Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many plastic fans around?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My local female hairdresser, she of the delicate tit-nudge, tells me her son supports Arsenal. I told her that living near to Brighton he should support Albion.

But when you go into the local £ shop here and they have a row of stick-on badges, for ManUre, Liverbirds, Arse, Chelski, Totteringham, Man Spitty and CHARLTON ATHLETIC ffs>>>>>>:tantrum:

One of the funniest things, I thought, and a sign of the times, was when I went into Woolworths on Western Road and saw that they had football calendars on offer. They were all half price and they were all WIGAN ATHLETIC. The power of the premiership eh? Hardly surprising they went bust.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
One of the funniest things, I thought, and a sign of the times, was when I went into Woolworths on Western Road and saw that they had football calendars on offer. They were all half price and they were all WIGAN ATHLETIC. The power of the premiership eh? Hardly surprising they went bust.

were they from 2008...???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm from HEATHFIELD and the kiddy is from EASTBOURNE! :facepalm: That's another thing I get sometimes and when I point out that I'm from exactly the same town as them or the same county it seems to stump them!

Should have called him a Granny raper.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
When people slate the Albion who clearly know nothing about football that is what really winds me up. When I mention Brighton to people they just laugh. Thing is these people have never been to a proper bloody football match in their life.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On expenses, or on corporates...

And some, judging by what some 'real' Chelsea fans say, are tourists. In the old days the Japanese or whoever would go to the West End and take in a musical; it was part of the 'London Experience'. Nowadays they're just as likely to go to Stamford Bridge for an 'English premier league football experience'.

Do they qualify as 'plastics' I wonder? Little Akira has supported Chelsea from his Tokyo bedroom for the last six years and now he gets the chance to see his heroes on the flesh. And on another point (probably for another thread) - is this football tourism good or bad for football?

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Surely the reason 'plastic' fans end up 'supporting' a premiership team is because they like football and the premiership teams have the highest profile and see them splashed all over the tv. If they dont have any particular reason (such as a parent) to support a lower profile club they probably wont.

In the same way people who like films will go and watch the latest blockbuster at the cinema because they have seen the adverts and have big name actors in them. To some people football is about entertainment not supporting a team through thick and thin.

I come from a rugby family so my dad didnt pass on his allegiance to anyone when I was a kid. I grew up supporting Arsenal because they were on the tv and my cousin supported them (He is now a Plymouth fan, his local team). I started following Brighton when I met mates who went and fancied seeing a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here