Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is next on thew Slade radar

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
same place as the rumours - from peoples' imaginations.

In fairness someone like le fondre who only cost rochdale about 40K are not necessarily out of reach although some suggesstions are clearly crazy. However as they have no intention of letting him go it all remains a fantasy.

You will never stop speculation though and as long as it's lighthearted it's all part of the pre-season hype

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Has anyone seen Le Fondre play ... what is he like? He looks pretty short - a bit Forster esque.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
Plus add in the fact that slade knows that he needs to strengthen up front and in midfield yet still spends 150k on a defender (tunnecliffe) not sure who you know in the club but believe me we have money, not quite in the huddersfield league but we are easily in the top 5 in terms of budget. Slade is boxing clever , not revealing his hand. Tony bloom isnt going to spend 80 million on astadium and not invest in the team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony bloom isnt going to spend 80 million on astadium and not invest in the team.

This season, he said he had a 2 year program so some buys for the future this season to ensure that we do not struggle and finsh at least midtable then further replacements in place for a promotion push next season.

I think that we will will aim for about 8th -10th as a realistic target, with outside hopes of a play off place.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
This season, he said he had a 2 year program so some buys for the future this season to ensure that we do not struggle and finsh at least midtable then further replacements in place for a promotion push next season.

I think that we will will aim for about 8th -10th as a realistic target, with outside hopes of a play off place.

He is talking down our prospects
He and slade have both gone on record as saying they expect the playoffs.
You dont get a second goalkeeper in whose wages are over 100k a year if you arent serious about trying to get promotion.

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
Gary Dicker's loan fee was £25,000, it was mentioned on the OS when he initially signed with us on loan.

Well recently stockport fans have mentioned a much higher figure even so its still 325k spent last season

plus savage alone cost us 32k in wages.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is talking down our prospects
He and slade have both gone on record as saying they expect the playoffs.
You dont get a second goalkeeper in whose wages are over 100k a year if you arent serious about trying to get promotion.

You do if you do not have faith in the goalkeeper you have and I wouldnt think that £100k per year is an enormous amount for that sort of quality, if you can believe those that say that FDM is on a lot more than that.

He is also young enough to be for the near future as indeed are all of RS signings.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Realistically, NO-ONE here knows what our budget is.

If Bloom has provided money for Slade to spend, then we're hardly likely to make a massive show of saying "We've got 2 million quid (for example), to spend", because then the prices of anyone we might be interested in would creep up commensurate with that as soon as the potential sellers get wind.

I have no doubt that if Russell Slade identifies a person or persons who he wants to bring here and who are available at a price deemed suitable, then the necessary will be made available, but trying to work it out in terms of exact numbers is a futile and empty venture engaged in by people who think they know more than they do.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I hope our next one is a quality striker. Some big lump like Akinfenwa from Northampton would be a start.......................

Other than that a midfielder like Thornhill....................

BUT if we are to step it up it may mean we also need to splash some cash too......

Disagree completely. Big lumps are why the England team has been rubbish for years. Barca didn't win the european cup with a big lump and the best 3 players that played Man U off the park were all under 5ft 8. Brazil have won more cups than anyone else without big lumps and er, maradona wast that bad for a short arse. Swansea stormed up the league playing football not hoofing it . Lets play football eh?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that everybody would love to win the division playing fluent football along the ground with inter passing etc but realistically that doesnt happen at this level.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
I think that everybody would love to win the division playing fluent football along the ground with inter passing etc but realistically that doesnt happen at this level.

Yes it does, look at Swansea, and the best teams in our division last yea all played better football than the hoofers that adams turned us into. Its a myth that hoofing it brings success, it did in England in the 80s for Wimbledon, but then blokes woe perms in the 80s as well. Thank god the world has movd on. he dave Bassetts and Micky Adams of this world are thankfully old hat. Passing wins games not aimless hoofs by the Vigos of this world

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
Yes it does, look at Swansea, and the best teams in our division last yea all played better football than the hoofers that adams turned us into. Its a myth that hoofing it brings success, it did in England in the 80s for Wimbledon, but then blokes woe perms in the 80s as well. Thank god the world has movd on. he dave Bassetts and Micky Adams of this world are thankfully old hat. Passing wins games not aimless hoofs by the Vigos of this world

I think our need is for more physical strength upfront, someone who can hold the ball with his back to goal and link the play. With the forwards we already have, I only see two partnerships that could possibly work:
Forster and Murray but only if we play Cox in the hole
Murray and Hart - with Hart trying to hold the ball up

If we could secure someone like Akinfenwa, Trundle or Gerba, i can see us playing some good football and having a 30 goal plus partnership upfront.

Stumpy Tim

Agree 100%. Big man can be a nice option, but the way to get promoted is to play football. When we had Zamora we played decent football

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You do if you do not have faith in the goalkeeper you have and I wouldnt think that £100k per year is an enormous amount for that sort of quality, if you can believe those that say that FDM is on a lot more than that.

He is also young enough to be for the near future as indeed are all of RS signings.

They do have faith in Kuipers tho'... did you read Godden's recent comments... why so negative ALL the time?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think our need is for more physical strength upfront, someone who can hold the ball with his back to goal and link the play. With the forwards we already have, I only see two partnerships that could possibly work:
Forster and Murray but only if we play Cox in the hole
Murray and Hart - with Hart trying to hold the ball up

If we could secure someone like Akinfenwa, Trundle or Gerba, i can see us playing some good football and having a 30 goal plus partnership upfront.

Spot on... we need to replace Owusu...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here