Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What would you do about this season?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
End it now, no promotion, no relegations, start the new season, when it’s safe, and everyone starts on 50% of the points they’ve accrued the season.

Either that or just abandon it totally, no nothing for anyone, and start a new season when it’s safe to do so,

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Bin it. Instead of having meetings coming up with ridiculous ideas to finish the season, have meetings instead how football can spread the financial cost amongst itself for all clubs.
Give Liverpool and Leeds some medals.

AM888G.500.jpg

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Sky report that Paul Barber has come out against the proposal to restart this season in neutral stadiums, and Albion is the first club to do so. What a fantastic man he is. It is an appalling idea. Great that Albion leads the way in putting the good of football ahead of financial considerations.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Make it a double season perhaps, with all teams across all leagues playing each other 4 times and then all of the promotions, relegations and titles are still legit. Would also spice up the title race with Liverpool 25 points clear but now with 47 games to go!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will fans get refunds for season tickets and Sky subscriptions for a season that never existed?

Different argument entirely, but I froze my Sky Sports subscription weeks ago when they offered.

BHA had 5 home games left. If they never get played, then I'd expect either an offer of a refund for those games, or a discount on the following season ticket to the same value. You shouldn't be expected to pay for something you don't get.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
agreed tried to cancel Dazn foe only a week, who just happened to have maintenance ongoing so you couldn’t pause or cancel.

grrrr dazn *shakes fist* shitty company.

ABout the season. Bin it, but give Liverpool the trophy. Seems daft not to.

DavePage

grrrr dazn *shakes fist* shitty company.

ABout the season. Bin it, but give Liverpool the trophy. Seems daft not to.

I know but have to like them a tad, good quality live games home and away. I never had that when I lived in England.
I can even watch them when i'm at work (renovation) on my phone.
Only trouble is when we lose I still have to finish work early.
moody sulky English person syndrome, but they never get to see that lol

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you were in charge what would you do about football?

Personally, I would scrap this season give those who are heading their respective divisions the championship and then reorganise as follows:

PREMIER: Increase number to 22 by promoting top 2 from Championship
CHAMPIONSHIP: Remain at 24, no relegation, but top 2 from League 1 promoted.
LEAGUE 1: Increase to 24, no relegation, top 3 promoted from League 2.
LEAGUE 2: Decrease to 22, no relegation, Barrow promoted from National League.

By having 22 in bottom division allows room for the league to straighten out again in the future.

FA Cup scrapped, top 7 in Premiership go into Europe.

Following season I'd do a version of what some South American leagues do, namely have an opening and closing Championship. In this case League positions would be adopted after playing 21 games should this situation happen again.

What do others think?
Scrap the season as it is, award league trophies on current table positions. No relegation / promotions this season and we start in August ( hopefully) with the same constituent teams as August 2019.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Thank goodness two clubs are not neck and neck at the top. As it is nobody will argue about Liverpool receiving the title.
I agree with the quote above from ‘Theatre of Trees’ . Sounds good to me.

Stumpy Tim

Different argument entirely, but I froze my Sky Sports subscription weeks ago when they offered.

BHA had 5 home games left. If they never get played, then I'd expect either an offer of a refund for those games, or a discount on the following season ticket to the same value. You shouldn't be expected to pay for something you don't get.

Yep don't worry - let Uncle Tony pay everyone back

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thank goodness two clubs are not neck and neck at the top. As it is nobody will argue about Liverpool receiving the title.
I agree with the quote above from ‘Theatre of Trees’ . Sounds good to me.
Except Liverpool at this point haven’t won the title, didn’t they only beat plucky and on a bad run of games?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I know but have to like them a tad, good quality live games home and away. I never had that when I lived in England.
I can even watch them when i'm at work (renovation) on my phone.
Only trouble is when we lose I still have to finish work early.
moody sulky English person syndrome, but they never get to see that lol

When it works it's very good. When it doesn't...

If I was really into sport I would probably like it a whole lot more but unfortunately only soccer ball floats my boat and these days, only really the albion, so it's a bit pricey.

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
I was trying to construct a proposal to complete this season (with delays) and realised was highly impracticable, so my proposed solution factoring in the financial impact (mainly on lower league clubs) is as follows :

a) Void season for all leagues, with no promotion or relegation
b) Allow players whose contracts end on the 30th June to be transferred. (gives losing club the chance to re sign player or get a small fee for sought after players).
c) For next season take the opportunity to rearrange leagues 1 and 2, to regional leagues (league 1 north and south), enabling savings on travelling costs and potential for increased crowds.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It could be a good time to reset the Football League in line with the Premier League by changing division sizes to 20 teams and creating a new League 3 if enough professional teams survive to make up another 20.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here