Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many plastic fans around?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm sure there's a good reson why u support the Albion - I'd guess at family etc

I supported Chelsea as a young kid but started watching the Albion in the early 70's, By the time I got into my teens the Albion were on a great run to div 1 and I was there to see it and they become my team.

If I supported my local team to where I was born I'd be trotting of to Dagenham & Redbridge every other week.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Rubbish - It doesn't matter what league a team plays, you should support your local team to where you're born / family is from - It shouldn't be a choice in my opinion.

Also had a bloke and his son laughing saying that Albion play rubbish football etc and 'who are they gonna put in the stadium' blah blah blah. Really riled me as he was talking (in his Southern accent) about Man U like he was a real fan. Really riles me when a) people glory support but most of all b) when people take the piss out of you for supporting your local team / having a shit ground / playing 'shit' football. Anyone could turn round and decide they're a Man U / Chelsea 'fan' - it's not being a fan atall in my book. Football isn't just about what standard your team plays, it's about representing your town / county too in our case...

I dont like plastics either Sheebo but we do live in a free country. People will want to watch the best football and to be honest there are very few Prem fans who have NEVER been to a game

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i can remember at school (half a mile from the goldstone) in the 1970's...all the kids taking the piss out of me cos i supported brighton.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I dont like plastics either Sheebo but we do live in a free country. People will want to watch the best football and to be honest there are very few Prem fans who have NEVER been to a game

Yeh I know what u mean - i didn't mean that like a hitler rule :lolol: I just mean when football first started if every Dad / Mum had a team being there local and passed it on to their kids we wouldn't have this problem - obviously that's a mental thought! I've got loads of mates who are (apparently) Man U, Chels, Arse etc fans and don't get me wrong I don't bother going into this argument with them BUT if any of them ever do have a pop at Albion I do get annoyed (doesn't happen that much as they do respect i'm an actual fan who goes to regular games etc.). I've got 1000 times more respect for a Palace fan from South London than I have a Man U fan from Sussex, regardless of what games they attend.

The level of football really shouldn't matter when u think of it. We've played top flight before and bottom flight before - as have most clubs...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Doesn't being a 'fan' simply mean you are very enthusiastic about someone or something? In other words, it's about your disposition or attitude to whatever it is rather than the number of times you've experienced them in the flesh.

My favourite band of all time is Steely Dan - I've only ever seen them once live. But I would say I'm more of a fan of them than, say, some local bands who I will have seen dozens of times, simply because I like them more. There are Albion fans that, for whatever reason, do not live in the local area of the club and may not see them as frequently as they would like. It doesn't make them less of a fan as long as the club are close to their heart.

The people who like Manchester United and Chelsea intensely but have never been to a game are fans - I just wouldn't class them as supporters.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Doesn't being a 'fan' simply mean you are very enthusiastic about someone or something? In other words, it's about your disposition or attitude to whatever it is rather than the number of times you've experienced them in the flesh.

My favourite band of all time is Steely Dan - I've only ever seen them once live. But I would say I'm more of a fan of them than, say, some local bands who I will have seen dozens of times, simply because I like them more. There are Albion fans that, for whatever reason, do not live in the local area of the club and may not see them as frequently as they would like. It doesn't make them less of a fan as long as the club are close to their heart.

The people who like Manchester United and Chelsea intensely but have never been to a game are fans - I just wouldn't class them as supporters.

Yep you're right - the thing is fans / supporters are somewhat loosely thrown around in conversation 'I'm a Man U fan' 'who do you support' etc etc

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Chelseas, Liverpools, how many of these clubs are there?

I have NEVER understood this pluralism in reference to teams:

'Let's see how Blackpool get on when they play the Chelseas, Arsenals and Liverpools of this world'

What the f*** are you on about you MOUTH SPASTIC?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The Heath pub in H.H has 3D television and there were all these muppets wearing glasses to watch Man.Utd/Rangers the other night!

I've heard that 3D television is brilliant when watching football. I bet they enjoyed it in the Heath that night, especially when the net bulged...

Er, perhaps not...

:p

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What level club does one have to shun to become a plastic? I am sure a large percentage of our crowd have turned their backs on their local clubs (Worthing, Lewes etc) to support Brighton.

However, they are actively supporting a localish club rather than the instant success fans that can watch an entire season through the goggle box and buy the gear at a fraction of the price than 'proper' fans pay following their own team.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It was no different 40 years ago really, except it was not considered cool to wear a top from whatever team you supported. Most kids I was at school with followed one of the big boys but wheren`t so vociferous in those days because you couldn`t see them on the tv each week.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What level club does one have to shun to become a plastic? I am sure a large percentage of our crowd have turned their backs on their local clubs (Worthing, Lewes etc) to support Brighton.

However, they are actively supporting a localish club rather than the instant success fans that can watch an entire season through the goggle box and buy the gear at a fraction of the price than 'proper' fans pay following their own team.

I thought the general unwritten rule (quite obviously!) was local professional club.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's not get too in depth about this and start arguing amongst ourselves - the fact is there are a massive ammount of armchair premiershite fans who have no reason atall to support who they do... and aren't fit to tie our laces :lolol:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Rubbish - It doesn't matter what league a team plays, you should support your local team to where you're born / family is from - It shouldn't be a choice in my opinion.

Also had a bloke and his son laughing saying that Albion play rubbish football etc and 'who are they gonna put in the stadium' blah blah blah. Really riled me as he was talking (in his Southern accent) about Man U like he was a real fan. Really riles me when a) people glory support but most of all b) when people take the piss out of you for supporting your local team / having a shit ground / playing 'shit' football. Anyone could turn round and decide they're a Man U / Chelsea 'fan' - it's not being a fan atall in my book. Football isn't just about what standard your team plays, it's about representing your town / county too in our case...

Correct you support your local team. I was born in Brighton and would not and could not support anyone else, and when people who where born and live in this area take the piss out of Brighton and go and support premiership clubs, first word that comes in to my mind is traitor end of.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I must admit to having a Wolves shirt around '69 and an Ajax shirt around '72, but the old boy did the right thing and wedged me down the front in The Chicken Run, and now, some forty years later, there is only one team for moi :albion2:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I must admit to having a Wolves shirt around '69 and an Ajax shirt around '72, but the old boy did the right thing and wedged me down the front in The Chicken Run, and now, some forty years later, there is only one team for moi :albion2:

But those were great, dapper shirts though! :thumbsup:

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
It's like last season i went up to the Tranmere game and everyone up there was speaking scouse and it irritated the f*** out of me!

I couldn't believe why a southerner would support Liverpool!

I think the so called fans of these premiershite teams should spend a week in the City they play in then they might choose differently!

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I've never lived in Brighton and was'nt even born in Sussex.

I was born in the West Country, and followed Villa as a kid (only saw them twice). When I moved to Sussex 20 years ago, I felt it really important to support the local team, and spending many years since going to watch Brighton (mainly strugging) has been fantastic!

I'm not sure it matters where you are from originally, but more about building a bond with the local team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here