Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What would you do about this season?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you were in charge what would you do about football?

Personally, I would scrap this season give those who are heading their respective divisions the championship and then reorganise as follows:

PREMIER: Increase number to 22 by promoting top 2 from Championship
CHAMPIONSHIP: Remain at 24, no relegation, but top 2 from League 1 promoted.
LEAGUE 1: Increase to 24, no relegation, top 3 promoted from League 2.
LEAGUE 2: Decrease to 22, no relegation, Barrow promoted from National League.

By having 22 in bottom division allows room for the league to straighten out again in the future.

FA Cup scrapped, top 7 in Premiership go into Europe.

Following season I'd do a version of what some South American leagues do, namely have an opening and closing Championship. In this case League positions would be adopted after playing 21 games should this situation happen again.

What do others think?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bin it. Void. No title, no relegation, no promotion. Start afresh when we can.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Bin it off.
Void is the only sensible answer.
All teams stay in the divisions they’re currently in and European places for next year are taken by the team’s finishing in the top 6 spaces from last season.
This season never happened

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Some of the Dutch divisions have mathematically dizzying arrangements where the season is divided into quarters and the winners of each quarter enter the play-offs etc. Could be a bit of that to it now that everyone's aware that a new version of the part-apocalypse could arrive at any moment.

Every ballbag game between us and Burnley, say, might suddenly become full of meaning. Trophies don't get handed out at Christmas (but they might, subject to government guidelines around social distancing.)

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
1. Open a transfer window from 1 June.
2. Resume the 2019/20 season only when spectators are permitted. Yes, this might not be until 2021 or later. Close the transfer window shortly before the recommencement of matches.
3. Make a decision regarding the start and format of the next season only when the 2019/20 recommencement date is known.
4. If, and when, socially acceptable, hold a behind closed doors competition in the intervening period before the 2019/20 season recommences (but also allowing for a short break between this new competition and the recommencement of the 2019/20 season).

I see 2. as being the fairest way of resolving the current season. 4. would placate the TV companies, give the public something to watch (on TV) and keep players match fit, without materially affecting what’s left of the integrity of the 2019/20 season.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Bin it. Void. No title, no relegation, no promotion. Start afresh when we can.
I agree.

I understand there are financial issues, but all this faffing about by the Premier League is very unseemly.

Move on and start afresh next season, something currently 27,000 will not sadly be able to do.

TB

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anything other than voiding the season means the competition rules would need to be changed mid season. To me this. Is unacceptable and leaves the possibility of a legal challenge.

Restarting it only needs one player to test positive and it’s in disarray. This could be at any point up to the final game and what a complete mess that could be.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d bin this season and start afresh in August/September.

And the fact that Brighton will escape relegation this way had no bearing at all on my reasoning. :whistle:

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
Since UEFA and FIFA like complicated draws I suggest that the results to date are voided, then:
Teams are put into four pots -
Pot A: British owned teams with British managers
Pot B: British owned teams with non British managers
Pot C: Non British owned teams with British managers
Pot D: Non British owned teams with non British managers

Champions League and Europa cup places drawn from Pot A. If insufficient numbers then others drawn from Pot B.
Relegation places drawn from Pot D. If insufficient numbers then others drawn from Pot C.

Similar for a Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Team captains call the toss of a coin for each remaining match. And it should be televised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here