who should england drop in the next test

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who should be dropped

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My suggestion is that we should bring in Trescothick just to win the 1 game the final test as he is by far the best opener in the country. In the same situation we did this years ago with David Shephard and he scored a ton. We then resume normal service and look to the future after we have regained The Ashes.

Mark Ramprekash failed as a young man but now has the experience and is possibly the most consistent batsmen in county cricket which is the only measure that you have on which to pick a batsman.

It worked when they brought back Shepherd and Brian Close so why not now to win The Ashes

Shepherd and Close weren't ill (and I'm not sure Close was much of a success when he was brought back, Shepherd was before my time). Banger is happy enough playing for Somerset, he wants to avoid big, high-pressure games.... and that's decidedly not the last game in an Ashes series.

He'll never play for England again and it's hopeless trying to speculate that he will

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Anyone who thinks Ravi Bopara is a decent England pick should be whacked in the nearest looney bin for their own safety and protection.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
My mum in for Bopara
My 3 year old boy for Bell

Well, they couldn't do any bloody worse!

Seriously, get rid of those two, replace with the two best in form county batsmen who are eligable.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Trott in for Bell, Collingwood to bat at 4. Any more changes to the batting line-up would be too disruptive or a must win game.

The bowlers? I really don't know. Hopefully Freddie is back, can Onions / Anderson be dropped? Should Harmy be retained? Why hasn't Sidebottom been picked, but where does he fit in? Broad keeps his place at number 8?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The bowlers? I really don't know. Hopefully Freddie is back, can Onions / Anderson be dropped? Should Harmy be retained? Why hasn't Sidebottom been picked, but where does he fit in? Broad keeps his place at number 8?

There seems to be a question mark over Anderson's fitness - pity, he's bowled very well this series.

Onions bowls well when the ball's swinging but has little else to offer.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Panesar back for the last test, The Oval can take a bit of spin.

Sidebottom should have played in this game instead of Swann, the selectors got that very wrong.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
We are a moderate Test team, as our ranking shows. We lost the last Ashes series 5-0 and in case any of you have forgotten, we lost 1-0 in the Windies against one the worst teams in their illustrious history.
These centrally contracted players are guaranteed a run in the side, whereas a player was rarely given more than two tests in the past , if he was struggling.
There has been huge reliance on Pietersen ( averaging 100 runs per Test ) and now he's out, others are being exposed. They can't cope with the pressure when the heat is turned up. Ponting knew the tide was turning in the last Test..he said so...and he was right.
You only win at the Oval with high class pace or high class spin...we have neither...( neither do the Aussies, so a draw is strongly favoured )
Strauss has won 3 tosses out of 4 and yet we find ourselves at 1-1 in the series. Had Ponting won 3 out of 4, we would be out of the series already.
I keep watching our players chucking their wickets away with loose shots and I wonder whether they are mentally strong enough to be able to move between 20/20 - 50 overs - and Test Cricket. Some of these guys hardly play any 4 day cricket, which is surely the preparation for Test Cricket.
This current Test is unlikely to reach lunch on the 3rd day.
That is embarrasing and unacceptable in a supposed ' closely contested ' series. As previous posts have suggested, they now have to pick a ' one-off ' side to try and win at the Oval.
I was brought up in an era when Test sides scored at up to 3 an over. It was the highly talented Aussies in the last 15 years, who consciously went out to bully the opposition, score at least 4 an over and wrest the initiative away.
They were good enough to do this.
This England team are not good enough to do this...except when Pietersen is blazing away...they have to dig in..work hard for runs and make the opposition work hard for wickets. They also have to find bowlers, who can bowl line and length regularly. The sight of Harmison, Anderson and Broad pitching short, when a few minutes before, Aussie bowlers had been running through us by pitching the ball up, defied belief.
There is no hope for Harmison ( mentally...not strong enough ) but youth is on the side of Broad and Anderson, so fingers crossed.
What you look for in Test Cricket is character..the ability to regroup, rebuild and not give anything away....here's hoping !

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Get rid of all the sodding SELECTORS & give their jobs to people who actually understand the game; & who might actually pick a half-decent, motivated team in the first place.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
bell possibly certainly bopara he looks shot to bits. but can we make big changes for such a big game? maybe they will jiggle the order a bit, when we write them off they seem to come back as at lords,think we should go with what weve got for now, but rebuild after.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah i would definetely drop Broad. I mean apart from the 6 wickets and half-century what did he do last game?
We should definetely keep Harmy what with his usual one-wicket followed by over after over of doss

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In todays Red Tops Trescothick is just waiting for a phone call and he will consider coming back for just this one game.

Something already ruled out by Geoff Miller
Miller rules out Trescothick call | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

People have always had a go at the selectors but I think that this present bunch is pretty good. They're players who are relatively recently experienced in test match cricket - they seemed to belong to another generation when I was growing up - and they seem to be taking a sensible approach to selection and not picking people for one game and dropping him (Pattinson aside).

Like I've already said, I don't think there will be many changes to this team. Flintoff back and possibly one other change, with another spinner in the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Top post Horney.

Geoff Miller's beginning to worry me. Here's two quotes in separate articles on Cricinfo today:

Trescothick: "No one has spoken to me or said anything to me on the issue," he said. "If I was asked, I don't know. I'm retired. I'm done. If they threw questions at me, I would listen. But until they do I can't answer."

Miller on Trescothick:

"Marcus has many times said he's retired from international cricket, and until I hear contrary to that, he will not be a part of the selection process. He knows where he is, he's really comfortable and playing really, really well, but he's retired from Test cricket so he's not a part of our thoughts at this moment in time."

Isn't it simple? Miller calls Strauss and Flower, asks if they want Trescothick in the team and, if they do, Miller calls Trescothick, if they don't Miller rules it out completely.

Instead, Miller's playing a silly game with comments like "he's not part of our thoughts at this moment in time". You can't f*** about like this because if they wait until Sunday Trescothick will be so f***ed off with the media standing outside his front door all week he'll probably crack and issue a new statement ruling himself out, and the England hierarchy might then miss their opportunity altogether.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Cook and Bopara both out for single figures for Essex today.
Pieman for Bopara
Fred for Harmy

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pavilionaire;3073664: "Marcus has many times said he's retired from international cricket said:
Trescothick is denying that he has said that he has definitely retired from Test cricket what he has said is that he will not tour again totally different.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trescothick is denying that he has said that he has definitely retired from Test cricket what he has said is that he will not tour again totally different.

Not true. He said in his book that he'd retired and told the Bristol Evening Post two days that he'd finished.

"The 33-year-old left-hander has not featured for England for three years due to off-field problems and is not about to end his international exile.

He told the Bristol Evening Post: "I'm retired, it's done and dusted."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports