Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC - anti name change petition

Oct 25, 2003
Where do people think he wants to move to. Surely only place is Withdean

yeah although I think this would be a terrible move that would really alienate their fanbase

other option would be to build a new stadium which has been suggested in the past but as we saw, building a football stadium in brighton isn't that easy

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
yeah although I think this would be a terrible move that would really alienate their fanbase

other option would be to build a new stadium which has been suggested in the past but as we saw, building a football stadium in brighton isn't that easy

They should try Waterhall... it's perfect for a football stadium.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
One bad season by Albion and one good one by Whitehawk and they are only 2 leagues apart. Hes on another planet if he thinks Albion would agree to Brighton City. New ground,New name next thing club sold. If he wants the glory why doesn't he buy Hastings football club where there is real potential to advance

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One bad season by Albion and one good one by Whitehawk and they are only 2 leagues apart. Hes on another planet if he thinks Albion would agree to Brighton City. New ground,New name next thing club sold. If he wants the glory why doesn't he buy Hastings football club where there is real potential to advance

Or Worthing?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
They are getting more publicity now than they would with any name change , but now they are not only p*ssing off their own fans they doing their best to p*ss of the Brighton fans too,and whom helped to make they're numbers up on their FA cup run while it lasted.

I thought he came across as quite sulky. If he wants to win friends and influence people, he needs to change his attitude to someone with far less of a victim mentality.

You can dress up as a red lobster and be welcome at Whitehawk but I doubt you would get in at the Amex??????

What planet is this guy on

Really enjoyed the comment about average crowd not even paying for maintenance. Just shows running before they can walk and will plummet downwards when the money leaves.

But hey Brighton City will solve everthing.

If it is true that a name not starting with Brighton would be acceptable why not just accept that and move on.

I'd love to know what first-hand, peer-tested evidence he has that sticking 'Brighton' at the beginning of the name will suddenly catapult them into the next level.

The team on the pitch has brought them 'fame' by nearly getting to the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. Changing the name to Brighton City won't change the fact that (a) people in Brighton would still know them as 'Whitehawk' and (b) people outside Brighton won't care enough to change their allegiance.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Looks like Mr Summer has entered into an incredibly expensive vanity project. If I were a Whitehawk fan I'd be worried looking 10 years down the line.

As for all this ridiculousness about BHA exercising its power behind the scenes, what has it got to do with the Albion. I can just imagine Paul Barber's thoughts on the matter - "Why are you approaching me?" It's an FA matter, not a BHA matter. Even if BHA object, and I wouldn't blame them protecting anything that would damage image and branding rights as we're sadly in a money game here, it's still an FA decision.

Good luck to Whitehawk and their fans. Frankly, it's got nothing to do with me - I support the Albion (and I'm a Brightonian, and very unlikely to suddenly want to become a dyed in the wool Hawk.)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
His argument that BHA have never actually played in Brighton, citing Withdean as part of it (and ignoring the fact that he seems to think we went to Gillingham after Withdean) kinda falls to pieces if he wants to move "Brighton City" to....er, Withdean.

I sort of get where he's coming from with some of it but most of his arguments will only alienate fans of both clubs. And it won't work anyway.

The major thrust of it seems to be "we can't get any sponsorship because Whitehawk is a dump". Not exactly endearing yourself to the supporters.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looks like Mr Summer has entered into an incredibly expensive vanity project. If I were a Whitehawk fan I'd be worried looking 10 years down the line.

There does seem a subliminal threat to withdraw the money if he don't get his way. As an outsider looking in it just seems to me that he wants a football club in Brighton to which he can attract new fans without really having any interest in Whitehawk FC itself. It looks like taking over Whitehawk was simply an easy way to achieve this dream. The problem he has is that ironically the club now has a higher profile and people are going to notice what he is doing and hold him to account.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When all said and done, a football club is mostly a name and a colour. You can move your home ground, change the name of the stadium, buy and sell the whole squad or change owners, but if you change the home colours, especially if the colours play into the nickname, or change the club name, it ceases to be the same club.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Building a 20K to 30K stadium isn't easy.

Building a 5K to 10K stadium may be easier ???

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"I saw this argument on twitter, "when we drew Everton nobody knew where we were".

There was a time when I didn't know where Everton was, or West Bromwich or Aston Villa or Port Vale... but I do now because I took an interest and the clubs play their way into prominence. Whitehawk must do the same.

The Albion represent Brighton on the National stage. Changing their name to Brighton City is pretentious nonsense

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/14218..._of_Hawks_name_change__says_chairman/?ref=rss

He told The Argus: “The silent majority are understanding of what we are doing.

