What's the most DEPRESSING defeat you ever saw?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But for sheer unbridled misery over 10 days in 1973, have a dose of this....
Nov.28..FAC Rnd1 Replay v Walton & Hersham ( h )...lost 4-0
Dec 1st Div.3 v Bristol Rovers ( h)...lost 8-2
Dec 8th DIV.3 V Tranmere ( a )....lost 4-1

I was at the Bristol Rovers and Walton games.

Add to that the Sudbury Town cup replay when a team of posties, farmers and dustmen dumped us out of the cup 4-3 on penalties during the 96-97 season.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Depressingly I seem to have been at most of these games! Miserable memories!
For the Club, the most depressing was the 2-3 to Darlington under Case in 96/97. Only 2700 there and it really felt like "will the last one out please turn the lights out". Personally, however, the worst was the defeat at Kingstonian in the cup. Didn't an ex-Palace player score for them? Worse, I had persuaded an Everton-supporting mate who lives in Kingston to come along and I then had to go back to his house and be polite to his missus, my missus and various neighbours who knew f* all about footie but thought it quite amusing that we'd lost. All I wanted to do was go to the boozer and take it out on 6 pints and the bog door!
PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Meant to add that last year's last minute defeat at Orient was heartbreaking as it was my eldest' 16 birthday and he'd been looking forward to the game for weeks.
PG

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You mean this match?!

Suicidal defending on the fourth goal
Blimey, I didn't realise there was TV footage! Shows the old memory's going a bit as I got the year wrong (I thought I had), but I honestly don't remember us scoring!

Obviously in retrospect it meant bugger all, as has been pointed out the defeats during the last season at the Goldstone couid have been potentially more devastating (and were equally depressing); ditto some of the defeats at Priestfield. But for me that Barnsley match was the first time I realised that we were probably on a downward slope both on and off the pitch; in the previous seven or eight years I'd just seen defeats as temporary blips in our upward progress to European qualification. (A bit like Huddersfield I hope turns out to be).

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
1-4 away at Barnsley in the League Cup 3rd Round in 1981.

We were the Division One big boys with a team full of stars and Barnsley were Division Two strugglers.

I was in the Barnsley end with a load of Barnsley mates - as I lived there at the time. We scored in the first few minutes and I was leaping up and down in this sea of red. I was soon shut up as Barnsley went on the steamroller us 4-1 and they could have scored six or seven.
The headline in the local daily paper the next day was "Barnstormers".
I had to go back to work the next day and was reminded of that result for the next three years until I moved away!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports