Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why has Shane Duffy's return gone so well?

Wombat1965

Feb 21, 2009
Maybe Shane returning to an old haunting ground last season was not his best career decision. I have been told that he has always liked to "enjoy" himself, take that as I you will. Maybe this and the style that Celtic wanted to play just didn't suit. I have no info re his personal life but hopefully if true he is now in a better place.
He is an old school central defender, but playing along side Dunk and Webster he can do the dirty work and let the other two take the "credit" for bringing the ball out of defence etc. I love the fact we now have so many combinations with regards to how we can set up at the back.
I think we agree that GP likes a 3-5-2 and or switching the front 2 using a false 9.
Once Lampety is back and hopefully the Cucurella goes deal goes through, we are sorted at the back.

Absolutely no comment re the strikers.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Seriously weird IMHO that few on this thread appear to deem it worthy to comment on big Shane's GOALS. Remember those? Put us on the front foot earlydoors on Saturday and has hauled our balls out of the coals on many another day. If memory serves, he actually ended up our top scorer one particularly wretched EPL season with 5 goals or something. MASSIVE asset to the club and not IMHO one to be casually tossed aside by a rookie banager who has little or no idea of what constitutes the backbone of a lower level EPL starting eleven

WHAT is with the CAPITALS all over the PLACE? It reads like you are shouting and yet the general vibe of this chat seems to be gentle, happy days, aren't things lovely when you win two games at the start of the season. So are you having an argument with yourself or are you the new Ernest? :moo:

I'm loving the Duffy renaissance including the increased set piece threat he brings and am firmly in the Ben Who camp already! :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was very interested in his comments about surrounding himself with the right people and letting the wrong ones go.
We're all aware he likes a drink and sounds like he may have decided to dial back on that front to get his game back on track.

I may be misreading the comment, but fair play to him if he has.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
WHAT is with the CAPITALS all over the PLACE? It reads like you are shouting and yet the general vibe of this chat seems to be gentle, happy days, aren't things lovely when you win two games at the start of the season. So are you having an argument with yourself or are you the new Ernest? :moo:

I'm loving the Duffy renaissance including the increased set piece threat he brings and am firmly in the Ben Who camp already! :)

It's an NSC trait to put things in CAPITALS for EMPHASIS. I believe this TRAIT was started by ERNEST (RIP*) when he had his ARS. It doesn't always mean the PERSON is SHOUTING.

*RIP = Retired Internet Persona. (For those who saw it and worried a bit)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was surprised to see that, as well as putting in solid defensive displays, Shane is also our top shot taker so far. He is joint 10th in the league for most shots in the two matches (7) and joint 7th for shots on target (3). Long may his form continue. I was so pleased for him when he scored on Saturday. He may not seem a natural fit for a Potter side, but he is doing everything he can for the team and his current attitude seems to be exemplary. He's also another leader on the pitch and hopefully can become a very positive influence off it.

Its interesting that someone has suggested on here that Duffy seems particularly close to Adam Lallana. I would think that, if this is true, it can only be of benefit. Lallana's signing seems to have been very good business for this club, not only on the pitch. He has spoken in interviews about sharing a nerd's obsession with the game with Pascal Gross, who has made himself virtually undroppable over the time that AL has been here. He has also spoken of the positive impact of the advice that Bruno has given him, echoing what Glenn Murray said about how El Capitan helped him extend his own playing days. AL seems to have fitted into a leader's role in just the way that the club hoped he would when he was signed. Having a core of dedicated veterans to set an example to the younger players seems key to development and hopefully Shane can continue to challenge for a first team spot and to contribute to this group.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The question was asked in an earlier post, what on earth did Celtic do to Shane Duffy last season?

As l now understand it, and as the player had admitted himself, it wasn't what Celtic did to Shame Duffy, but what Shane Duffy did to Shane Duffy, that was the major reason for things going terribly amiss last season.

At a low spot in his personal life, the loss of his father, terrible self confidence all playing their part

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Duffy faced plenty of tall, route one teams in Scotland, yet failed.

The difference imho is better management. Both CH and GP are excellent coaches.

