Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC - anti name change petition

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is just embarrassing to read you would think he was the chairman of Roma the way that is written

Chairman John Summers said ‘I made a point of standing on the terraces with The Ultras yesterday at the Chelmsford match to engage with them first hand and they made it abundantly clear to me that although they understood the need to embrace the city, they dismissed the name ‘ Brighton City ‘ as their preferred choice ‘ out of hand. John continued ‘It was good to be amongst them and listen to their views personally and I thank them all for their input yesterday’.

Vice Chairman Nigel Thornton who was also at the Chelmsford game commented ‘It was very brave of John to leave the board room and go down and speak to the fans man to man on the terraces, not many people would have had the nerve to do that and I admire him for that.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Seems like common sense has prevailed but the article goes on to mention other possible names and opening dialogue with fans.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe they've been promised a friendly if they drop the idea ? ???

Have been to see them a few times, will never go again.

Pathetic stance by their chairman, equally pathetic stance by a poster on here, who I once classed as a friend.

I urge any Brighton fan who once went when we were away to now deny them the revenue.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Chairman John Summers said ‘I made a point of standing on the terraces with The Ultras yesterday at the Chelmsford match to engage with them first hand and they made it abundantly clear to me that although they understood the need to embrace the city, they dismissed the name ‘ Brighton City ‘ as their preferred choice ‘ out of hand.

One wonders exactly how many times 'You can stick your f*cking name change up your arse' was sung prior to the decision being reached.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The albion has continually been referred to as 'Brighton' in the media for years.

Unsurprisingly, the club would contest another club trying to piggyback onto that name.

I'm sure Whitehawk Brighton City would have been acceptable, the problem is when a new name starts with Brighton.

Good to see common sense has at last prevailed.

How are their plans for the new ground coming on ? It seems a long time since the CGI sketches were published.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
“They have made it very clear to us that if we are changing our name they prefer other options such as ‘Brighton Whitehawk’ or ‘Brighton East End’ so we will all have a beer together and work to build the club.”

Sound to me like they haven't given up.

How about East Brighton Hawks?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good news, hopefully the owners can move the club forward without worrying about a name change.

I'm sure if Whitehawk FC improved the facilities at their ground more fans will come to watch.They need to bring the ground up to the standard of some of the other teams in the Conference South ( or whatever it's called this year ).

Good luck to them in the future.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Thats how I read it too. I suspect there will be a further application put in next season with support from the fans.

Cynically I wonder if they had received indication that it was going to be unsuccessful and pulled it to save face.

Like I say, just scurrilous rumours going round the Amex yesterday. Not going to give any chancer any kind of opening for calling in the lawyers, or at least certainly not on ME. :wave:

But you had to mention it though didn't you.:wave:
:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here