Watford (albeit not a great side) were brilliant so I don't feel his inability to beat the press is as big a problem as some make it out to be.

Absolutely right. Some on here make out that he's a lower league clogger who's only in the team because he's tall.

On Saturday he was the first receiver of the short goal kick from Sanchez more than anyone. Every time, did what he had to do. Played a 10 yard pass and got in position to receive it back. No need to do anything more. We've got plenty who can hit longer range passes.

He'll be pressed more aggressively in coming games and I have every confidence he won't get caught out.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Absolutely right. Some on here make out that he's a lower league clogger who's only in the team because he's tall.

On Saturday he was the first receiver of the short goal kick from Sanchez more than anyone. Every time, did what he had to do. Played a 10 yard pass and got in position to receive it back. No need to do anything more. We've got plenty who can hit longer range passes.

He'll be pressed more aggressively in coming games and I have every confidence he won't get caught out.

Lets see....

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Possibly playing in the centre of the three helps him out as he isn't expected to play out so much from there and is looking to make short passes to others better suited to it.

I think I saw a post saying that Lallana is also helping to direct Duffy where to play the ball.
This may be true, but I didn't notice it myself.
It probably goes along with his statement that he is listening more now than he was willing to previously.

The other and most important factor, is that he is a class act.

That was myself who you’re referencing.
My seat is in the middle of the North Stand so had a great view of what was occurring, if Watford sent a single narrow press Duffy would go either side to Dunk or Webster, if it was a two man split press Shane would look to Lallana who was very clearly directing him where to go.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lets see....

Well, every defender will to a degree. Webby, who was magnificent on Saturday, gave a good few balls away the weekend before. Sanchez, put one or two in the stands at the weekend.

Even top quality players will get caught out by an aggressive press and give the ball away sometimes. It's an inherent risk of the strategy.

I think Shane is in good enough headspace that he won't try and pretend he's Ben White. If he has to hack it out for a throw he will. He won't let us down.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

completely agree. I notice a few people have (rightly) mentioned that teams will press in order to expose Duffy and exploit his 'deficiency' with the passing game.

My view is that the players around whoever is on the ball at the back, be it Duffy, Webster, Dunk or Sanchez will be working hard to ensure there are always options. This is where Lallana and Bissouma will help massively, dropping into space to create the passing triangles out from the back. Any player will struggle without this support, so I expect Duffy to be fine, as long as the team do their job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here