[Misc] When airlines start flying again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be flying before a vaccine is administered?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Was planning on going back to the UK for a month over christmas. Probably won't be now. Maybe next summer but most likely, or so it seems right now, it'll be xmas 2021/2. Seems an awfully long way away.:down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Correct, we are even banned from driving into Wales by Johnson

Welsh citizens and councillors in media interviews over the last three days, have made it plain that they don’t want non-locals entering Welsh areas eg Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia. With the police to enforce that.

The message - English day-trippers, tourists and second home owners - pi*s off.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeah, if there is N95 mask on my seat and the pilot doesn't take off until all are being worn.

No problem.

:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Airlines will start flying next month.

Its going to get messy soon, even more so if the FCO advice changes.

If the flight goes and the hotel is open, you wont get a refund.

Unless you’ve booked a hotel with booking.com for example. Their default booking term often appears to be, it’s happened to us fortunately, is that you cancel a few days before at no cost.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Interesting that the vote is presently some 66% in favour of flying pre-vaccine. Whereas the comments are probably 2/3rds against!

For me, it's a no-brainer to fly. Am young & in good health and shall take reasonable precautions of face mask / gloves ETC, far worse things to worry about quite frankly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Unless you’ve booked a hotel with booking.com for example. Their default booking term often appears to be, it’s happened to us fortunately, is that you cancel a few days before at no cost.

Im interested to see how free cancellation evolves moving forward.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they binned it or they charged an admin fee to do so.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting that the vote is presently some 66% in favour of flying pre-vaccine. Whereas the comments are probably 2/3rds against!

For me, it's a no-brainer to fly. Am young & in good health and shall take reasonable precautions of face mask / gloves ETC, far worse things to worry about quite frankly.

We will get to the point where it’s going to be personal choice for the less at risk hide away or get on with it.

I can only go on what I’ve seen and people are rebooking via Virgin.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
We will get to the point where it’s going to be personal choice for the less at risk hide away or get on with it.

I can only go on what I’ve seen and people are rebooking via Virgin.

Absolutely - and it will be much the same for travelling on other forms of public transport and even to dining out etc!

Good to hear people are still booking, I won’t be with Virgin, but only because Heathrow is a pain in the ar*e to get to from here when compared to Gatwick!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I don't think an effective vaccine will be available for everyone for several years, so probably will fly before it arrives.

That said, I've not flown anywhere since 2017 and had no plans to before this all started, so doesn't actually change much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A life where I can’t fly seems pretty shit to me. Personally I’m not bothered about a vaccine or getting the virus myself, but I have a concern I could pass it onto to someone innocent person and cause them harm so I need to reconcile this. But then again this is the case with many bugs and illnesses I guess. We do plan to go away the minute we can though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I was thinking exactly the same. Plus remember that the NSC demographic, especially regular posters, is mainly people of an older age group to you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s also worth remembering vaccines are not absolute and 100% efficacious. Even if one did exist there will still be huge swathes of the nation who will not be immune.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I said this on another thread but travel companies will not survive July/August without package holidays/flights happening, and despite what Spanish authorities say many parts of Spain will not survive without British tourism, and by British tourism I don’t mean the muppets that sit around drinking €2 pints all day in Benidorm so parts of Europe and airlines are going to pull up trees to get some kind of tourism up and running.

Everything depends on the next 2/3 weeks imo, if Spain and the rest of Europe continue to see a decline in fatalities and cases then air travel will be likely back on the cards for summer, with precautions, if there is a second wave then absolutely no chance, unless a drug is developed to treat COVID.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I like a drink I like the odd smoke and drive 40 to 50,000 miles a year for my job, covid 19 is way way down on my fears of dying TBH. And the virus is here so we have to live with it, we can’t hide away for ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports