Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who or what do you blame for the nations general apathy towards the Royal wedding?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No it f***ing isn't. That's just the establishment giving you that impression.

Hardly anyone gives a monkeys, which is why NSC's champion of the banal, crodonilson, is hilariously talking like it is the most important event of the century to date.

If that is your tone, then I have to reply with:

Yes it f***ing is.

For a start you are interested in it, by making such a comment, you have shown interest, a negative interest, but an interest nevertheless. Just take a look around tomorrow, see how quiet the roads are, look at the parties going on, listen to the radio, watch the TV. Perhaps it depends on your definition of immense in this context, I wouldn't say it is the vast majority, but with millions (yes, there will be millions) celebrating, I think that represents an immense amount of interest and support.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hardly anyone gives a monkeys, which is why NSC's champion of the banal, crodonilson, is hilariously talking like it is the most important event of the century to date.

No one I know is remotely interested. In fact I know around 10 people who have left the country on vacation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well they are good for the tourist trade yes but they don't do much for me.
Please don't believe all that guff. They are nothing of the sort.

People will still come to visit the crown jewels, Buck Palace, Windsor Castle and everything else we pay for long after the fawning lickspittles have been overcome and the spongers booted out.

No one I know is remotely interested. In fact I know around 10 people who have left the country on vacation.
:bigwave:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Clearly there are people who care, as someone else has said, the sort of people who will camp outside Wimbledon to see Andy Murray, or Timmy back in his day. The sort of people who will buy commemorative plates from M&S.

I'm sure most people are quite happy with the day off, some will watch on TV because it's a bit of a novelty, and even get sucked into the party idea because it's a good excuse for a piss up. But it's not 1981, most people aren't actually EXCITED about it like they were then. They're not sat at home just dying to see what the dress is like. The royal family today are a totally different proposition to what they were thirty years ago, and there isn't, outside the offices of the Daily Mail/Express, that fawning, unquestioning subservience towards them

Yes, the media have lapped it up and are quite obviously attempting to convince us that the world is going to come to a halt tomorrow morning. When in fact most of us might take a passing glance at the TV, or will be out shopping, or sat in a pub, or playing golf, and enjoying the long weekend. Me, I'll be sleeping after a night shift, & I certainly won't be waking up early for it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I would say that general interest is far less than the media would have you believe. I can not think of anyone I know, or have met who is vaguely interested, let alone want to watch it (and that includes my young nieces). I'd much rather be with you on that tee - come to think of it, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a tee than watch the charade.

We've had one bloke drop out (to go to aforementioned party) so there is a space on the tee to make up a fourball if you're interested.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

To be fair Simester I only mentioned what it was like here, and we've got 'Royal Wedding Fever' according to our local newspaper....

Royal Wedding Fever in West Dorset

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
I blame progress...the fact that we're not as naive and uninformed as we were in the 70's and 80's

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If that is your tone, then I have to reply with:

Yes it f***ing is.

For a start you are interested in it, by making such a comment, you have shown interest, a negative interest, but an interest nevertheless. Just take a look around tomorrow, see how quiet the roads are, look at the parties going on, listen to the radio, watch the TV. Perhaps it depends on your definition of immense in this context, I wouldn't say it is the vast majority, but with millions (yes, there will be millions) celebrating, I think that represents an immense amount of interest and support.
The roads and trains are already quiet - lots of people have gone on holiday. Of course, plenty will watch because there will be nothing else on telly, a bit like how people who hate football will still end up watching England lose a World Cup quarter final match.

My main point is that the BBC, a major part of the royal establishment, massively overstate royal popularity.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair Simester I only mentioned what it was like here, and we've got 'Royal Wedding Fever' according to our local newspaper....

Royal Wedding Fever in West Dorset

True, but to be fair, your average local newspaper will round up one old boy in a paper hat with the union flag on and a Labrador named William, find out the village WI are hosting a tea party for the primary school and the members of the bowls club, and conclude that "Royal Wedding Fever" has truly taken over the district.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I won't be waiving the bunting. It is not a patriotic act to celebrate. On the other hand if William had taken one for team GB, I would have been out waiving the bunting with the rest of the loonies. Here's what it takes..

Instead of marrying some fit nobody, our prince should be marrying the sole female heir to a resource rich state with a large inferiority complex. In return for the kudos of marrying into one of the "premier" global royal families, said state would cede all of it's tax raising powers to the British government, to distribute as they see fit. Much better value than a few thousand mental tourists lining the streets of London.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Does anyone or anything have to be blamed for this? I am not in the least bit interested but I don't blame anyone or anything else for that.

Seems to be indicative of the blame culture in this country (and others) that everything has to be somebody elses fault.

Oh, and I will be at work tomorrow.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Who or what do you blame for the nations general apathy towards the Royal wedding?

What are you talking about? What's to blame? One thing this wedding is not struggling from is a lack of enthusiasm. Billions will watch it on TV across the world, likely to be the single most watched TV program of 2011. As for this nations interest, it is immense, just because you don't care for it, or are apathetic about it, doesn't mean everyone sees it your way. There will be hundreds of thousands lining the streets of Westminster tomorrow, there will be thousands of street parties, crikey, there are 4 in my village alone. My wife and most of my friends will be having a party at a friends house with a massive barbecue, the very best Champagne (he is a wine buff) some are even dressing up for it. I don’t think there is ‘general apathy’ at all.

For what it’s worth, I tee off at 10:45, 18 holes, some beers and lunch after, then the train down to Lewes for the evening, no interest in the wedding whatsoever, but I am not stupid enough to suggest there is ‘general apathy’ just because I don’t care.

You only have to talk to people to see the vast majority couldn't give a toss about this wedding.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You only have to talk to people to see the vast majority couldn't give a toss about this wedding.

Come to my village, here in West Sussex, and talk to people, and you'll find that not to be the case here. Have you tried everywhere?

Get over it, some people are into it, some are not, FFS I'm not, I can't stand the whole f***ing charade, but how about you keep your generalisations to yourself? Or at least put it across as your opinion in a way that allows for reasoned debate, rather than a tirade about something you don't care for, when others clearly do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure most people are quite happy with the day off, some will watch on TV because it's a bit of a novelty, and even get sucked into the party idea because it's a good excuse for a piss up. But it's not 1981, most people aren't actually EXCITED about it like they were then. They're not sat at home just dying to see what the dress is like. The royal family today are a totally different proposition to what they were thirty years ago, and there isn't, outside the offices of the Daily Mail/Express, that fawning, unquestioning subservience towards them

Yes, the media have lapped it up and are quite obviously attempting to convince us that the world is going to come to a halt tomorrow morning. When in fact most of us might take a passing glance at the TV, or will be out shopping, or sat in a pub, or playing golf, and enjoying the long weekend. Me, I'll be sleeping after a night shift, & I certainly won't be waking up early for it.

I think this is pretty representative of "the state of the nation". Whilst only a minority will watch it live I'd expect most people will switch on to see at least something of it over the course of the day, even if it's only 5 minutes on the news.

Overall, I don't think people have changed that much, and I put the apathy down to 3 main factors:

1. The Queen. She's 85 and can't do any of the sexy, glamorous stuff like month-long tours of Australia and New Zealand. She's not relevant and doesn't fit in with the 21st Century. Abdication might have been a good option if it weren't for:
2. Prince Charles: He's a bit of a dick and wouldn't be a popular monarch after the Diana fiasco.
3. The humanisation of the Royal Family: Since Diana and Fergie there's no "awe" or "secrecy" to the Royal Family. They work, they get divorced, they pay taxes, they get ill, they die.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here