Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who or what do you blame for the nations general apathy towards the Royal wedding?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
A good read that sums up the general feeling . . .

Instead, William and Kate's wedding will bind this nation to itself, and in marrying so very far beneath himself, I believe the young prince has made a heroic and deliberate sacrifice to achieve this end.

I think Stewart Lee is giving William far too much credit...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Actually if you pay tax you're helping subsidise it, whether you want to or not.

It's pennies though isn't it?? What do the Royal Family cost us, about a tenner each a year?? That's magnificent value for all they give back.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Also cant believe the Yanks are going so nuts over this - George Washington must be spinning in his grave.

Three of the Yanks I work with are getting up at 4 am towatch it on telly then taking the rest of the day off to celebrate – WTF ?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
All well and good,but will it rain on Saturday,and can the Albion raise their game for another tight looking match ? Is it too late to get tickets for the Notts County game ? What sort of fancy dress party will their be ?
Will there be a pitch invasion ? Will the penalty spots disappear in tupperware boxes ?

In the real world,things eez complicated.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't see what it's got to do with national pride.

Prince William getting married has no more interest or relevance to me than anyone else I've never met getting married. It might as well be just another celebrity suck-fest straight out of the pages of Heat magazine, or Hello! The media fawning is quite ludicrous: it was front page news on The Sun last week that some irrelevant king from somewhere in the far east had SNUBBED Wills and Kate by not coming to the wedding....I mean, how DARE the rest of the world think they can turn down such an invite? They should be GRATEFUL that we even invited them, right?

:facepalm:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Weddings are only ever good if (a) There is loads of free booze (b) The bridesmaids need a good ragging and (c) The speaches are any good

At least this one will have (C) if Prince Phillip has the chance to speak.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's pennies though isn't it?? What do the Royal Family cost us, about a tenner each a year?? That's magnificent value for all they give back.

Please tell me what exactly Prince Andrew gives back, because I'm struggling to see it myself. I think he's more a fan of the "taking" approach than the "giving" one.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Prince William getting married has no more interest or relevance to me than anyone else I've never met getting married. :facepalm:

Don't you get paid double time because of it? That would interest me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who or what do you blame for the nations general apathy towards the Royal wedding?

What are you talking about? What's to blame? One thing this wedding is not struggling from is a lack of enthusiasm. Billions will watch it on TV across the world, likely to be the single most watched TV program of 2011. As for this nations interest, it is immense, just because you don't care for it, or are apathetic about it, doesn't mean everyone sees it your way. There will be hundreds of thousands lining the streets of Westminster tomorrow, there will be thousands of street parties, crikey, there are 4 in my village alone. My wife and most of my friends will be having a party at a friends house with a massive barbecue, the very best Champagne (he is a wine buff) some are even dressing up for it. I don’t think there is ‘general apathy’ at all.

For what it’s worth, I tee off at 10:45, 18 holes, some beers and lunch after, then the train down to Lewes for the evening, no interest in the wedding whatsoever, but I am not stupid enough to suggest there is ‘general apathy’ just because I don’t care.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Three of the Yanks I work with are getting up at 4 am towatch it on telly then taking the rest of the day off to celebrate – WTF ?

You have to remember that America doesn't have a lot of history and very little heritage. They tend to lap up all things royal because they see it as sophistication. As it is when you think they have had the likes of George W. Bush as a head of state actually the Queen looks pretty good.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As for this nations interest, it is immense
No it f***ing isn't. That's just the establishment giving you that impression.

Hardly anyone gives a monkeys, which is why NSC's champion of the banal, crodonilson, is hilariously talking like it is the most important event of the century to date.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

What are you talking about? What's to blame? One thing this wedding is not struggling from is a lack of enthusiasm. Billions will watch it on TV across the world, likely to be the single most watched TV program of 2011. As for this nations interest, it is immense, just because you don't care for it, or are apathetic about it, doesn't mean everyone sees it your way. There will be hundreds of thousands lining the streets of Westminster tomorrow, there will be thousands of street parties, crikey, there are 4 in my village alone. My wife and most of my friends will be having a party at a friends house with a massive barbecue, the very best Champagne (he is a wine buff) some are even dressing up for it. I don’t think there is ‘general apathy’ at all.

For what it’s worth, I tee off at 10:45, 18 holes, some beers and lunch after, then the train down to Lewes for the evening, no interest in the wedding whatsoever, but I am not stupid enough to suggest there is ‘general apathy’ just because I don’t care.

I would say that general interest is far less than the media would have you believe. I can not think of anyone I know, or have met who is vaguely interested, let alone want to watch it (and that includes my young nieces). I'd much rather be with you on that tee - come to think of it, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a tee than watch the charade.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well they are good for the tourist trade yes but they don't do much for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would say that general interest is far less than the media would have you believe. I can not think of anyone I know, or have met who is vaguely interested, let alone want to watch it (and that includes my young nieces). I'd much rather be with you on that tee - come to think of it, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a tee than watch the charade.

I would agree with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here