Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you noticed Brighton have more demand for tickets for the Semi Finals of the FA cup than the 3rd round? It seems pretty normal to be less fussed about the early stages of cup competition.
The JCL brigade will always rock up for a BDO once we get to the sharp end of something, that is true.

I find I'm always interested in watching England though. I'm invested in it, I'd just love to see us win a tournament once in my lifetime. So the notion of not bothering watching us in a World Cup is something I can't really relate to. We're all different though I suppose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
adidasAthleticGermany
AlgorandCryptocurrencyUS
BudweiserBeerUS
Byju'sOther educationIndia
ClaroMobile phone operatorsMexico
Coca-ColaSoft drinksUS
Crypto.comCryptocurrencySingapore
Frito-LaySnacksUS, Mexico
Gulf Warehousing CompanyDelivery and shippingQatar
HisenseConsumer electronicsChina
HublotWatchesSwitzerland
Hyundai; KiaCarsSouth Korea
McDonald'sQuick service restaurant and fast foodUS
MengniuDairy and soy foodChina
NubankBankingBrazil
OoredooTelecommunications operatorsQatar
Qatar AirwaysAirlinesQatar
Qatar National BankBankingQatar
QatarEnergyEnergy and utilitiesQatar
The Look CompanyAdvertising, PR and sponsorship agenciesQatar

There's the list of corporate sponsors happy to support the "Bloody World Cup".
Just need to change one car and one telly, and I'm ready (y)

BBBOOOOooooo

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
adidasAthleticGermany
AlgorandCryptocurrencyUS
BudweiserBeerUS
Byju'sOther educationIndia
ClaroMobile phone operatorsMexico
Coca-ColaSoft drinksUS
Crypto.comCryptocurrencySingapore
Frito-LaySnacksUS, Mexico
Gulf Warehousing CompanyDelivery and shippingQatar
HisenseConsumer electronicsChina
HublotWatchesSwitzerland
Hyundai; KiaCarsSouth Korea
McDonald'sQuick service restaurant and fast foodUS
MengniuDairy and soy foodChina
NubankBankingBrazil
OoredooTelecommunications operatorsQatar
Qatar AirwaysAirlinesQatar
Qatar National BankBankingQatar
QatarEnergyEnergy and utilitiesQatar
The Look CompanyAdvertising, PR and sponsorship agenciesQatar

There's the list of corporate sponsors happy to support the "Bloody World Cup".
You’re missing Visa

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Quatar earned the right to stage by questionable means. They have an abhorrent record on human rights, Gay relationships are illegal. I will not be watching any matches in this year’s competition 🌈⚽⚽🌈
Agree theyre totally aborhent, but in true whataboutism!.......... any less than Saudia where lots of professional fights have happened?
Did you watch 2018 in Russia where homosexuality is ridiculed and marginalised, where human rights also mean nothing, state assasinations are rampant and a genocide is now being commited against innocents....... Ever holidayed in Dubai, watch the cricket or Tennis masters when a round was in a middle east country, The Bahrain, Abu Dhabi grand prix maybe....... missed the season finale last year as UAE kidnaps its citizens and has primitive ideas on sexual equality?

My point is the worlds a bad place and that whole region has medieval out dated ideas, so the artificial moral line drawn is for your own satisfation but doesnt change anything? is it truly impartial versus all of the above? unfortunately it all means little outside of personal protest.

Societal change, nor fallen workers, wont come back by not turning on the TV unfortunately, only by enagement and educating the Qataris (and others in middle east), which will come by western examples and voices, by building bridges to try and influence these outdated & primitive ideas.

I dont like the Qataris attitudes in many areas, they need to move their attitutudes into 21st century inclusiveness, but I will be cheering on England football players, against other nations players on a piece of grass on a football field on the Telly.

and I dare say If England get to the final, so will you!

P.S be careful to switch off the next time you see Messi in his PSG shirt.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Strange one as my interest in England has never been lower. I really dislike Southgate and his tactics - pretty much to the point of not wanting us to win. I'm sure that will cause the GBeebies crew to send me on correctional courses or be burnt as a witch/traitor. But given the quality of football other teams will play, it would be a travesty for me if we ground our way to winning it via poor opponents and Kane rolling around a lot. Throw in the Qatar thing and my interest in a major international championship has never been this low either. We have a setup in the office so will have it on but it will be the equivalent of the women's rugby league or Solheim Cup - a passing interest should it be on in the background.

Contrast that to 1990 or 1996 when it was massive. I can't fully put my finger on what makes me so anti the team but I'm not faking enjoying it for the sake of it. I will be genuinely more interested in the Ecuador games to see our lads. Before the usual suspects start, it isn't some leftie/trendy hating of all things English - I was/am fully behind the ladies team, the cricket team, the current rugby teams and all other national teams. But the England football team leaves me so cold with apathy. Get me an exciting manager and likeable players and I will be back on the bandwagon.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Strange one as my interest in England has never been lower. I really dislike Southgate and his tactics - pretty much to the point of not wanting us to win. I'm sure that will cause the GBeebies crew to send me on correctional courses or be burnt as a witch/traitor. But given the quality of football other teams will play, it would be a travesty for me if we ground our way to winning it via poor opponents and Kane rolling around a lot. Throw in the Qatar thing and my interest in a major international championship has never been this low either. We have a setup in the office so will have it on but it will be the equivalent of the women's rugby league or Solheim Cup - a passing interest should it be on in the background.

