Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the most DEPRESSING defeat you ever saw?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Then it all livened up - the highlight being a superb full length diving save. By Rod Thomas.

That was absolute quality and the only time I have ever see an outfield player pull off a save like that. A crafty hand or a hand above the head leap yes, but never a full length dive with arms and fingers outstretched.

Shame he got sent off :lolol:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
5-1 against Stoke was worse than last night (not that I saw last night's game), mainly for the spineless performance, and the fact it was the last match of the season which meant we had all summer to brood over it.

Yeah but that was more or less a friendly so didn't matter.

I'd go for the Notts County Play-Off Final. I was gutted that day.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That Stoke one 5-1 at home was hard for the reasons already stated.

5-0 away to Palace. The play off final in 91.

Oddly enough the cup final defeat in 83 didn't hit me as badly as at the time I was of an age that believed we would be back several times in the years to follow (mad fool). That defeat has therefore got worse and worse as the years have gone by.

Last seasons defeats to Crewe and Swindon were very hard but suspect there is worse, just not as recent.

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
For me would definatley have to be the FA cup loss at the Goldstone to Sudbury Town in the 96-97 season.

More recently the 4-0 loss to relegation rivals Crewe at home last season was a low point.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
In line with the general doom and gloom today I was wondering what was the most depressing Albion defeat you ever saw? Not necessarily the biggest but the one that left you smothered under a dark cloud of misery?

I suppose the 5-0 at Palace will rate highly but for me it as a 4-0 defeat away at Barnsley in the League Cup in about 1983. It was a midweek game, the excitement and novelty of reaching the top division had long since worn off, we were a struggling side and Barnsley, no glamour team obviously, were in the 2nd divison at the time. All these factors combined to reduce the travelling attendance to only about 70-80 Brighton fans; basically one coach and a few intrepid souls like me and my mate who'd made our own way up. Barnsley utterly outplayed us and the Brighton players, like the fanbase, were totally disinterested in the match. Because of the exploits in the 1970s the League Cup was still 'our' cup at the time and for the first time I had a real fear for the future if the fans were going to desert the club like that.

Mind you, our away attendances in the 1st division were never THAT great, certainly not a patch on what we get now.
We lost 4-1 to Barnsley and it was in 1981.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i would say last night, but i wasnt there, i would then say five nil to palarse but again i wasnt there. my worst brighton memory ever, the worst game i have ever seen in fact, was brighton vs carlisle at carlisle last year. cant remember if it was 3-0 or 3-1 but i do remember we were god awful. i remember el abd trying to trap the ball and actually letting it slip under his foot and off the pitch, not exactly the actions of a professional footballer. worst thing was, i had taken one of my mates to that game to try and convert him to a brighton fan :annoyed:

eaglehater

Feb 18, 2009
Hi Ive never posted on here before just read lots of opinions? but what about walton & hersham followed by leatherhead at the goldstone, and there was one afternoon i recall (maybe a sunday not sure) when we stood where sainsburys is and lost.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Too many to list after 44 years of support but the 5-0 at Palace ( scoring finished at 59 mins ! )was very painful, following the trauma of Sheff.Utd on Coppell's debut ( losing 4-2 after being 2 up, with some dodgy penalties thrown in )
The two 4-0 at Brentford, when we couldn't have argued if they had got ten.
The 1-0 home defeat to Leatherhead in the FAC, when 20,000 turned up, expecting an easy passage to rnd4.
The play-off final defeat to Notts County ( huge anti-climax after sensational wins v Millwall )
But for sheer unbridled misery over 10 days in 1973, have a dose of this....
Nov.28..FAC Rnd1 Replay v Walton & Hersham ( h )...lost 4-0
Dec 1st Div.3 v Bristol Rovers ( h)...lost 8-2
Dec 8th DIV.3 V Tranmere ( a )....lost 4-1
Cloughie obviously put 10 men behind the ball after that as we only lost the next 2 games 1-0 !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that Stoke (5-1) game stands out because of the sheer couldn't-give-a-shit mentality that the players exhibited that day. We'd been crap all season, we were signing off with nothing to play for, yet the fans still bothered to turn up. It wasn't the scoreline, or even the dismal quality of the play that hurt, just the total lack of effort or enthusiasm from the team. It was like they all turned up and gave a great big f***-You to the crowd.

The Palace 5-0 was monumentally bad just in terms of ineptitude: to this day I still struggle to think of a worse individual display from a professional footballer than the one Kerry Mayo put out. It got to the point where you felt sorry for him.

As for last night- well it might have been a shocker, but I've actually been to games I've enjoyed considerably less. In a perverse way, if we'd lost 2-1 to a controversial last minute goal I'd probably have been more pissed off. I keep telling myself that last night was a freak result, when everything clicked for Huddersfield (they are a decent side, bear in mind) and everything went tits up for us. And I have also managed to convince my brain that it was a sort of watershed, that at least now things can't get any worse.

Famous last words, eh? :lolol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Swindon last season at home,up until that defeat i still thought we could get out of the shyte and stay up,i remember sitting in my car after the game shouting obcenities at my innocent dashboard absolutely gutted. as it turned out it wasnt the final nail in the coffin but it felt like it at the time.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The 8-2 against Bristol Rovers. I was expecting a big win that day.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
The 8-2 against Bristol Rovers. I was expecting a big win that day.

I turned to two mates when we got it back to 1-2 and said..." mark my words, we will win this 3-2 "
At half-time, when we were 1-5 down, I was getting fearful stick and had to live with those comments for a long time afterwards.

Mostyn

Aug 20, 2008
W.Yorkshire
Northampton away - 1996 - lost 3-0 - Ashley Neal's debut allegedly as a defender but in reality about as useful as a chocolate teapot - waste of a day

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
5-0 at Smelworst was bad but losing 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham (Brian Clough was in charge) was easily the worst.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In line with the general doom and gloom today I was wondering what was the most depressing Albion defeat you ever saw? Not necessarily the biggest but the one that left you smothered under a dark cloud of misery?

I suppose the 5-0 at Palace will rate highly but for me it as a 4-0 defeat away at Barnsley in the League Cup in about 1983. It was a midweek game, the excitement and novelty of reaching the top division had long since worn off, we were a struggling side and Barnsley, no glamour team obviously, were in the 2nd divison at the time. All these factors combined to reduce the travelling attendance to only about 70-80 Brighton fans; basically one coach and a few intrepid souls like me and my mate who'd made our own way up. Barnsley utterly outplayed us and the Brighton players, like the fanbase, were totally disinterested in the match. Because of the exploits in the 1970s the League Cup was still 'our' cup at the time and for the first time I had a real fear for the future if the fans were going to desert the club like that.

Mind you, our away attendances in the 1st division were never THAT great, certainly not a patch on what we get now.

You mean this match?!

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kBq91lwEeU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kBq91lwEeU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Suicidal defending on the fourth goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here