Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was the first band you saw live.?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My parents took me to see Cliff Richards and the Shadows in Helsinki when I was 6. The first band I paid to see live was Led Zeppelin at Earls Court in 1975 when I was 16.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to go up to that flat and watch the Cricket. She drove a VW Sirocco and I remember them together. It ended badly.......

It always ends badly with her, sadly. Last time I saw her was 13 years ago, and she had a 6 year old, but was 'estranged' from tha father, who's 20 years her junior. Last I heard she caused a kerfuffle at my ex wife's wedding, had to be taken home, and nobody wanted to talk to her after that. Demon drink. Three bottles of wine in one sitting is not a good plan. Great company when sober. Anyway, I hope your brother moved on unscathed :thumbsup:

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Didn't see the band pic referenced above (can you send and I'll tell you who the gal is). Grant is my older brother. Luke Cresswell was the drummer and as you said, off he went to Stomp fame. I went to school with the youngest daughter Taylor. Although they all lived in Woodingdean, they went to Falmer like the rest of us oiks. Sad news on Addison......

Oi, Is that you Michael?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great pic. I remember them winning the local Battle of the Bands in Seaford. That was perhaps the apex of their journey. My brother joined The Promise and they got a recording contract in LA. Went on the 1985/6 World Tour opening for FGTH. When HJ left, they asked my brother to be lead singer but all of the lawsuits and time elapsed meant it never happened, so he formed a band called Low with Brian Nash.

Bloody Hell! Very close to glory....albeit HJ not an easy act to follow. I'll look up Low later.

One of my fave Brighton Bands is The Last Cry. I stumbled on them via nothing to do with Brighton. Turns out the singer is on NSC. Small world.

Anyway - take it easy :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Latest I saw was Tangerine Dream a month or so ago at Chalk. Decent for about forty mins, rather dull afterward.
Nordic Giants before that at Chalk also.

Chalk is a great venue.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My parents took me to see Cliff Richards and the Shadows in Helsinki when I was 6. The first band I paid to see live was Led Zeppelin at Earls Court in 1975 when I was 16.

I was at the Led Zep concert and I still have my original Zeppelin Express poster which I carefully removed from the wall on the way out. I keep meaning to frame it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My dad took me to see The Spinners (English folk group) at the Dome some time in the seventies. First I went to of my own accord was the Pretenders, home town gig in Malvern, 1981.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First one wasn't my choice. Did a French exchange visit to Paris and the family had got me and the French teen tickets to Madonna on the Who's That Girl? tour. She mimed, the police let some tear gas off, it was very, very shit.

After that me and a mate spent a bit of our Lower Sixth year following round local goth band The Last Cry (see, another mention [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] ) but I soon accepted I was in no way a goth. First paid for in a club / gig venue bands would have been either Ocean Colour Scene (before they were Britpop), Flowered Up or Northside at the Zap Club. Saw all three there in the same summer.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
First one wasn't my choice. Did a French exchange visit to Paris and the family had got me and the French teen tickets to Madonna on the Who's That Girl? tour. She mimed, the police let some tear gas off.

I thought watching the scenes in Paris were bad enough at the CL final with the French OB spraying the Liverpool fans, but gassing Madonna for miming is really harsh. :eek:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Latest I saw was Tangerine Dream a month or so ago at Chalk. Decent for about forty mins, rather dull afterward.
Nordic Giants before that at Chalk also.

Chalk is a great venue.

Do you think so? Acoustics ok but the wrong shape for gigs, preferred the Haunt or even the engine rooms, sounds were great in both.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you think so? Acoustics ok but the wrong shape for gigs, preferred the Haunt or even the engine rooms, sounds were great in both.

It is a funny shape. I was thinking more of the bands they have on, they seem to get some great stuff. And also, I find the bar and door staff nice and they run that bar like bosses. But yeah, I suppose it is a bit odd shaped.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm impressed at the clarity of people's memories - Mine was one of Communards, The Wedding Present, Big Country or James in one of Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield or Birmingham in about 1986/87 :D

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If that was the gig with Chris Spedding's Sharks as support, then I was there as well.

:thumbsup:

That's the one. Sharks had Free's Andy Fraser on bass and a singer rejoicing in the name of Snips (who released a decent single called 9 o'clock a few years later)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here