Contrast that to 1990 or 1996 when it was massive. I can't fully put my finger on what makes me so anti the team but I'm not faking enjoying it for the sake of it. I will be genuinely more interested in the Ecuador games to see our lads. Before the usual suspects start, it isn't some leftie/trendy hating of all things English - I was/am fully behind the ladies team, the cricket team, the current rugby teams and all other national teams. But the England football team leaves me so cold with apathy. Get me an exciting manager and likeable players and I will be back on the bandwagon.
totally concur on Southgate, this tactic-less fraud getting the flick would be one upside. Cant imagine he will be able to 5-4-1 his bus all the way to the word cup final.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'll watch the game but we won't be showing it in our pubs. Which means we will obviously make less money than we would if we did. I think it's worth it. Watching it, fine. Making money out if it, I'm not so sure.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Fortunately going on holiday next weekend for 3 weeks and won't be watching any telly or mobile devices for 3 weeks - bliss. I may see the Final when we return but am pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. Genuinely couldn't care less.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am so torn, I know that ethically and morally I should not, I mean after yesterdays comment "Because it is damage in the mind." when asked about homosexuality.....
disgraceful comments, and show what the country and religion up for what it really is...

That and the comments about other counties should stop belittling the world cup in Qatar, Qatar's foreign minister said Sunday that Western criticism of the country ahead of the World Cup is “arrogant” and “racist,”

Errrr.... No we are not arrogant and racist, we are appalled at your human rights record, migrant worker deaths, your backward stance on sexual orientation... utter bollox

However I do love football, and there is usually nothing better than watching the best players in the world competing in some wonderful games, I really want us to tonk Iran, Wales and the USA, just because....
I am not a fan of Southgate and he fecked up the two best opportunities we probably will get in a long time, so inept at reading and adapting to situations during the game.

I will also probably watch in the hope there are some demonstrations by very brave souls whilst out there.
An over zealous reaction from the Qatar authorities and the world cup called off midway through would be magnificent.

I want it to fail so bad, and I don't give a feck how far we get, I wish we were not there and had some bollox.

As soon as the world cup is over the press will be all over it, with how badly this or that went, but will only do it upon their return out of fear and making sure they get comped everywhere first, cowards.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The JCL brigade will always rock up for a BDO once we get to the sharp end of something, that is true.

I find I'm always interested in watching England though. I'm invested in it, I'd just love to see us win a tournament once in my lifetime. So the notion of not bothering watching us in a World Cup is something I can't really relate to. We're all different though I suppose.
I am pleased for you, I just can't get excited about the England side, it isn't so much about winning as playing in a way I can be proud of, unfortunately players like Kane, buying a foul just embarrass me.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Quatar earned the right to stage by questionable means. They have an abhorrent record on human rights, Gay relationships are illegal. I will not be watching any matches in this year’s competition 🌈⚽⚽🌈

I will restrict myself to highlights... (a wishy washy compromise)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Will watch some, not many.

If England start to win, I’ll probably jump on the bandwagon.

Hope Southgate fails though and Potter takes over

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I am so torn, I know that ethically and morally I should not, I mean after yesterdays comment "Because it is damage in the mind." when asked about homosexuality.....
disgraceful comments, and show what the country and religion up for what it really is...

That and the comments about other counties should stop belittling the world cup in Qatar, Qatar's foreign minister said Sunday that Western criticism of the country ahead of the World Cup is “arrogant” and “racist,”

Errrr.... No we are not arrogant and racist, we are appalled at your human rights record, migrant worker deaths, your backward stance on sexual orientation... utter bollox

However I do love football, and there is usually nothing better than watching the best players in the world competing in some wonderful games, I really want us to tonk Iran, Wales and the USA, just because....
I am not a fan of Southgate and he fecked up the two best opportunities we probably will get in a long time, so inept at reading and adapting to situations during the game.

I will also probably watch in the hope there are some demonstrations by very brave souls whilst out there.
An over zealous reaction from the Qatar authorities and the world cup called off midway through would be magnificent.

I want it to fail so bad, and I don't give a feck how far we get, I wish we were not there and had some bollox.

As soon as the world cup is over the press will be all over it, with how badly this or that went, but will only do it upon their return out of fear and making sure they get comped everywhere first, cowards.
How many died because of our illegal invasion of Iraq or our futile occupation of Afghanistan? Or the thousands we left stranded either to the mercy of the Taliban and those who did make it only only to risk their lives for sanctuary here only to be labelled illegal invaders to be deported to Rwanda? We are the last people to be lecturing others when it comes to human rights

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's a World Cup, it only comes along every 4 years and although I disagree with it being in Qatar - it IS there. It is a World Cup, they're all different in their own ways. I'm excited for it!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How many died because of our illegal invasion of Iraq or our futile occupation of Afghanistan? Or the thousands we left stranded either to the mercy of the Taliban and those who did make it only only to risk their lives for sanctuary here only to be labelled illegal invaders to be deported to Rwanda? We are the last people to be lecturing others when it comes to human rights
good and valid point, two wrongs don't make a right though, or do they ?

At least in this country people were allowed and did protest against the war, unfortunately leaders like Blair and those that followed did not listen. We don't run and rule the population based on an archaic fabricated and much altered story anymore.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I won't be watching it.

I find it difficult. I watched some of Russia. I watch the Premier League. I use Twitter. I watch Disney.

All of these things have some involvement from unpleasant petro-states with questionable attitudes. But you can only take a stand against so much, right?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I feel no excitement for this world cup. I'll watch the England games and maybe Ecuador, but I'll not watch anything else. Also, I know it is only small and insignificant, but I have been avoiding the purchase of any world cup branded items, although I have not gone as far as boycotting the sponsors in totality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here