Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was the first band you saw live.?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw loads of concerts in Brighton in the early 80s. As you say, usually £5/6 a ticket and you got one just by queuing up at the venue. On line secondary ticket sites have made it far too expensive. I wouldn’t have given a second thought of going to a concert a fortnight back in the day, not now though.

Queuing at the venue, or via the post with a SAE and a cheque!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well that's an opinion and you're probably not wrong however May and Taylor are brilliant and Lambert is a very good vocalist. They're not trying to recreate Queen as it was, it's billed as Queen and Adam Lambert. If you liked their music you would like the concert. Lambert isn't trying to replicate the vocals of Freddie.

Your choice though but I'd suggest you're missing out.

By the way, that Queen concert at the Brighton Centre remains the best I've ever seen of any group.

I saw Queen, just the once, back in the day and am tempted to see Queen plus Lambert. Everyone I know who’s already seen it says similar to you ie it’s a different show but very enjoyable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Lightning Seeds at Portsmouth Guildhall in about 1997 when I was 14/15.

Great gig! Always felt they were under rated.

I saw them a few times, agree about being underrated.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I saw loads of concerts in Brighton in the early 80s. As you say, usually £5/6 a ticket and you got one just by queuing up at the venue. On line secondary ticket sites have made it far too expensive. I wouldn’t have given a second thought of going to a concert a fortnight back in the day, not now though.

That Roxy Music gig I went to was 60p - this was in 1973. Most of the Dome gigs at the time were around that price. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be about £5.30 now. Imagine going to see a band of that stature for a fiver now!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That Roxy Music gig I went to was 60p - this was in 1973. Most of the Dome gigs at the time were around that price. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be about £5.30 now. Imagine going to see a band of that stature for a fiver now!

Gig prices have gone through the roof recently. Apart from the general increase the other thing I have noticed is stadium gigs, which were once cheap due to the volume of punters, now have tiered pricing which means anywhere near the stage is a small fortune. I saw the Stones in Hamburg a decade or so ago and all the pitch seats were the same price, I paid 70 euros to sit near the front. I looked at the recent tour and similar seats were around 600 euros.

I recently bought some tickets for Arcade Fire at the Mercedes Benz Arena (nee the o2) and this had all manner of hospitality packages, early entry add ons, goodie bag add-ons, souvenir ticket add-ons etc etc......as well as the admin fees for the ticket agent. That said, the vast majority of the gigs I go to are in small places, I pay a reasonable fee and they just sell standing tickets in the conventional way.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Who
Dunstable Civic Hall
1969 I think. Must have been just before they left for Woodstock.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

If that was the gig with Chris Spedding's Sharks as support, then I was there as well.

:thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
First "musical act" was Patrick Moore playing the xylophone, supporting Morecambe and Wise at the Chichester Festival Theatre in 1974. He was followed by Mrs Mills on piano.

First "proper" band was Procol Harum in Tunbridge Wells, April 1977 (or to be more technically correct, whoever the hell it was that supported them).

Most recent gig was Iggy Pop, about 11 hours ago...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.....my most recent was Follakzoid in Copenhagen last Friday. Gorillaz tomorrow and just about to buy a ticket for The Soft Moon.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Nine Inch Nails, Skid Row and Guns n' Roses at Wembley Stadium in 1991. Nine Inch Nails opened so I guess they were the first band I saw.

Then a mad flurry of a gazillion gigs in an indie frenzy of sticky-floored pubs with the occasional stadium behemoth before discovering trance and a whole different world of music.

The most recent band that I actually paid to go and see was...erm...I think Bat for Lashes in maybe 2007 or something.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I saw Del Shannon somewhere in Brighton in the sixties. Must’ve been a support band there.
Most recent have been the Silver Street Band at Milverton and the Oxford Philharmonic at Cheltenham.

I’ve aged.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unpaid: a two-piece ‘band’ featuring my mother playing the piano tolerably and singing terribly, and my father playing guitar atrociously and singing appallingly.

Paid: Zep at Knebworth. Actually, that’s not true; I guess the first band was whoever was on first at that gig.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here