[Albion] Who was/is your favourite ever Albion captain

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It's a shame that there wasn't wall-to-wall TV coverage of football back in the late 1970s so that younger fans could now see what a great captain and player Nobby Horton was. Hard as nails, the ultimate box-to-box midfield player, a good passer and an inspiring captain who drove the team forward. In the 1979 promotion run-in he moved into the back four at Luton as we ground out a draw, and a couple of games later scored the opening goal to settle any nerves in the decider at Newcastle. And he had a stare that he gave any opponent rash enough to foul him that warned them not to even think of trying it again. As a player, the nearest thing we have had since was Danny Wilson, but I have hopes for Yves Bissouma.

Of course it's age specific, but Brian Horton was brilliant from performance one. Seldom less than inspirational. Also helped to have Wardy at the sharp end. Seen them all but Nobby is the best captain.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a shame that there wasn't wall-to-wall TV coverage of football back in the late 1970s so that younger fans could now see what a great captain and player Nobby Horton was. Hard as nails, the ultimate box-to-box midfield player, a good passer and an inspiring captain who drove the team forward. In the 1979 promotion run-in he moved into the back four at Luton as we ground out a draw, and a couple of games later scored the opening goal to settle any nerves in the decider at Newcastle. And he had a stare that he gave any opponent rash enough to foul him that warned them not to even think of trying it again. As a player, the nearest thing we have had since was Danny Wilson, but I have hopes for Yves Bissouma.

I was too young to really appreciate, but BH was my first and stilL my favourite, it still marks the most successful period in our history . . . . Not for long hopefully

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Got to be Fozzie.
An absolute Icon.

Greer perhaps the most underrated

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Nobby Horton and I’ve seen everyone since him. There have been some great ones but no one led by example as well as Nobby. I’ve put Bruno second and Fozzie third. However, there’s a certain Lewis Dunk who could overtake the lot idc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Foster. Danny C a close second. Dunk coming up the outside lane FAST though!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Nobby Horton. He is the only Albion player I think of as “captain”...(Gordon Greer gets close on that criterion but is obviously not a legend...)

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Horton. The guy loved playing. Saw him in a game tackle a player near the dugouts. You could hear the wind go out of the guy and he left him in agony, Nobby got up, winked at Mullery and walked off with a smile.:lolol:

Jul 7, 2003
Horton - you never forget your first!

Horton was not just a captain but a real leader. Plenty of other who were vocal but the only one who comes close to Nobby would be Bruno.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Horton. He was the penalty taker as well, and even when i was nervous watching he would just casually smash the ball in the centre of the net. No nonsense.
From what i remember, it was a long time ago.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Wish I could've seen Horton play. Sounds like a great leader going by this thread. I'm actually mates with his son Matt. We met out in Ibiza in 2007 both doing a season. Went clubbing loads together. He's a top bloke his son. You won't meet many nicer, grounded people. He never tells anyone who his dad really is either, but after finding out who I supported he had to tell me as long as I kept it quiet out there for him.

I think he was on Blackburn's book as a kid(not 100% sure with that one)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Poll to follow once the nominations are in

Having just read the Argus article about Nobby’s autobiography and his time at the Albion I thought it might be fun to see who is NSC’s favourite captain. We cover such a wide age group on here that I expect there are quite a few who will be nominated.

My gut feeling is that Dunk will win the poll, once posted

For me it has to be Nobby who captained the second best ever squad of Albion players that I have seen. Better for me than the squad that got us promoted to the PL, but that is another argument.

A choice of two for me, either Danny Wilson who captained the first ever albion team that l watched, back in 1984/85, or in, (slightly), more recent years, Danny Cullip.

I ought to also add the caveat, that they are my favourite Albion captains, not necessarily the best ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports