Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was/is your favourite ever Albion captain

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
There's a pic somewhere of Nobby yelling at Paul Clark during a game at West Ham. I think it was in one of the John Vinicombe books. ...

This one?

NOBBUS.JPG

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Blimey. What must others players have thought about the physical battle coming up with those two. No one in our squad now like that. Different game. Not that Nobby or Clarky couldn’t play. Horton especially could ..... he played in that really good Luton team as well

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Danny Cullip

I watched Brighton all through the 90's. It was a decade of misery. All through that time, we actually had some talented players, but also a chronic brittleness and lack of winning mentality that went on year after year.

Then Danny arrived and just would not tolerate the losers around him and would not accept the previous level of performance. From that day, going through the motions by players at this club stopped. He demanded total commitment. They were clearly terrified of him. Is that a bad thing? Well only really if you ignore the decade of gutless capitulation that had come before it. We were in desperate need of what he bought to us and i've never seen another player have such a profound effect on an entire club.

Still my favourite player despite the international class players we've had in the last few years

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Blimey. What must others players have thought about the physical battle coming up with those two. No one in our squad now like that. Different game. Not that Nobby or Clarky couldn’t play. Horton especially could ..... he played in that really good Luton team as well

Great penalty taker, too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Danny Cullip

I watched Brighton all through the 90's. It was a decade of misery. All through that time, we actually had some talented players, but also a chronic brittleness and lack of winning mentality that went on year after year.

Then Danny arrived and just would not tolerate the losers around him and would not accept the previous level of performance. From that day, going through the motions by players at this club stopped. He demanded total commitment. They were clearly terrified of him. Is that a bad thing? Well only really if you ignore the decade of gutless capitulation that had come before it. We were in desperate need of what he bought to us and i've never seen another player have such a profound effect on an entire club.

Still my favourite player despite the international class players we've had in the last few years

Well said sir, l absolutely agree.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brian Horton without doubt.

Easy one for me. Nobby ruled the players on the pitch like no other since. He sometimes dragged the team through performances. No one else comes close, not only as a captain but also a player.

I do think we have been soft centred for a while and no way would Nobby of had that. In the ear of the ref so much he got a reputation for it. Others still do it but never saw Bruno do it and sorry to say that was needed at times, we're far too nice, about to change this season I believe with the signing of Lallana.

Foster was often seen moaning at his players as opposed to gelling them, Cullip was good but limited as a player.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nobby just too early for me, saw him play but Fozzie was just iconic. Both spells. Speak to other fans and they don’t remember Lawrenson, Horton, Robbo or even Case. But they all remember Steve Foster. Battling heartbeat of our club and let’s not forget he got in the England World Cup squad too, with a few caps. A true icon and talisman.

Jul 5, 2003
If only everyone replying to this thread could have seen Horton play. He was inspirational. Fozzie led by example but Nobby did that and loads more. He was such a good leader that he could have been man of the match without even touching the ball.
Like somebody said earlier, think of Brighton captains and the first name that springs to mind is Nobby Horton and we've had some great captains over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here