Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was/is your favourite ever Albion captain

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
A choice of two for me, either Danny Wilson who captained the first ever albion team that l watched, back in 1984/85, or in, (slightly), more recent years, Danny Cullip.

I ought to also add the caveat, that they are my favourite Albion captains, not necessarily the best ones.

I picked Danny Cullip. It was that game against Cardiff when we were both chasing the 4th division title where we beat them 1-0 at home (Zamora). Cullip was incredible in that match. I'll never forget what a rock he was. Cardiff had some unbelievable talent for a 4th division team back then with the likes of Danny Gabbidon, Collins, Earnshaw, Kavanagh. We pretty much defended throughout and Cullip was the outstanding man of that match. He defended as if it was a boxing match constantly putting his body on the line.

Charlie

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Nobby Horton - easily

Was a great guy away from the pitch. He used to turn up at some of my school matches on a Wednesday afternoon and offered us advice at ht etc.

There’ll never be another like him

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No disrespect to the others ....but NOBBY NOBBY NOBBY!!!

When I think of football captains his fizzog is always the first thing I see.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Horton. The guy loved playing. Saw him in a game tackle a player near the dugouts. You could hear the wind go out of the guy and he left him in agony, Nobby got up, winked at Mullery and walked off with a smile.:lolol:

I don't know if that's a memory or a dream for me.... that was Nobby down to the ground! :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’m old enough to remember most of the suggestions on here fondly but I still can’t look any further than Bruno. Pure class.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nobby for me by some way. The look on his face when people were shirking their responsibilities.
Not just a shouter and organiser but someone who led by example.
Brilliant footballer who left us too early imo.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Very true. Arguing with so many ref’s decisions and geeing up the team whilst leading by example gave it away

God he could argue with a ref couldn’t he. Loved him.
He was worshipped during those special years. It’s takes someone special to win Supporters Player of the year when your top striker has banged in 36 goals. How special is that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nobby for me by some way. The look on his face when people were shirking their responsibilities.
Not just a shouter and organiser but someone who led by example.
Brilliant footballer who left us too early imo.

There's a pic somewhere of Nobby yelling at Paul Clark during a game at West Ham. I think it was in one of the John Vinicombe books. I couldn't find it but I did stumble across this, which I distinctly remember. That headline didn't tell even half the story ...

NOBBY.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
horton.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here