Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why has Shane Duffy's return gone so well?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think Potter wants him in.

We don't have cup games or obvious fixture pile ups. Webby is getting back to fitness.

We'll move him on in the summer I think

That's a big big call, Potter welcomed him back with open arms at the beginning of the season after his disasterous loan spell at Celtic, and by and large he has done pretty well since, excelling in some games earlier in the season.

Nothing that l have seen has suggested to me that Potter doesn't rate him. I hope you are wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Potter wants him in.
We don't have cup games or obvious fixture pile ups. Webby is getting back to fitness.
We'll move him on in the summer I think

That's a big big call, Potter welcomed him back with open arms at the beginning of the season after his disasterous loan spell at Celtic, and by and large he has done pretty well since, excelling in some games earlier in the season.
Nothing that l have seen has suggested to me that Potter doesn't rate him. I hope you are wrong.
Surely a lot must hinge on what the club decides to do with the likes of Van Hecke, Clarke, Ostigard and Roberts next season? Assuming we'll have Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Cucu (although I don't like using him as a CB, even in a three) we'd need one or two more bodies in our CB squad. Duffy and one of the four loanees/youngsters I listed, or two of the latter? Either way, I can't see us going out and buying a PL ready CB.

Also,, when does Duffy's contract end? - I guess that will also be a consideration.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Surely a lot must hinge on what the club decides to do with the likes of Van Hecke, Clarke, Ostigard and Roberts next season? Assuming we'll have Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Cucu (although I don't like using him as a CB, even in a three) we'd need one or two more bodies in our CB squad. Duffy and one of the four loanees/youngsters I listed, or two of the latter? Eiter way, I can't see us going out and buying a PL ready CB.

Also,, when does Duffy's contract end - I guess that will also be a consideration.

I think it's end of next season and we will be looking to get something for him.

My view is that we should have 5 centre backs, So Dunk, Webby, Veltman and two others, (either 2 of the young loanees you mentioned or 1 of them and one new signing)

But my guess is we'll bring one loanee back, I think Van Hecke, and sell the others (loan in Roberts case). Cucurella may find himself as a permanent LCB or LB rather than a LWB. For Carabao and dire emergencies, we may keep one of Tsongui or Turns who may occupy a similar "role" to the one Roberts has this season.

It's not what I would do. Just a prediction.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it's end of next season and we will be looking to get something for him.

My view is that we should have 5 centre backs, So Dunk, Webby, Veltman and two others, (either 2 of the young loanees you mentioned or 1 of them and one new signing)

But my guess is we'll bring one loanee back, I think Van Hecke, and sell the others (loan in Roberts case). Cucurella may find himself as a permanent LCB or LB rather than a LWB. For Carabao and dire emergencies, we may keep one of Tsongui or Turns who may occupy a similar "role" to the one Roberts has this season.

It's not what I would do. Just a prediction.
Steve Bruce wants to keep Matt Clarke at West Brom. for another season. He's contracted to us until 2023, so we might be able to extract a small fee fror him (Championship clubs are still pretty skint) but I've got a sneaking feeling he might be back here next season, probably as a back up, because he is a left sided CB - and we're a bit short of them! The other obvious LCB is Roberts who, IMHO, really needs to go out on a better loan than the last one (which wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either). A season with Matt Clarke at the Albion might just be worth more than any fee we might get for him.

PS I think Turns - and particularly Tsongui - are excellent prospects, and I wouldn't mind seeing either of them getting some time in the cups, if not quite the league as yet. Exciting as that would be, good loans are needed for both next season. Again, only IMHO of course.

PPS It's not a prediction - only what I would do! :wink:

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Baffled as why anyone thinks Potter wants Duffy. He hasn't all season. He only played at the start because of injuries, and was hard to drop as our results then were so good.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He only played at the start because of injuries, and was hard to drop as our results then were so good.

P18 W6 D7 L5 Pts25

Team
P31 W8 D13 L10 Pts37

So - played in 58% of the games, which generated 68% of our points and 75% of our wins. Maybe there's actually a connection? Don't know - I prefer the team dynamics without Duffy, but there must be something in the stats.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
P18 W6 D7 L5 Pts25

Team
P31 W8 D13 L10 Pts37

So - played in 58% of the games, which generated 68% of our points and 75% of our wins. Maybe there's actually a connection? Don't know - I prefer the team dynamics without Duffy, but there must be something in the stats.

is data

2.6+/-0.7 is bigger than 1.2+/-0.6, P<0.05 (unpaired t test)

is statistics

versus Norwich, Bumley Watford (etc) and versus Liverpool, Citeh, Chelski (etc) are confounds
Lamptey out, Webster out, Bissouma out to lunch, are more confounds
Where we are already, weather, luck, are other confounds

And that, me heartys, is piracy (or pirating, which is a more inclusive concept) today. Ah har! Shiver me timbers.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

is data

2.6+/-0.7 is bigger than 1.2+/-0.6, P<0.05 (unpaired t test)

is statistics

versus Norwich, Bumley Watford (etc) and versus Liverpool, Citeh, Chelski (etc) are confounds
Lamptey out, Webster out, Bissouma out to lunch, are more confounds
Where we are already, weather, luck, are other confounds

And that, me heartys, is piracy (or pirating, which is a more inclusive concept) today. Ah har! Shiver me timbers.

Thanks HWT. Don't profess to fully understand all that exactly. But you're right, pure stats only tell part of the story!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was surprised to see Burn sold before Duffy as Potter has expressed his thoughts on Burn several times

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It hasn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t think Potter had any option but to welcome him with open arms; he wasn’t going anywhere after his Celtic debacle.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I noticed against Arsenal that Offiah (who has been around the squad and on the bench recently) was on the bench in front of Shane, and still only at 19.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I noticed against Arsenal that Offiah (who has been around the squad and on the bench recently) was on the bench in front of Shane, and still only at 19.
I know Wiki lists him as a CB, but he played RB in all the U23 matches he played in this season - Turns and Tsongui were the (very good) CB pairing, and when Tsongui got injured Dendocker or Roberts replaced him, not Offiah - and Webster was our CB bench-warmer against Arsenal. Offiah is fast - looks more like a RB than a CB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here