Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who or what do you blame for the nations general apathy towards the Royal wedding?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hes a colonel in the Irish guards and thats their uniform, although, he is probably in most of the regiments/services in one way or another. Maybe the guards uniform is slightly more glam...

Feb 14, 2010
Wearing an "irish" guards uniform is he? Well that wont go down well in the free state and some quarters of the 6 counties. There we go, people shouldnt worry but they will, so not very wise. Can we vote on this monarchy thing at every general election to give them some credibility or gey rid depending on how vote goes. It ends the argument then. But most of all can we at least start the discussion about what land the country owns ascagainst what land the windsors claim. Good luck to the two kids today tho

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hes a colonel in the Irish guards and thats their uniform, although, he is probably in most of the regiments/services in one way or another. Maybe the guards uniform is slightly more glam...

I accept that he is Colonel in Chief of The Irish Guards and that is their uniform but I would have thought as an actual serving officer he would have been proud to wear the RAF No 1 uniform

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yes, Youre right, but the guards uniform is more media friendly isnt it, and the sort of thing the 'world' expects...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I accept that he is Colonel in Chief of The Irish Guards and that is their uniform but I would have thought as an actual serving officer he would have been proud to wear the RAF No 1 uniform

RAF uniform is nowhere near as colourful, it's to appease the viewing masses I expect, especially those from abroad.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Major differences (MAJOR)
* A head of State with no power
* An upper' house with no power '
* Bishops v Muslim Clerics ... Bishops have no power
* 4-5 year terms and free and open elections
* Free speach (even if people don't like what you say)
* I have not seen our army shooting up protestors in central London recently.

You neglected the part about arranged marriages for aristocracy and royals (oh hold on, I don't think this one was arranged)

The major difference is that Church and State are seperate.

If only this were true.

The House of Lords regularly amends legislation. Though the Commons has the right to overrule on third submission, this power is rarely used. Compromise is normally arranged with the Lords (including those unelected bishops), meaning they do have a very real influence. After all, why would David Cameron have felt the need to appoint so many, if it was without purpose.

We have free speech, but our electoral system makes it difficult for anyone outside the standard parties to make any headway - but that's another issue altogether!

As for arranged marriages, they only didn't do it this time because last time (Chas and Di) the arranged marriage went so spectacularly wrong. Charles finally ended up with the woman he had loved all along, but what a disastrous way to get there.

Also, Church and State separate - sorry, but factually comepletely wrong. Who is the Head of the Church of England? If I'm not mistaken, that'll be Her Maj.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have just said on ITV that Williams car, the Aston Martin wasa 21st birthday present from the ueen and has been modified to run on waste wine from functions etc.

AuntAgonist

Plastic fan
Apr 29, 2011
Also, Church and State separate - sorry, but factually comepletely wrong. Who is the Head of the Church of England? If I'm not mistaken, that'll be Her Maj.

A.S. Hi!

This may be true on paper, but does it matter in reality? Even though Lizzie's the head of state and the head of CoE, she has no effective power in either. Church and state are separate, really. Or do you have a good example that proves otherwise?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sorry... but what sort of functions have WASTE wine?

I would think virtually every single reception or party. If ever you have to clear up after a wedding reception or large party you would realize how many glasses or rather half glasses there are about, especially if like theirs the wine is free and in plentiful supply.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Actually if you pay tax you're helping subsidise it, whether you want to or not.

Not any more, I pay tax in Cyprus now! My tax is going towards the varied mad schemes of the communist AKEL government over here, and tbh, I'd much rather that than this wedding.

Let's try and look at it subjectively, thousands of employees paid from the tax coffers have lost their jobs because apparently we "can't afford them" and those same people are expected to rejoice that the money that could have paid at least some of their salaries is being spent instead on a wedding for two people who are already more wealthy than most of us can imagine.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It's pennies though isn't it?? What do the Royal Family cost us, about a tenner each a year?? That's magnificent value for all they give back.
How many nurses would that tenner each pay for?

How many of the people who have recently had their jobs cut could have kept them with those tenners?

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i for one was actually proud of my roots yesterday...............as a country we do things like that well and are the envy of the world...................fair play to them and I hope that Kates sister comes visit me very soon.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Major differences (MAJOR)
* A head of State with no power

I'll give you this.

* An upper' house with no power '

But not this, the upper house can stop legislation getting through and has.

* Bishops v Muslim Clerics ... Bishops have no power

The Bishops in the Upper House have the same power as anyone else there.

* 4-5 year terms and free and open elections

Elections in the UK are a joke. Every party reneges on their promises and are allowed to openly lie during the election process.

* Free speach (even if people don't like what you say)

That depends what you want to talk about.

* I have not seen our army shooting up protestors in central London recently.

No, but our police did a nice job of shooting up Jean Charles de Menezes. Not to mention the death on Ian Tomlinson.

I have seen many innocent people beaten and/or kettled by the police for daring to protest.

The major difference is that Church and State are seperate.

Errr, wrong again. The Church Of England is a state body. Bishops in the CofE are chosen by the Prime Minister, and the Head of State is Head of the Church.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here