Even Celtic admirers describe Lennon’s coaching and tactics as minimal to say the least. He’s a motivator pre KO and at HT. Winning trophies as by far the biggest spender in the league, until they eventually faced genuine competition.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Duffy hasn't changed one little bit, it's Potterball that's changed. Dunk'n'Duffy is exactly as effective as it ever was. And now with added Webster! And Sanchez behind them! It's an enviable combination that Potter's lucked into, and one that he casually tosses aside at his peril before seeing how far it can take us

You think Potter lucked into Sanchez when he decided to bin our ever present first choice keeper and replace him with the third choice keeper?

You're a tough audience :mad:

Oh, and I had to look it up - Webster signed for Potter. I was assuming from your post he was a Hughton signing.

I don't think that Potter casually tosses anything. If there is any tossing going on here....???
:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Duffy faced plenty of tall, route one teams in Scotland, yet failed.

The difference imho is better management. Both CH and GP are excellent coaches.

Even Celtic admirers describe Lennon’s coaching and tactics as minimal to say the least. He’s a motivator pre KO and at HT. Winning trophies as by far the biggest spender in the league, until they eventually faced genuine competition.

Also, judging by what I've seen of Lennon, if he thought Shane was having a tough time he'd advise him to go out and have a good drink.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Our weakness last season included letting leads slip and were particularly poor at set plays (offensive and defensive). Duffy, whilst not ideal, does provide better cover from set plays and will defend until the final kick. He doesn’t make my ideal 11 (Veltman, Dunk and Webster are my back 3) but Duffy has a lot of value in this squad. I imagine we’ll see a lot of Veltman and even Webster out wide to play Duffy when required plus the inevitable injuries and suspensions to cover for.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
People are massively jumping ahead of themselves here.

Let's see if he's still performing this well 5 or 10 games later.

Very much this really.

Whilst l'm sure the great majority are keen to welcome him back with open arms, (i'm very much one of them), l think a lot of this thread is laced with a degree of sentimentality.

Although the ideal choice to combat the aerial menace of a Chris Woods or a Troy Deeney, many of the predominently better sides emply more nimble, and dare l say better quality strikers, and that's where Shane traditionally struggles.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Very much this really.

Whilst l'm sure the great majority are keen to welcome him back with open arms, (i'm very much one of them), l think a lot of this thread is laced with a degree of sentimentality.

Although the ideal choice to combat the aerial menace of a Chris Woods or a Troy Deeney, many of the predominently better sides emply more nimble, and dare l say better quality strikers, and that's where Shane traditionally struggles.

Hopefully those praising him to the rooftops now
Won’t be castigating him in equal measure when that happens

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shane was always fully functional on the pitch in the Dunk-Duffy combo, even while he was a complete social media car-crash off the pitch. Shane Duffy is who he his, manager has to er, MANAGE that. His partnership with Lewis Dunk was just casually tossed aside like it didn't matter, by a rookie manager completely out of his depth. Arguably cost the club a few league places = a couple of million quid last season.

Same with Andone. If Potter wasn't so super-keen to get rid of the player, he'd have an oven-ready replacement for an injured Maupay. Probably a better option also. Then we'd have an equally gormless 'Why has Florin Andone's return gone so well?' thread. Potter doesn't seem to relish having players with strong personalites around the club. Or maybe that's one for next term of his EPL Management For Dummies course

Strangely, we had the joint 7th best defence in the EPL last season with just 46 goals conceded. The Dunk-Webster-White combo seemingly an improvement on:

2019/20 - 54
2018/19 - 60
2017/18 - 54

So Potter got it right.

Whilst Duffy has come back a new player, totally focused on his EPL opportunities here.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Strangely, we had the joint 7th best defence in the EPL last season with just 46 goals conceded. The Dunk-Webster-White combo seemingly an improvement on:

2019/20 - 54
2018/19 - 60
2017/18 - 54

So Potter got it right.

Whilst Duffy has come back a new player, totally focused on his EPL opportunities here.

Think a few on here too quick to dismiss BW s part in that miserliness
RS also a massive part of the post Xmas improvement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here