“If you analyse the people who are making this contribution (petition) it is North Stand Chat, people all over the country, people from Hull who have a gripe with their owners, people in Dubai as well as more recent fans – and that is not discounting traditionalists who think Whitehawk is best – but ultimately we do think we are representing the silent majority.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/14218..._of_Hawks_name_change__says_chairman/?ref=rss

He told The Argus: “The silent majority are understanding of what we are doing.

“If you analyse the people who are making this contribution (petition) it is North Stand Chat, people all over the country, people from Hull who have a gripe with their owners, people in Dubai as well as more recent fans – and that is not discounting traditionalists who think Whitehawk is best – but ultimately we do think we are representing the silent majority.

Dont think he likes us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dont think he likes us.

I wonder who he thinks the silent majority are? I know several families who live in Whitehawk, and none of them want the name changed.
It's a bit rich blaming North Stand Chat because the petition goes against his own ambitions.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Of course there are Albion fans on the anti-name change petition, Mr Summers. Not because we're worried about 'your' club stealing our thunder (some chance.....) but because as fellow football fans we think the way you are disregarding the views of Hawks fans is out of order and we are showing our solidarity! Showing solidarity is something Brighton fans will always do, given our history. Your attitude (I 'own' this club, I'll do what I like) is sadly reminiscent of that of a certain Bill Archer all those years ago. No, I'm not comparing you to Archer. You're trying to do your best for the club - I don't think anyone doubts that. But you're doing it the wrong way.

And of course fans from all over the country have signed the petition for the same reason. Especially Hull fans, because their chairman wants to do the same as you,and they stand in solidarity too. We aren't doing anyone's 'dirty work', we are standing together as we did in the Nineties. And you stood with us then, didn't you? Because you're an Albion fan too. I'm sure I saw you at some of our meetings :)

And many of us have a big soft spot for what is happening at Whitehawk, the way so much positive coverage is coming the way of an area, your manor, which has had so much bad press over the years. You should be rightly proud of that. Why should the name Whitehawk scare off investors? The Ultras and the culture surrounding them are transforming the club, and that in turn will have an effect on the image of the area. Take it forward!

We live in the age of modern football, where fixtures are constantly being shifted at Murdoch's whim without a moment's thought for the fans. Saturday 3pm kick offs are becoming an endangered species. For me the one redeeming feature of that is the chance to see the Hawks, stand with the Ultras, drink some lovely Brighton Bier, make a racket and experience football as it used to be and should be. We'll never forsake the Albion, but we'll come when we can, because what's happening at Whitehawk is brilliant. Don't kill the spirit just as it's really growing with a name change and rebranding - then it'll just be modern football at a lower level.

What's happening at the Hawks is a breath of fresh air. Schalke 04 isn't Gelsenkirchen City. Benfica isn't Lisbon City. Feyenoord isn't Rotterdam City. Whitehawk doesn't need to be Brighton City. Please think again.

Of course there are Albion fans on the anti-name change petition, Mr Summers. Not because we're worried about 'your' club stealing our thunder (some chance.....) but because as fellow football fans we think the way you are disregarding the views of Hawks fans is out of order and we are showing our solidarity! Showing solidarity is something Brighton fans will always do, given our history. Your attitude (I 'own' this club, I'll do what I like) is sadly reminiscent of that of a certain Bill Archer all those years ago. No, I'm not comparing you to Archer. You're trying to do your best for the club - I don't think anyone doubts that. But you're doing it the wrong way.

And of course fans from all over the country have signed the petition for the same reason. Especially Hull fans, because their chairman wants to do the same as you,and they stand in solidarity too. We aren't doing anyone's 'dirty work', we are standing together as we did in the Nineties. And you stood with us then, didn't you? Because you're an Albion fan too. I'm sure I saw you at some of our meetings :)

And many of us have a big soft spot for what is happening at Whitehawk, the way so much positive coverage is coming the way of an area, your manor, which has had so much bad press over the years. You should be rightly proud of that. Why should the name Whitehawk scare off investors? The Ultras and the culture surrounding them are transforming the club, and that in turn will have an effect on the image of the area. Take it forward!

We live in the age of modern football, where fixtures are constantly being shifted at Murdoch's whim without a moment's thought for the fans. Saturday 3pm kick offs are becoming an endangered species. For me the one redeeming feature of that is the chance to see the Hawks, stand with the Ultras, drink some lovely Brighton Bier, make a racket and experience football as it used to be and should be. We'll never forsake the Albion, but we'll come when we can, because what's happening at Whitehawk is brilliant. Don't kill the spirit just as it's really growing with a name change and rebranding - then it'll just be modern football at a lower level.

What's happening at the Hawks is a breath of fresh air. Schalke 04 isn't Gelsenkirchen City. Benfica isn't Lisbon City. Feyenoord isn't Rotterdam City. Whitehawk doesn't need to be Brighton City. Please think again.

When it was stated pompey were in trouble they got pelters on here! This solidarity stuff is a bit fickle! We are all equal but some are mo...........:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here