Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What would you do about this season?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm getting really tired of the suggestion that teams in the current promotion spots should be promoted. Its just a SNAPSHOT of the table, with a quarter of the season still to go. In no possible way is it justifiable to promote teams when its not yet been EARNED.

And yes Liverpool can have their gong because they're a mile ahead and it makes no difference whatsoever to anyone, and it won't affect next season one iota either. Promotions through divisions though - thats a whole different call that affects numerous teams the following season and beyond. If you ain't earned it, then sorry, you don't just get "given" it. Tough shite.

Hit the reset button now. Set the DeLoreon for 1st August 2019, with all divisions intact, and we start again from there (whenever the game can return). Suck it up. All other plans and schemes lead to untold complications.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If you were in charge what would you do about football?

Personally, I would scrap this season give those who are heading their respective divisions the championship and then reorganise as follows:

PREMIER: Increase number to 22 by promoting top 2 from Championship
CHAMPIONSHIP: Remain at 24, no relegation, but top 2 from League 1 promoted.
LEAGUE 1: Increase to 24, no relegation, top 3 promoted from League 2.
LEAGUE 2: Decrease to 22, no relegation, Barrow promoted from National League.

By having 22 in bottom division allows room for the league to straighten out again in the future.

FA Cup scrapped, top 7 in Premiership go into Europe.

Following season I'd do a version of what some South American leagues do, namely have an opening and closing Championship. In this case League positions would be adopted after playing 21 games should this situation happen again.

What do others think?

Whilst you have some creative solutions, they are unfair to teams in L2, the very teams that are likely to need the most support. The revenue from the 2 home matches you propose shedding and a potential FA Cup run can make all the difference of a team surviving or going to the wall

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
End the season at the half way stage where everyone has played each other once, promote, relegate and Europe as was at that time.
Then get on with plans for how we may even start next season

Terrible idea. For starters, after 19 games (the halfway point) we'd already played Spurs twice. The PL doesn't simply split 50/50 like that across the board, heck last season didn't we play Plucky twice within a month ? Not to mention tough trips to Anfield, the Etihad, Old Trafford, wherre you're binning off the return leg at home, and thats just off the top of my head. You're basing a league table on a totally warped halfway-house competition that has huge ramifications for clubs at the bottom in particular. Its nonsense.

The only viable, least-worst option IMO is to void it and start again, whenever that may be.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Personally, I'd draw a line under it. Just start next season whenever we can with the same teams in the same leagues.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally, I'd draw a line under it. Just start next season whenever we can with the same teams in the same leagues.

Absolutely. There is no perfect solution, but this is the least-worst for everyone. It is perhaps fortunate that when the world ended, in the EFL, NOBODY had been promoted, and NOBODY had been relegated. So in that respect, its left as a relatively straightforward decision. Start again. Some get a reprieve, some get disappointed from a decent position, but honestly, the alternative suggestions are all complex bobbins fraught with the potential for litigations. So go with the simplest, and crack on from there.

Its only football. And (hopefully) its only 1 season that gets junked.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bin it. Void. No title, no relegation, no promotion. Start afresh when we can.

Agree 100% Unlucky for those hoping for promotion but anything else would be unfair. Behind closed doors is bad enough but to play at neutral grounds would be a farce. The negatives far out way positives as far as trying to squeeze 9 games in.. So likely that at least one player will get virus and that would put an immediate stop to games

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gosh I don’t think this has been discussed before.

Umm finish the season whenever it’s ‘safe’ a word that’s going to be open to so many interpretations

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
Has to be voided surely, assuming games would be played in same order as original fixtures West Ham v Villa last day of the season imagine a scenario where West Ham are 4th bottom and Villa 3rd bottom and 3 days before the game 4 WHU players Test positive. Could very possibly happen and would throw everything into disarray. Just got to forget this season and start again at some point when safe.

DavePage

I'm getting really tired of the suggestion that teams in the current promotion spots should be promoted. Its just a SNAPSHOT of the table, with a quarter of the season still to go. In no possible way is it justifiable to promote teams when its not yet been EARNED.

And yes Liverpool can have their gong because they're a mile ahead and it makes no difference whatsoever to anyone, and it won't affect next season one iota either. Promotions through divisions though - thats a whole different call that affects numerous teams the following season and beyond. If you ain't earned it, then sorry, you don't just get "given" it. Tough shite.

Hit the reset button now. Set the DeLoreon for 1st August 2019, with all divisions intact, and we start again from there (whenever the game can return). Suck it up. All other plans and schemes lead to untold complications.

Will fans get refunds for season tickets and Sky subscriptions for a season that never existed?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm another one for scrapping the season and starting again when it's safe to do so. Total reset. Start again as if it were the beginning of the 19/20 season.

If ONE player dies of COVID after a hurried restart the shit will hit the fan and scatter so far and wide it'll never be forgotten...

Give Liverpool the title if they want it. It's pretty meaningless now anyway. :shrug:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
All I'll say is that we would be nowhere near as cavalier about canning the season if this was back in 2016/7 on the brink of promotion to the top flight for the first time in over thirty years.

Having said that, as each day passes it seems more and more likely/reasonable to void the season, or grant promotion with no relegation. I just don't think we should be so unsympathetic about it to Leeds, Liverpool etc.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bin it. Void. No title, no relegation, no promotion. Start afresh when we can.

This. But if a majority of the other PL teams want to give Liverpool the title then just give it to them. But nothing else. European places same as last season (unless City's ban is upheld, in which case bump everyone up one).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ally I'll say is that we would be nowhere near as cavalier about canning the season if this was back in 2016/7 on the brink of promotion to the top flight for the first time in over thirty years.

Having said that, as each day passes it seems more and more likely/reasonable to void the season, or grant promotion with no relegation. I just don't think we should be so unsympathetic about it to Leeds, Liverpool etc.

I agree ...which is why we shouldn’t be in a rush to write off this season...or indeed start the next

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bin it.

We stay up
Liverpool don't win the league
Leeds don't get promoted

I can't see how this is anything but a good thing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Can it completely, unimportant tosh.

Today the NZ club team that competes in Rugby League here are flying in ahead of the competition restarting very soon. NZ is in complete lockdown still, Australian borders are apparently closed but somehow sport is exempt? The players will go into two week isolation ahead of training before the competition starts. How the hell can social distancing be enforced in a contact sport?

We still have horse racing going on here. Easy to enforce the distancing rules there huh?

I may not be able to turn off my Albion emotions entirely, but top level sport will never get my respect again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here