Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which club in this division.......

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Peculiar question! I'd have to agree with the current consensus of Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:) or Leeds. Delusions of grandeur on both sides.
These. It doesn't help that everytime Alan Green gets a Leeds fan call up on 606 he has to mention that he 'really wants to see Leeds back in their rightful place in the top flight' (paraphrasing). Quite what the hell it has to do with a Liverpool fan I don't know so it must be something to do with him being a twat of the highest order :thumbsup:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
How could you take offence ? Am I wrong ?

I never took offence. You ended it with saying I thought we were having a sensible conversation.
Yes to go into administration is not only wrong it is also bloody stupid, do you think that I as a Palace fan was happy that we did? do you think I could have changed it personally? so what do you actually want from me? what do you want me to say that will stop you and others going over the same things, time after time?, tell me im genuinely interested.
Did you yourselves not lose 8 million? what are you personally going to do about that??

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Over 29 games, they were 20th best in the dvsion, while we were 7th.
Their goal difference was -11, ours was +10
We were undefeated this calender year, they'd only won 2 this year.
Our away record was W5, D6, L3 thei home form is W4, D2, L8

We have recent premier league and champions league experience in Upson and Bridge in our defence, we have slightlymore distant/minimal prem/champ league experience with Kuszczak We have lopez with europa, la liga and champions league experience.
On our bench we had La Liga, Champions League, and Europa experience in Bruno and Vicente,

While they have kirland, Gardner, Prutton, Pugh, Prutton, and Lita with prem experience, it that is minimal and/or distant past.

To say that on paper we should have beaten them isn't a particularly controversial statement.

ok, but the form table suggested a home win. Not sure of definate figures, but 5 wins in about 21 games for the albion prior to the weekend. i would certainly not of put my money on a away win

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
ok, but the form table suggested a home win. Not sure of definate figures, but 5 wins in about 21 games for the albion prior to the weekend. i would certainly not of put my money on a away win

I believe that the form table showed they are second worst at home, at least that's what other posters were saying over the weekend. And that over 6 they weren't as high in the form table as over 8 games suggesting those two games that make them appear better are further back, and that their most recent results weren't as good.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I never took offence. You ended it with saying I thought we were having a sensible conversation.
Yes to go into administration is not only wrong it is also bloody stupid, do you think that I as a Palace fan was happy that we did? do you think I could have changed it personally? so what do you actually want from me? what do you want me to say that will stop you and others going over the same things, time after time?, tell me im genuinely interested.
Did you yourselves not lose 8 million? what are you personally going to do about that??

The sensible conversation ended when you suggested should Spurs finish above say Man U that would make them a bigger club. The rest is all in your own mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
im basing it on RECENT form not the season, so how would you bet this coming Saturday. Head or heart? Recent form or "on paper" as on paper we do have one of the best squads and probably stronger than Hulls?

For the last five home games they are now in 16th (Football365 - Football Stats - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more...), having replaced a loss with saturday's win, make that change and they'd be on 4pts instead of 7, and the bottom two are on 4 at the moment, suggesting saturday's win gave them a big bump. I don't think you can ignore home form for a home game, just because it's a week or two older.

I'm not sure our squad is that much stronger than Hull's. There was, I think, a withdeanwanderer thread about the top flight experience of our squad and why we we should be walking this division. I went through the line ups for Cardiff Hull and I think leicester's games last weekend highlighting how they have just as much top league/european/international experience as we do, and listed a few of the players that didn't make the starting line up. I don't think a Brighton win is so obvious on paper based on squads alone.

With Hull whether you go with recent form, or over the whole season, they are better than us. If you look at home/away over the season and home/away form, for home (form) we're mid-table (mid-table), for away (form) Hull are top (3rd).

Squad says tight game. Long and short term Form says a Hull win. 8 points from 27 v sides in the top six when we play them (which would include 3 each v Millwall and Sheff Wed!) On paper I'd say it's an away win.

We also don't have the best league record for our televised games under Gus.

Neither my head or my heart are looking forward to Saturday's game, expecting a loss (though obviously hoping for a win - I was expecting a loss v southampton at home last season).

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Leeds fans have realised now that they're not entitled to be in the Premier League. In fact, most of them preferred or prefer going to places like Exeter City, Gillingham, Oldham Athletic, Portsmouth, Bristol City etc where locals support their team rather than being ripped off in the Premier League in soulless grounds.

Would have to say Sheffield Wednesday. They'll get used to having no divine right to being back in the top division.

Interesting answer TBF...

I live and work with Leeds fans, grown up around em and to a man/woman/child they all believe they should be in the top flight and have a right to be there and mainly based on crowd size or 'being a big club'.

As I've said loads of Wednesday fans are deluded but definitely not all of us

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Some people, the type that like to put themselves above other fans (you know the type - "I've been to more games" "I have more replica shirts" "I supported us on rainy tuesday nights in crap grounds") like to project the more negative aspects of our fanbase on to those who have started to attend more games now we have the amex. I don't believe it is that simple. I think a portion of our fan base has had those delusions, but tempered them with our circumstances, (instead of "we should be in the premier league" more a "When we get a new ground we'll return to our deserved spot in the premier league").

I think by simple statistics, when you have such an increase in crowds, you will get increases in the groups within the crowd. If, say, 20% of our crowd was deluded that's only abut 1,200 of an average withdean crowd. It would now be closer to 6,000. So, perhaps it is louder, and appears worse now, I think proportionately it is the same.

Our increased crowds aren't all new fans. Some of them are long term fans who, for one reason or another didn't/couldn't go to Withdean, and I imagine the are the same proportion of deluded/reasonable.

While the newer fans who are used to following top premier league clubs I imagine isn't so demanding of instant success as some of our longer term fans paint them as. In fact, I'd go the other way and say just as many are indifferent to losses because their affiliation to the club is less passionate simply due to its new nature, so I don't think there's a skew of new fans being more deluded, proportionately, than long term ones.

I suppose in conclusion, to put it simply by number of people deluded, yeah it's worse, by proportion of fan base, no, I think it's the same.

That underlines some of the views on here...and mine...we're all the same when it comes right down to it and we all have our fair share of moaners that are only happy when they're moaning.
We've all had fans who won't go until so and so is out of the club or we stop playing a certain way and we've all got fans who pay their money so they're entitled to moan/whinge/boo/slate the players...and we've all got fans who truly believe their club should be playing in the top tier...but underneath it all, there's loads of us, at EVERY club that turn up, week in, week out, no matter what division we're in, no matter who's in charge and we actually support our clubs through thick and very thin.

It's only the colours that change...or in the case of Wednesday and Brighton, not even that so much

Beastie

Aug 23, 2010
Since new ground but we did have signs of it in our last season at withdean when we won the league, but that was mainly argueing with saints fans and wednesday fans ( not sure what we have got against each other and where it has come from, seems daft)

No me neither but some fans will pick a fight anywhere and with anyone.

I'm with you on the fans during a promotion year...loads jumped on board last season late on as we had our push and most of them are those that expected us to take this division by storm and stomp our way to the promised land....they'll be gone when things do0n't go right though...well they did go TBH when we were on our losing run.

Doubled edged sword I suppose...we all need more fans but with them come a lot of negatives

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
For the last five home games they are now in 16th (Football365 - Football Stats - Football News, Views, Gossip and much more...), having replaced a loss with saturday's win, make that change and they'd be on 4pts instead of 7, and the bottom two are on 4 at the moment, suggesting saturday's win gave them a big bump. I don't think you can ignore home form for a home game, just because it's a week or two older.

I'm not sure our squad is that much stronger than Hull's. There was, I think, a withdeanwanderer thread about the top flight experience of our squad and why we we should be walking this division. I went through the line ups for Cardiff Hull and I think leicester's games last weekend highlighting how they have just as much top league/european/international experience as we do, and listed a few of the players that didn't make the starting line up. I don't think a Brighton win is so obvious on paper based on squads alone.

With Hull whether you go with recent form, or over the whole season, they are better than us. If you look at home/away over the season and home/away form, for home (form) we're mid-table (mid-table), for away (form) Hull are top (3rd).

Squad says tight game. Long and short term Form says a Hull win. 8 points from 27 v sides in the top six when we play them (which would include 3 each v Millwall and Sheff Wed!) On paper I'd say it's an away win.

We also don't have the best league record for our televised games under Gus.

Neither my head or my heart are looking forward to Saturday's game, expecting a loss (though obviously hoping for a win - I was expecting a loss v southampton at home last season).

you just about summed this week up for me, they are the best side away from home this season bar none and we are not great on the box in the league and also at home, not looking forward to it at all as can see them doing a Watford on us. 2-0 Hull.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The sensible conversation ended when you suggested should Spurs finish above say Man U that would make them a bigger club. The rest is all in your own mind.

So your opinion of a big club is based on turnover? or support? dont just worm out of responding by pouring disdain on somebody else's views, try putting some of your own

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Leeds which also means that SkySports are in that category because they give them far too many live matches still thinking their a big club, outside of the Premiership I'd say Pompey.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do people not realise that in reality ALL clubs message boards are pretty similar. I agree there are some idiot deluded fans (or just wind up accounts) on here and some (vocal minority) who think we're moving quicker than we are.

Fact is all those who voted us are judging from spending majority on football forums reading every thread on nsc...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
So your opinion of a big club is based on turnover? or support? dont just worm out of responding by pouring disdain on somebody else's views, try putting some of your own

There is no definitive answer. The one that you propose is clearly flawed as I have demonstrated. For me it is largely based on what you know about the game and has been stated before if most fans were to list clubs in terms of "size" the results would likely be surprisingly similar. You presumably would point to the league table.

Anyway I seem to have touched a nerve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here