Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was the first band you saw live.?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Am I right in thinking a venue called 66 Club Polytechnic on Lewes Road where I saw several groups in early days

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Am I right in thinking a venue called 66 Club Polytechnic on Lewes Road where I saw several groups in early days

In the early 80s bands played in the old Brighton Polytechnic buildings ( now Brighton university) Lewes Rd opposite The Highway,
There was a basement bar in Grand Parade that had regular bands, think we called it the Art College basement, I’m not sure if this was also part of Brighton Polytechnic back then.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
I was there. If I recall, it was soggy fecking hot. Went outsude afterwards and literally wrung my t-shirt dry on the pavement in West St.

Right up front though, peeing in the empty pints and putting on the stage and all that.

Right, and you think that was just sweat you were wringing out of you t-shirt? :D

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
My first gig was Rod Stewart at the Brighton Centre in the early 1970's when my friends older sister decided she didn't want to go and gave me the ticket.

It's not a very " cool " first gig but I think I quite enjoyed it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Thin Lizzy at Bournemouth Winter Gardens 1978
Fantastic

Incidentally I saw Limehouse Lizzy at Shoreham Ropetackle last year. Also excellent .

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
The Beautiful South '92 at The Event. Annoyingly their Glastonbury set isn't on iplayer yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Marshall Matthers about 25 years ago. I got roped into taking my sister in law who was about 12 at the time. Was quite good though I remember protesters outside for some reason or another.

I presume you mean your wife's sister, as opposed to your brother's wife :eek:

As for MM, I have a weakness for the the little rapping tinker, I must confess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the early 80s bands played in the old Brighton Polytechnic buildings ( now Brighton university) Lewes Rd opposite The Highway,
There was a basement bar in Grand Parade that had regular bands, think we called it the Art College basement, I’m not sure if this was also part of Brighton Polytechnic back then.

It was and there was a discussion (on this thread I think) which included a mention of the bloke who put on the gigs (and made a few quid) but who died quite young :nono:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
either XTC or The Buzzcocks Saw one one week A the other the next around 78 I guess

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It was and there was a discussion (on this thread I think) which included a mention of the bloke who put on the gigs (and made a few quid) but who died quite young :nono:
Addison Cresswell, Lukes brother Went to be very successful Used to do some work for him Good bloke

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Addison Cresswell, Lukes brother Went to be very successful Used to do some work for him Good bloke

Yes. I met him a few times back in the day. Everyone seemed to adore him. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here