Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am pleased for you, I just can't get excited about the England side, it isn't so much about winning as playing in a way I can be proud of, unfortunately players like Kane, buying a foul just embarrass me.
I don't think BHA players are as pure as the driven snow in this respect. EVERY professional at every level buys a foul at some point or other, I can guarantee any one of us can easily recite an Albion example. But when its the England captain, it gathers more traction of course. My view of Kane is quite jaundiced from when he "made a back" for one of our players in a Boxing Day game up there a couple of years ago, yet somehow won a pen for it.

However. If he slams in a 20-yarder into the top corner against Argentina in a semi final, I'm going to go absolutely APESHIT. If that makes me a hypocrite then so be it. But its England. Its a World Cup. I can easily put club issues aside for a month, because I just want to see us WIN.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
How many died because of our illegal invasion of Iraq or our futile occupation of Afghanistan? Or the thousands we left stranded either to the mercy of the Taliban and those who did make it only only to risk their lives for sanctuary here only to be labelled illegal invaders to be deported to Rwanda? We are the last people to be lecturing others when it comes to human rights
Ummmmm........no, not really.

If you are gay, bi, trans etc in UK - you have human rights
If you are muslim, jewish, christian, seikh, buddhist, atheist, pagan, hindhu or any other religion or none - you have human rights
If you are male, female or identify as any other - you have human rights
Whether you are rich or poor - you have human rights

We have universal suffrage. We all get a vote. One each.

So not the same at all really is it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If you are muslim, jewish, christian, seikh, buddhist, atheist, pagan, hindhu or any other religion or none - you have human rights

Although Rishi is looking to amend equality rights to exclude trans people

So we are heading backwards if that comes to fruition

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I won't be watching it. I'm gay and by circumstance of where I was born I'm not in constant fear of that knock on the door for just being who I am, unlike those in Qatar. Will it make a blind bit of difference? No, but I'm happy with my decision and that's all I can affect. Did I watch Russia 2018? I did, but I'm older, hopefully wiser and more politically aware and engaged than back then, so whilst I can do nothing about my decisions in the past, doesn't mean I can't take a stand now.

I don't have an issue with people watching it though. My mates and I have talked a lot about it recently in the pub and it's an even split between those who will and won't watch it. I just can't understand how anyone can get enjoyment of watching a spectacle that's built on the blood and bodies of 2000-6500 (depending on your source) immigrant workers. Again, each to their own though.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I've got absolutely no interest whatsoever in a disgusting World Cup that should have been taken away from Qatar. I will probably watch the England matches but no one else. No betting at all on the tournament (I think Argentina will win it, 7/1).

As for my football fix, something like King's Lynn v Stevenage in the FA Cup 2nd round on ITV4 or the BBC red button. Nobody died making the K.L stadium, did they? :mad:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Agreed. No we're not perfect. We've behaved badly in the past and we're still making mistakes now. But as a society and a nation we are STREETS ahead of places like Qatar when it comes to human rights. Streets ahead. So yes we have every right to criticise Qatar, and the more they protest at our 'racism' the more we should criticise them.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
adidasAthleticGermany
AlgorandCryptocurrencyUS
BudweiserBeerUS
Byju'sOther educationIndia
ClaroMobile phone operatorsMexico
Coca-ColaSoft drinksUS
Crypto.comCryptocurrencySingapore
Frito-LaySnacksUS, Mexico
Gulf Warehousing CompanyDelivery and shippingQatar
HisenseConsumer electronicsChina
HublotWatchesSwitzerland
Hyundai; KiaCarsSouth Korea
McDonald'sQuick service restaurant and fast foodUS
MengniuDairy and soy foodChina
NubankBankingBrazil
OoredooTelecommunications operatorsQatar
Qatar AirwaysAirlinesQatar
Qatar National BankBankingQatar
QatarEnergyEnergy and utilitiesQatar
The Look CompanyAdvertising, PR and sponsorship agenciesQatar

There's the list of corporate sponsors happy to support the "Bloody World Cup".
Now that is a useful list. Whether I watch the multitude of boring games in the early stages, or the ultimately embarrassing performances of the team led by one of the biggest cheats in the game, England, makes little difference.

