Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What’s best for a bacon sandwich? Streaky or back?

Well?

• I’m backing back!

Votes: 107 70.4%
  • The streak shall inherit the earth!

Votes: 45 29.6%

• Total voters

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I dont think you are meant to add extra components and stuff, its not in the spirit of the thread. Its a BLT isnt it

If we are allowed to bend the rules though I like my bacon sandwich with no bread, and added black pudding, sausages, baked beans, mushrooms and 2 fried eggs, with a pot of tea. And extra bacon

Oh Yes !!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I’m not a genius..........I wish I’d thought of it but it was more a random discovery. Had small amounts of both in the fridge and a fresh loaf......so cooked it all up. It was a revelation! I buy both now just so I can mix them [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just buy middle cut - they sell it in decent butchers and in M&S. You get a nice bit of back connected to a long bit of streaky.

Now, time to share a weird version of the bacon sandwich. Greek style pitta (not Turkish), bacon, hummus and hot sauce - sounds horrible, tastes great. Another version which works weirdly well is the bacon with Marmite hummus in the pitta. Don't knock it until you try it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Forget the argument over bacon types, some chancers are suggesting no sauce or even worse, ketchup, with their bacon sarnie.

It's HP. Or surrender your passport, frankly.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Back. And, what's more, add some crunch by chopping off the rind fat and cooking that separately. Easiest way is to cook both the bacon and the offcut fat in the oven (in separate trays).

Bonus is you also get a whole lot of bacon fat oil from cooking the fat. Pour that off into a container, when it cools it'll go solid. Keep in the fridge, use it instead of butter and you've got yourself a triple-bacon sarnie.

(Edit: Back in my yoof in Australia back bacon came with not just the rind fat, but the actual skin on as well. Now that really did crunch up a treat!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forget the argument over bacon types, some chancers are suggesting no sauce or even worse, ketchup, with their bacon sarnie.

It's HP. Or surrender your passport, frankly.
There’s some real wrong ‘uns on this thread.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Either, but must be smoked from Butchers , not the water added stuff in plastic from supermarket.
That's really the way it's cured and you get dry cured stuff from supermarkets too (and butchers sell the other stuff)

My preference is non nitrates cured streaky.

The naked brand or Waitrose own brand.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Made a good mistake when shopping this week Bought streaky instead of back. It made best sandwich ever. Cut bacon up into small pieces and all came out very crispy. By cutting up able to spread over all the bread

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just been watching the perfect Auf Wiedersehen Pet S2, Barry thinks a mix to keep all happy.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Well. The responses are all very Brightonian.

For me, streaky bacon, standard white bread, perhaps a touch of red sauce according to taste. There’s no call for artisan breads or exotic variations on the theme of bacon here. Jamie Oliver and his ilk can keep well away from my bacon sarnie, thank you very much.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well. The responses are all very Brightonian.

For me, streaky bacon, standard white bread, perhaps a touch of red sauce according to taste. There’s no call for artisan breads or exotic variations on the theme of bacon here. Jamie Oliver and his ilk can keep well away from my bacon sarnie, thank you very much.
I’ll go brown sauce but other than that, spot on.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find a really nice trick is to grill one side of both slices of white bread.

Assemble the sandwich with the toasted side facing out.

You get the crunch of toast followed by the soft white bread that has soaked up the butter and bacon flavours.

Lovely stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here