[TV] Who Is The Biggest Fictional Character?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] drinking buddies?

:kiss:Still a Sour Kraut then!

I would have to go for 'A Good German',as the only ones are apparently dead.

Happy New Year to one and all.:albion2:

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
People who voted for Timmy ???

1535 of them apparently. Don’t forget he stood on a pro Brexit manifesto. So there are nearly 1500 strong brexiteers in Withdean/Westdene. Despite Brighton & Hove being considered the strongest remain constituency’s outside London.

They were not Chicken or fowlie.

HNY to you all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1535 of them apparently. Don’t forget he stood on a pro Brexit manifesto. So there are nearly 1500 strong brexiteers in Withdean/Westdene. Despite Brighton & Hove being considered the strongest remain constituency’s outside London.

They were not Chicken or fowlie.

HNY to you all.

Piss off Timmy.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not religious and I say quite opinionated things on here against the claims of religion. It's not my intention to offend you or others, but then I presume it's also not the intention of religious people to offend me when they tell me their beliefs.

On the way to our game against Bournemouth there was a chap at Falmer Station holding out a sign saying 'God is Love'. I didn't call him out and tell him not to be offensive to those of us who disagree. He's free to state his opinion, as am I to state mine. Criticising the bible etc is nothing like racism, homophobia etc, and obviously doesn't come from the same place.

Although I hold this opinion, I won't be holding a sign up outside the ground, and I won't go around people's houses telling them that god doesn't exist, and I don't think others will be either. But some religious people (a minority to be fair) will be knocking on doors telling people that god exists and we're going to hell for not believing. That's a lot more offensive than posting on a forum that we believe it's a load of nonsense.

I have always found it ironic that the very people that criticise people that believe in god from supposedly ramming their beliefs down their throats can't wait for an opportunity on here to ram down peoples throats their atheist beliefs.

Putting some perspective on this issue...unlike many other countries we live in a fairly secular society where religion isn't for the most part rammed down peoples throats.

A single bloke standing their quietly with a god sign isn't offensive and as far as I am aware the only groups still visiting peoples houses are the Jehovas Witnesses. There is a actually a Jehovas witness church up the road from me in woodingdean and in the 5 years I have lived here I have had one knock on the door. I thanked them, told them I was a Buddhist and they went on their way! Seemed like a nice bunch to be honest.

I have been working in the community for several years and what goes unreported is the good that many religious organisations do, from the quakers up the road from where I work in Eastbourne who have opened a care home offering cheap, subsidised and excellent care for the elderly, the church organisation that are on 24/7 365 suicide watch on beachy head in all weathers to the local church close to my place of work that provides a food bank. Most of this amazing work of kindness is done quietly and with respect.

I really don't see why people are drawn to continually belittle the beliefs of people and organisations like these.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only because the idea of a mythical Jesus was hardly ever discussed. The likes of Richard Carrier are starting to ask some fairly curly questions about the criteria used to determine the historicity of Jesus.

It's because of few secular references. It's 30 years since I studied early church history, but during that time I worked through a linking and referencing process. It'll take a while to explain, but I've never been in doubt of his existence. The question is his claims, or claims others made concerning him.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Yes, but the question isn't 'whose story has the most whoppers in it?'. And even if Jesus hadn't existed, surely God is a bigger character?

Nothing to do with whoppers. Here we have a character who can go from living outside of time and space(whatever the **** that means) to forcing a person to give birth to it as a human male. This character then goes on to perform all kinds of super hero tricks and eventually sacrifices himself for the good of all humanity. Add to this that people still read the books 2k years after the first in the series was published and I think you have the greatest ever fictional character.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

God is definitely a bigger fictional character than the Devil. Using the Hollywood action movie star method of rating by total body count of those they killled in their movies, God is way out in front. In fact, the only ones the Devil has on the scoresheet as far as I am aware are Jobs family, which God kind of dared him to do anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing to do with whoppers. Here we have a character who can go from living outside of time and space(whatever the **** that means) to forcing a person to give birth to it as a human male. This character then goes on to perform all kinds of super hero tricks and eventually sacrifices himself for the good of all humanity. Add to this that people still read the books 2k years after the first in the series was published and I think you have the greatest ever fictional character.
You've just described two characters. I'm going to go with the idea that there was a human called Jesus, and he had followers who believed he was the messiah. So for me, he wasn't a fictional character. But we don't have to agree.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have always found it ironic that the very people that criticise people that believe in god from supposedly ramming their beliefs down their throats can't wait for an opportunity on here to ram down peoples throats their atheist beliefs.
Maybe it's because we've spent years and years being preached to (I went to a CofE school, and went to Church with the school and scouts etc) and the internet gives us the chance to release some of the frustration that years of indoctrination have caused.

Putting some perspective on this issue...unlike many other countries we live in a fairly secular society where religion isn't for the most part rammed down peoples throats.
Like you say, it's nowhere near as bad here as other countries, but it has still been rammed down our throats (less so if your local school and community weren't in any way religious), it's been part of our legal system our whole lives.

A single bloke standing their quietly with a god sign isn't offensive
But people posting online that they think god is fictional is?
and as far as I am aware the only groups still visiting peoples houses are the Jehovas Witnesses. There is a actually a Jehovas witness church up the road from me in woodingdean and in the 5 years I have lived here I have had one knock on the door. I thanked them, told them I was a Buddhist and they went on their way! Seemed like a nice bunch to be honest.
I have had plenty of visits from JWs. I get on fine with them and don't claim they're bad people, but they are standing at my doorstep telling me I'll go to hell. I don't believe them so I don't get upset, but of course that is more offensive than me posting on here that I think god is made up.

I have been working in the community for several years and what goes unreported is the good that many religious organisations do, from the quakers up the road from where I work in Eastbourne who have opened a care home offering cheap, subsidised and excellent care for the elderly, the church organisation that are on 24/7 365 suicide watch on beachy head in all weathers to the local church close to my place of work that provides a food bank. Most of this amazing work of kindness is done quietly and with respect.
That's great. I'm not sure if anyone here said that religious people have never done anything to help others? There are also people who aren't religious who help others too.

I really don't see why people are drawn to continually belittle the beliefs of people and organisations like these.
Two separate things there. I don't imagine the organisations that you're referring to are belittled much. The beliefs of people are another matter though, because they are the cause of so much pain and suffering in the world. No, not the beliefs of our local CofE followers, but the beliefs of those practising Sharia Law and the like. Or the beliefs of the Catholic Church who so regularly see fit to protect those that abuse children. You'd have to be blind to the faults in some religious organisations to not understand why others criticise them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you are going to talk about the virgin birth, please read the relevant verses. There was no forcing a person to give birth. Mary said yes, and then wrote a song about it.

I appreciate that you don't believe it but don't add untruths to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports