Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where are the successors

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
And why is a ' highly respected ' member of the community going around pubs blagging what should be confidential information to total strangers. What has Lincolnshire FA got to do with the Football League, they're completely seperate organisations.

If anything, this whole story sounds more and more far fetched than ever.

I suspect this guy was talking bullshit and you fell for it hook line & sinker.

But you'll have to ask Bob Pinnock for confirmation. I won't give this kind of rubbish any credance whatsoever, unless the source is either the Club, or the Football League, and by that I mean an OFFICIAL press release.

Why on earth do you believe anyone on NSC would have any knowledge of your random conversation with a complete stranger in a pub, or believe it as gospel truth. It's the act of a conspiracy theorist. If this was true, the club would have asked the FL about it, & the Argus would have heard something through the grapevine. But the ONLY source of this rumour, is one ( possibly inebriated ) bloke in a pub, who is apparently, a well respected person because the locals say so.

Bob Pinnock resigned as a director last year.

First published on Thursday 06 May 2004:
Knight reveals Goldstone bombshell
by Andy Naylor

Albion chairman Dick Knight today revealed the shocking price still being paid by the club for the controversial sale of the Goldstone by the previous owners eight years ago.

The Seagulls have been warned by their auditors they face a hefty bill from the taxman arising from the sale of their former home if their new stadium at Falmer is rejected by Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

They have set aside £347,000 in the annual accounts, which show overall losses have more than doubled to a whopping £891,000 for the year ending June 2003 when they were relegated from the First Division.

The sale of the Goldstone in 1996 by Knight's predecessor Bill Archer left Albion liable for a Capital Gains tax charge. The new Board under Knight claimed roll-over tax relief, setting the costs of developing Withdean against the gain.

Although they were entitled to the relief, it does not entirely extinguish their tax liability and the relief is time limited.

The delay in resolving the Falmer planning application could mean the Inland Revenue will demand payment and Albion will almost certainly have to cough up if Prescott's verdict on the Public Inquiry into the new stadium goes against them.

Knight said: "It is bitterly ironic that, even after eight battling years, the sale of the Goldstone could come back to haunt this club. We will fight on and the message needs to go out to John Prescott.

"He must be in no doubt that the future of the Albion is in his hands. This club cannot survive indefinitely without our new stadium."

Albion's losses rocketed by £534,000 compared with the year ending June 2002. Overall income fell, in spite of promotion to Division One.

A further £267,000 was written off against the costs of developing Withdean Stadium and the club spent another £890,000 on the Falmer planning application and Public Inquiry, increasing the total spent on the scheme to £2.1 million.

Although Albion were playing against bigger clubs in the First Division, average attendances at Withdean were limited to 6,650, a tiny rise generating extra gate receipts of just £37,000 compared with the previous season in Division Two.

The problems caused by the restricted capacity at Withdean were made worse by dramatic losses in income following the collapse of ITV Digital and the re-negotiation of the Football League website deal with Premium TV.

Despite playing in Division One, overall turnover dropped by £113,000 to £4.77 million.

Knight said: "The figures demonstrate the stark reality of playing at Withdean. We entertained some of the largest clubs in the country in Division One, but we could not get any more people in to see them.

"Our gates were the same in Division Three. It is a lost opportunity and just shows how damaging this long, drawn-out fight for our new stadium is."

The figures will cause concern to supporters about the chances of surviving in Division One next season if Albion are promoted via the play-offs.

Martin Perry, Albion's chief executive, said: "At the Public Inquiry a number of objectors said that we should stay at Withdean. These figures show just how flawed that argument is.

"We are struggling to increase the capacity by just 2,000 more seats. To increase the capacity to a level where the club is a viable entity at Withdean is an impossible task."

D

Deleted User X18H

BensGrandad said:
I was looking after a pub in a village just outside Market Raisen when an elderly gentleman came in and was talking about football in general and when he realised that I wasa Brighton supporter started talking about Falmer and how we should get it etc. During the conversation he said' your latest problems will not be helping your cause. Naurally I asked which priblems and he procceded to tell me that the Football League had withheld payment of the money due to us from CARDIFF and were holding an investigation as some money due to them was unaccounted for.

When he left the pub an hour later I asked the locals who he was and they said that he was on Lincolnshire FA and had been for about 50 years. He was a very highly respected meber of the community.

Having been on Surrey FA myself I knew that things like this get mentioned at gatherings of members but sometimes they get exaggerated along the way but there must be an element of truth in this , with probably a perfectly good explanation.

This person had no connection whatsoever with Brighton or indeed the NIMBYs by his conversation so I do not think that he was a grandfather of a NIMBY trying to stir up trouble by my accepting his story and then telling it.

Can anybody confirm that we have received our full entitlement of the money due to us from Cardiff or worse still put any further credence on this conversation I had.

I am having trouble with my old lap top that I take away on jobs so consequently may take a little time to reply if anybody asks me for any other details or information.
Anyone who spells Market RASEN with an I is dubious in my opinion surely if you were there you could spell it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
hove born&bred said:
Anyone who spells Market RASEN with an I is dubious in my opinion surely if you were there you could spell it.

Well spotted and schoolboy error BG

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do think the club needs investment but from where? there is not a lot of people willing to put money into a club with untill falmer is given to go ahead no future, thus falmer is the be all or end all of club

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
34064 Fighter Command said:
And why is a ' highly respected ' member of the community going around pubs blagging what should be confidential information to total strangers. What has Lincolnshire FA got to do with the Football League, they're completely seperate organisations.
B]

Every county Fa has an elected delegate on the FA and they beinmg the parent body of all football in England receive copies of the minutes of EVERY County and senior league meetings for the perusal and comment of its members.

When I was on Surrey FA I had information about many League clubs.Because the minutes have been circulated they are no longer confidential information. This was just two men with a common interest Football talking in general terms.

I am sorry for the spelling mistake in Market RASEN but I am not a horse racing fan and just passed through the village on my way to the pub which was situated along Magna Mile between Mkt RASEN AND LOUTH.

If this is complete bulls..t what did the gentleman have to gain by telling me about it?

Would you expect the club to confirm this if it was true.

Is it not possible that the Argus and or SCR may have heard something but have to be more careful than I do about publishing such a story. I am only asking a question following 'gossip' they would be reporting it as fact, and as such must be doubly sure of their facts.

This could well be rubbish I cannot be certain but as I said originally where are the people who in the past got to the bottom of such stories and dug out the truth?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
Every county Fa has an elected delegate on the FA and they beinmg the parent body of all football in England receive copies of the minutes of EVERY County and senior league meetings for the perusal and comment of its members.

When I was on Surrey FA I had information about many League clubs.Because the minutes have been circulated they are no longer confidential information. This was just two men with a common interest Football talking in general terms.

I am sorry for the spelling mistake in Market RASEN but I am not a horse racing fan and just passed through the village on my way to the pub which was situated along Magna Mile between Mkt RASEN AND LOUTH.

If this is complete bulls..t what did the gentleman have to gain by telling me about it?

Would you expect the club to confirm this if it was true.

Is it not possible that the Argus and or SCR may have heard something but have to be more careful than I do about publishing such a story. I am only asking a question following 'gossip' they would be reporting it as fact, and as such must be doubly sure of their facts.

This could well be rubbish I cannot be certain but as I said originally where are the people who in the past got to the bottom of such stories and dug out the truth?

I would strongly recommend you read the thread called "Club Finances" :salute: :salute:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
I would strongly recommend you read the thread called "Club Finances" :salute: :salute:

I think he is too busy enjoying himself trying to sow seeds of discontent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here