I shall do my best to avoid any of those companies listed....and encourage others to do the same.

That list should be bounced every single day.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s still a World Cup. Three/four matches a day of pure football joy. I’ll have them all on, but play Football Manager during the games I’m not excited about, glancing up when there are chances/excitement.

In no way does this downplay my disgust at the tournament being in Qatar, my distaste for FIFA, or the horrible circumstances in which the games are to be played.

Watching the tournament doesn’t make me hate everything about the organisation, the country‘s backward views and the innocent migrant workers who died any less.

Guilty, no. Conscious of it constantly, yes. It’s still the biggest tournament in football and I’m not going to spite myself by boycotting it.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Can't see any point in turning head away / blocking ears. That will achieve nothing.
I can't get away from the argument that by being hosted by a medieval state the spotlight it is under will surely bring about some change towards civilisation.
If it was hosted elsewhere then there would be no protest and Qatar would continue unchallenged in its ways. How can this not be seen as a positive.
Ridiculous protest to look away...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Ye. Just like they probably watch a Newcastle or City game every now and then. Just morbid interest...
I watch those games in the hopes that Citeh or Newcastle will lose.

It has been MOST unsatisfying lately.

I'd love to say I won't watch the world Cup. And I am genuinely not that bothered about England. But Ecuador or Ghana start doing well and all bets are off.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can't see any point in turning head away / blocking ears. That will achieve nothing.
I can't get away from the argument that by being hosted by a medieval state the spotlight it is under will surely bring about some change towards civilisation.
If it was hosted elsewhere then there would be no protest and Qatar would continue unchallenged in its ways. How can this not be seen as a positive.
I agree with you that this is a golden opportunity to draw attention to Qatars abhorrent ways.

The list of supporting companies should be highlighted and avoided as much as possible.

Anyone actually going to Qatar should hang their head in shame. You are the greatest obstacle to showing the worlds distaste at this countries regime. A regime that treats homo-sexuality as a crime punishable at times with death. A regime that has little or no respect for 50 per cent of the worlds population ( females ). A country where a foreigners life is worthless. Absolutely disgusting, that any football supporter would actually go there.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Aside from not liking Southagte, my apathy toward the tournament at present is largely due to it not being a summer world cup and completely messing up the football season as a result. A world cup in the run up to Christmas? What a load of bollocks.

Reactions: cjd

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Aside from not liking Southagte, my apathy toward the tournament at present is largely due to it not being a summer world cup and completely messing up the football season as a result. A world cup in the run up to Christmas? What a load of bollocks.

Sums it up, Ill watch it but I am not sure it will be any good and ruining the football season.

The after affects on players after this should be fun as they all get injured.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's going to be really, really difficult but I'll try not to watch any of it.

It's futile, and ultimately it'll make no difference, but I'll feel like I'm not letting my gay/trans friends down. So yeah.

If we progress to the knockout stages I'm going to find it so hard but I think I can manage with enough distractions.

Reactions: cjd

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Genuinely interested if those abstaining also abstain from our matches against City, Newcastle etc. etc. for the same reasons?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I will tune in at first but I am anticipating getting quite bored early on

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Should really think about the language you use. Its not ridiculous, people have highlighted genuine conscientious reasons for not watching. You can disagree with them, but accept that we think differently to you, rather than be incendiary about it.

There's no positive in highlighting the tournament being in Qatar in relation to changing their laws, as it won't change Qatar's law on homosexuality, as it's tied up in the sharia law they govern under. You can already see our Government, in the form of Cleverley's statement, and FIFA's 'focus on the football' statement pandering to the regime, that politically, no pressure will come from that direction. Will a few hundred thousands people not watching make a difference? I doubt it, but then sitting back and meekly going along with it doesn't sit well with me either, so I've taken the decision not to watch it for the reasons I highlighted in my previous post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here