Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When airlines start flying again

Will you be flying before a vaccine is administered?

• Total voters

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We have flights to the US for the October half-term, booked before all this kicked off, and I can't see, practically, how we'd be able to use them.

As you say, there's the obvious health implications of the flight itself, including the airports either side.

Beyond that, there could be issues with insurance coverage, the US could still be in an utter mess and there could be the possibility of having to go into isolation either upon arrival in the US and/or upon return to the UK.

My better half *had* a trip to NYC booked for Sept but has already resigned herself to the idea it won't happen. We have had a Tui holiday in N Africa cancelled and have just got the offer of 20% off a rebooking through.

Struggling with what/whether to book any travel, not through a fear of flying unvaccinated, but just 'will it happen'. We had originally thought about November (as weather about the same as we would have had) but now thinking March/April 2021 and even that seems doubtful (If UK up and running, how do you know your destination will be?)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Doing a BA Baracus/Dennis Bergkamp is the way to go. People are too quick to hop on planes with no thought for the planet.

Holidaying in North Wales is the way forward.

So someone drugs your drink then throws you out of a plane ,you wake up in America and think how did i get here.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve flights booked to Italy in October. I’ll be surprised if there is international tourist travel allowed by then, mainly around insurance issues for travellers. No point in getting on a plane for a short holiday if people are not covered. That will be one consideration, the other will be is the risk worth it? I’ll make a decision closer to the time when we have more information.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve flights booked to Italy in October. I’ll be surprised if there is international tourist travel allowed by then, mainly around insurance issues for travellers. No point in getting on a plane for a short holiday if people are not covered. That will be one consideration, the other will be is the risk worth it? I’ll make a decision closer to the time when we have more information.

Well if you are travelling to Italy you will be covered at least with your European health card, provides some level of cover

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just had an email saying hotel we’ve booked for end August is staying closed until mid October. Full refund (I’d paid in full at the time of booking - over £5k) or rebooking offered......will take the refund as no idea when travel will be possible/sensible at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas for a 30th Wedding Anniversary break ? [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My understanding of aircraft cabin air is that it is pressurised and recycled and so from the minute the doors are closed, the same air stays with you for the entire flight. That being the case, I believe that if just one passenger has COVID-19, that person's exhaled breath will potentially be every other passengers inhaled breath making the probability of cross-contamination very high. In other words, only fly if you are confident that ALL other passengers are COVID-19 free.

My passport expired last year and I've not renewed - Mrs SS' passport expired in Feb-20, she's not renewed either [we both love to travel]. Since we are both type-1 diabetics I can't see us taking the risk of getting on an aircraft until we've had a vaccine.

Seen lots of doubt on here about the effectiveness of a CV vaccine, I'm looking at CV like any other [e.g. Polio, Mumps, Measles, Smallpox] infectious disease - we created successful vaccines for these many years ago so why do we now doubt we can do the same for CV?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
My understanding of aircraft cabin air is that it is pressurised and recycled and so from the minute the doors are closed, the same air stays with you for the entire flight. That being the case, I believe that if just one passenger has COVID-19, that person's exhaled breath will potentially be every other passengers inhaled breath making the probability of cross-contamination very high. In other words, only fly if you are confident that ALL other passengers are COVID-19 free.

That’s a common myth.

There are air filtration systems in place on commercial planes. However, that’s not to say that it is impossible to catch the virus on a plane.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Italy opens its borders on 3 June. So your Italian trip now depends on the UK rules.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Think I'll be waiting to see how much longer the airport 'experience' is going to take before I fly again.

I quite often use easyjet between Gatwick and Edinburgh, only fly with a carry on bag and as the security process had become (in my experience) much more efficient at Gatwick, rarely needed to arrive much more than an hour beforehand.

If it's now going to be a four hour process, then it's not for me. Also need to see what happens to fight prices. If BA pull out of Gatwick, easyjet won't have any competition on the route to Edinburgh. Might think about the night sleeper train again.

Quoting to echo, except I've never been to Edinburgh. I check-in on the easyjet app and use my apple wallet for the boarding pass, and I only ever bring a backpack and suitcase for the compartment. Not sure how I'd feel about being there for four hours, but it would make me think more about what time I'd fly.

I don't see myself going away until at least a month or two back at work. Was hoping to do a cheap flight challenge, with either Ryanair or easyjet, but if fares go up too steeply it probably would be too much of a challenge.

Cornwall5

Mar 4, 2016
HEPA Filters

Aircraft air filters are as good as those used in operating theatres. IATA the airline trade association has found no evidence of anyone contracting COVID-19 on an aircraft.

The hysteria around air travel and the heightened risk is madness relative to shopping in Sainsbury’s. It remains extremely safe and will be very well priced, airlines need to generate cash quickly,

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
That’s a common myth.

There are air filtration systems in place on commercial planes. However, that’s not to say that it is impossible to catch the virus on a plane.

Sure there air filters and there might even be some clever stuff to convert Carbon-Dioxide back to Oxygen [esp for long-haul] but I wouldn't put any faith in such a system being smart enough to filter out the COVID-19 airborne virus ....

Defo a risk too far for a type 1 diabetic.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Greece opens its borders to tourists from 14 June, with charter flights permitted from 1 July. Joining Italy, Spain, Belgium and a large block of countries including Germany and Austria.

Leaving the UK, ROI, France, Denmark and Norway as not yet planning to ease border restrictions.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Greece opens its borders to tourists from 14 June, with charter flights permitted from 1 July. Joining Italy, Spain, Belgium and a large block of countries including Germany and Austria.

Leaving the UK, ROI, France, Denmark and Norway as not yet planning to ease border restrictions.

Is this true?? I'm not questioning what you're saying just thinking could i actually go on holiday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is this true?? I'm not questioning what you're saying just thinking could i actually go on holiday.

Absolutely. Covered in places such as the BBC or Guardian, either piecemeal as each country has made their announcement, or occasionally as a collective in an article reviewIng of how multiple nations are planning tourism this summer.

The one big snag for us Brits .... getting there, then possibly is a fortnight’s quarantine when we get back. A minister made a (depressing) remark last week that we should get used to the idea of no overseas holiday in 2020. Personally I’d have few qualms about travelling in July or August, if the UK authorities give the go ahead, and don’t mind if that means travelling by car or Eurostar.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Providing infection rates remain lowering/stable across Europe I see no reason why there shouldn’t be summer holidays - the past week things are dramatically improving across most of Europe and many places in Europe won’t survive July-September without tourism. I think the ‘air corridors’ idea are good. Perhaps you should have to be tested 24-48 hours before you fly, could be done independently providing the testing capacity is there or subsidised into the travel fare?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely. Covered in places such as the BBC or Guardian, either piecemeal as each country has made their announcement, or occasionally as a collective in an article reviewIng of how multiple nations are planning tourism this summer.

The one big snag for us Brits .... getting there, then possibly is a fortnight’s quarantine when we get back. A minister made a (depressing) remark last week that we should get used to the idea of no overseas holiday in 2020. Personally I’d have few qualms about travelling in July or August, if the UK authorities give the go ahead, and don’t mind if that means travelling by car or Eurostar.

Best get in touch with those nawty people who put people in boats from France ...that’ll get you to mainland Europe ..careful though Farage might be starring in a Youtube video showing you sailing in the distance..mind you he might have a problem understanding why the boat is going in the other direction

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here