Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC - anti name change petition

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Port Vale have done reasonably well despite there being no clue as to the town or city where they play in their name. Ditto Albion Rovers, Arsenal, Espanyol, Everton, Forest Green Rovers, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Juventus and Real Sociedad.

Also St.Pauli ... if anything not having Hamburg in their name has done them a massive favour.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The whole name change thing is bollocks, just the same 'it's my money, I'll do what I want' modern football crap at a lower level. The recent cup exploits have put Whitehawk well and truly on the map anyway. Anderlecht doesn't need to be Brussels City. Galataseray doesn't need to be Instabul City. Whitehawk doesn't need to be Brighton City. As the songs go: WE are Brighton, from the South. They are Whitehawk, from........ Whitehawk. And a fun place to go occasionally - the only redeeming feature of our fixtures being shifted around by Murdoch :)

I really have to admit serious ignorance now as I never realised Anderlecht was in Brussels or Galataseray in Istanbul. Somehow, I just assumed they were cities in their own right. I think my point is that these clubs have an identity unrelated to their host city in the same way as Everton in Liverpool and, to a smaller extent, Whitehawk in Brighton. They should be proud of their own identity at Whitehawk otherwise they might as well be ' Little club not far from London United'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
forgive the igonrance, but i thought they'd already been told they cant change the name. so why is it still being discussed? are they planning to not only going against local popular opininon but launch some legal action against the authorities?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
forgive the igonrance, but i thought they'd already been told they cant change the name. so why is it still being discussed? are they planning to not only going against local popular opininon but launch some legal action against the authorities?
They have made a new application to change the name.

Last time it was to Brighton and Hove City, this time to Brighton City.

It is good they have dropped the Hove bit, as they have never had any association with that part of the City, and shouldn't be trying to claim it. As Rev would say, let the people of Hove decide that, not the bullies from Whitehawk [emoji38]ol:

Last edited:

They have made a new application to change the name.

Last time it was to Brighton and Hove City, this time to Brighton City.

It is good they have dropped the Hove bit, as they have never had any association with that part of the City, and shouldn't be trying to claim it. As Rev would say, let the people of Hove decide that, not the bullies from Whitehawk [emoji38]ol:

Good to see the wisdom of the rev is sinking in to the greater nsc public:rolleyes:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If they change the name, they should still have some reference to Whitehawk in it. At least they are not going the whole hog and having a sponsors name followed by their nickname - this is a curse that has yet to hit football yet, but is rife here in South Africa particularly in Cricket - Sunfoil Dolphins vs The Unlimited Titans being a fine example.

Anyone fancy American Express Seagulls vs John Smith's Terriers this weekend?

If they change the name, they should still have some reference to Whitehawk in it. At least they are not going the whole hog and having a sponsors name followed by their nickname - this is a curse that has yet to hit football yet, but is rife here in South Africa particularly in Cricket - Sunfoil Dolphins vs The Unlimited Titans being a fine example.

It will come,

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

It will come,

It has already started. Red Bull have 2 or maybe three clubs where they have changed the name haven't they? Red Bull Salzburg and New York Red Bulls. It will only be a matter of time I think unfortunately. MK Dell if they are forced to drop the Dons as was suggested a while ago?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It has already started. Red Bull have 2 or maybe three clubs where they have changed the name haven't they? Red Bull Salzburg and New York Red Bulls. It will only be a matter of time I think unfortunately. MK Dell if they are forced to drop the Dons as was suggested a while ago?

Red Bull Leipzig have caused quite a stir in that country of fan owned dreams, Germany

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
So if they change the name to " Brighton City FC " then move from their present ground ( that they have hardly spent any money upgrading ) to Withdean would they be able to apply for planning to build housing on their present home ???

Shirley they wouldn't want to do that........

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So if they change the name to " Brighton City FC " then move from their present ground ( that they have hardly spent any money upgrading ) to Withdean would they be able to apply for planning to build housing on their present home ???

A question worth pondering maybe ???

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Anyone can apply to build houses there.

However, they don't own the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here